Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 06:14 AM

7 posts, read 9,102 times
Ok thank you all very much!!
I'm feeling better about the winter. We saw the news of the big storms & snow everywhere ( a while ago now) & it looked rather formidable. Was imagining myself stuck indoors for 5 months.

ETA - my winter indoor hobbies include drinking red wine & eating too much. Not good! Thank god we don't have a long winter..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 06:26 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustGirlSydney View Post

ETA - my winter indoor hobbies include drinking red wine & eating too much. Not good! Thank god we don't have a long winter..
If your winter temps are in the 50's and 60's, you'll be drinking a whole lot of wine in CT. Keep in mind, some of the posters here complain of the "heat" when it hits 50, others like myself complain of the "cold" below 70, so you'll get a wide range of opinions.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:31 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,209 times
Normal winters are just that - normal. Outside of the freak 1 meter snowstorms or extreme cold snaps, generally winter days range from the 20Fs to 40s and you can do pretty much anything outside - walking, jogging, biking. We just had the Super Bowl here last year and it was 55F that day, and the next day it snowed, so anything can happen as well.
Rowing is fairly popular here in the Stamford area due to the calm waters of Long Island sound and rivers leading into. Saugatuck Rowing club in Westport is one I can think of.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:37 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,195,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
1 meter is about 39 inches, I believe.
39.37" but who's counting.

However for the OP this snow amount may be too much coming from "down undaa".

Old 08-23-2014, 06:39 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,220 times
OP if you don't like the cold, I would think twice about moving here...

Old 08-23-2014, 06:59 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Current temps in AU. I believe it's night time there (late Evening)

I'm not familiar with the climate there so I cant compare what the OP would be coming from. Maybe she can post some winter monthly averages so we have an idea?

Old 08-23-2014, 07:39 AM

23 posts, read 21,836 times
Have any of you actually been to Australia to compare temperature and climate? I have I study abroad there for a semester at Bond University in Robina on the Gold Coast.

Weather and Climate are totally different! Sydney does not get snow...the Blue Mountains may but they are Mountains and lovely Mountains at that.

Australia is a fantastic country I would love to go back one day not sure if you live in Sydney or a surrounding area, but it WILL be a HUGE adjustment mainly in the "culture" and "pace" of the places Australia is a very active country with sports and activities the beaches and etc also very laid back...Sundays alot of places close except for the restaurants and bars. We are not so laid back here.

So it depends what your looking for and want to live, but I am sure you will like it here, but going from Australia to the Northeast USA will be definitely an experience, it does get cold here, but not as cold as Northern New England and in recent years we have gotten hit with a lot of snow...so, if your ready for it, go for it!

I can't wait to go back to Australia and my advice to everyone on here skip the European tour and take the 24 Hour flight down under go see the Great Barrier Reef, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay, Sydney, and of course meet the great and friendly Aussies.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:41 AM

23 posts, read 21,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Current temps in AU. I believe it's night time there (late Evening)

I'm not familiar with the climate there so I cant compare what the OP would be coming from. Maybe she can post some winter monthly averages so we have an idea?
This is their "late" winter temps...remember they are in the southern hemisphere so seasons are opposite...

Old 08-23-2014, 07:54 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Well, if it's over 45F (7.3 C), you go golfing :-)

In a typical winter, there are usually plenty (the majority) of days with no snow cover and temps over 40F. For those used to the climate, outdoor activities are no issue (biking, jogging, etc.).

And when the snow does come, there are plenty of places within reasonable driving distance to learn how to ski.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:05 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,370 times
In winter you have lots of fun options

1) B&B Victorian inns off peak season are wayyyy lower cost than in summer and with the relaxation of blanket snow delicious home style breakfast and fireplace ...yummy

2) snow tubing in Woodbury with hot apple cider and a bonfire below the lift

3) ski sundown advanced and bunny slope for beginners

4) Outdoor ice skating rinks in Hartford

5) indoor water park in Waterbury

6) getaway drives my favorite being going up to North Conway New Hampshire ski area just if not for a vibrant place up north...

7) mall outlet shopping can be a way to warm up in winter

8) metro-north to New York City and there's a place with abundant winter stuff to do

I would say winter is more quiet than summer but winter doesn't have to be boring. The snow on a blue sky day is a pretty sight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut