Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 05:59 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
If you're going by what you see in WH Center, keep in mind a huge percentage of those people come from the surrounding communities of Avon, Simsbury, Burlington, Canton, etc.
Agreed on WH center. But I was thinking of those "WeHa" stickers, which are ridiculously pretentious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 06:02 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
But I was thinking of those "WeHa" stickers, which are ridiculously pretentious.
Seriously? LOL! That is pretty bad...

Old 08-22-2014, 06:49 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Quote:
Agreed on WH center. But I was thinking of those "WeHa" stickers, which are ridiculously pretentious.
Newtown is also big into the stickers on cars.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:32 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Litchfield, more than Roxbury and Washington? Hmm.

What are residents in Washington and Roxbury pretending to, exactly? The year round residents are wealthy and low key - and that's why they live there - or local people trying to make ends meet with jobs servicing the wealthy and living in the few rentals in town.

The weekends are kind of miserable - just set foot into Marty's in the Depot on a Saturday and you'll see - but all of that element gets back into its Land Rover of Manhattan-branded urban jungle navigation devices on Sunday afternoon.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:50 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Quote:
I actually have one of those stickers. The proceeds from those went towards a local charity which prompted me to buy one. There's definitely a few snobs here but I wouldn't go so far as to label the whole town as such. JMHO.

I don't find WH Center pretentious. Just crowded and loud. And I live steps from it yet I spend little time there. Go figure. Not sure if pretentious is the right word, but whenever I'm on Park Road and I see these rail-thin hipsters in those skinny jeans I just roll my eyes. You see it there all the time and I think to myself, "oh please."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764
Wilton and surrounding towns are among the wealthiest in the country. Avon is not, but they - and others in the Hartford area - certainly think they are.
There's definitely that mentality up here among some people in greater Hartford, but personally I don't associate it with the affluence of lower Faifield County. Granted, there's definitely some wealth up here, but it's a smaller percentage of the population and it's to a lesser degree. The wealthy up here have made their $ in various jobs (such as college professors, attorneys, doctors, etc.) whereas the affluent in lower FFC tend to make their fortunes in finance (particularly in the hedge fund industry) and they have far more money. Having said that, I'm glad that up here we DON'T have that sort of extreme wealth you see in lower FFC. If we did, there wouldn't be a middle class. Not that it's cheap up here, but a middle class family or individual (like myself) is able to make a living up here and live comfortably within their means. I can't say that about lower FFC, unfortunately. It's a lovely area, but it seems many people are getting priced out of it. That isn't happening up here.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 08-22-2014 at 09:05 AM..

Old 08-22-2014, 10:19 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,001 times
I figured OP meant pretentious in name only. As in, what the name itself "sounded" like.

Maybe he should come back to clarify.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:25 AM

48 posts, read 56,053 times
I would think Greenwich is more pretentions than Darien or New Canaan. (I lived in Darien & Grenwich). Greenwich demographics actually cover all income scales from low income (Byram) middle class ( Cos Cob / Byram) to Upper & 1%ers (Back Country, Norht street area etc.) I found that people in Greenwich tried harder to "fit in" or justify themselves to their neighbors or other Greenwich residents. Darien & New Canaan don't have any low income housing and are somewhat more homogenous in their income demographics (everyone has similar income levels).

Dealing with outsiders is another matter, Darienites feel superior to their neighbors in New Canaan and New Canaan feels the opposite is true. No one ever bothered with Greenwich as it was too far away as was Westport/Wilton, etc. As for the rest of the state Darienites made sure to let people know they were from Darien (and therefore superior to them.) Either by plastering their cars with Darien Lacrosse/Hockey/Field Hockey/etc.. stickers or making sure people know they live in Darien by wearing a Darien hat or t-shirt for their chosen sport. Of course not all people are like that, we had some truly great friends who could care less where you lived or whether you drove a BMW or a Mercedes.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:50 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I actually have one of those stickers. The proceeds from those went towards a local charity which prompted me to buy one. There's definitely a few snobs here but I wouldn't go so far as to label the whole town as such. JMHO.

I don't find WH Center pretentious. Just crowded and loud. And I live steps from it yet I spend little time there. Go figure. Not sure if pretentious is the right word, but whenever I'm on Park Road and I see these rail-thin hipsters in those skinny jeans I just roll my eyes. You see it there all the time and I think to myself, "oh please."

There's definitely that mentality up here among some people in greater Hartford, but personally I don't associate it with the affluence of lower Faifield County. Granted, there's definitely some wealth up here, but it's a smaller percentage of the population and it's to a lesser degree. The wealthy up here have made their $ in various jobs (such as college professors, attorneys, doctors, etc.) whereas the affluent in lower FFC tend to make their fortunes in finance (particularly in the hedge fund industry) and they have far more money. Having said that, I'm glad that up here we DON'T have that sort of extreme wealth you see in lower FFC. If we did, there wouldn't be a middle class. Not that it's cheap up here, but a middle class family or individual (like myself) is able to make a living up here and live comfortably within their means. I can't say that about lower FFC, unfortunately. It's a lovely area, but it seems many people are getting priced out of it. That isn't happening up here.
I live in the heart of lower FFC, 8/10s of a mile from the coastline, am middle class and living very comfortably within means and know tons of others doing the same.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:25 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
I live in the heart of lower FFC, 8/10s of a mile from the coastline, am middle class and living very comfortably within means and know tons of others doing the same.
But what do you consider middle class? Because that can vary tremendously in comparison to other parts of the state, like where I live. A person making $100,000 a year can still find themselves living on a tight budget down there, whereas up here it's alot easier to get by on that. I don't doubt what you're telling me, but IMO the definition of middle class in FFC vs. Hartford County can vary.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:26 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,086,726 times
Yeah, my friend makes close to 100k and doesn't live lavishly in Norwalk... he is fairly comfortable but not as well off as he would be if he went to Hartford...but then again in Hartford his salary would probably be 75k, so it averages out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut