Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 01:20 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

In the winter, I pretty much stay in doors 99% of the time and do things such as video games, visiting friends and family, shopping, etc. I don't do any outdoor sports or anything. For me, hibernation begins in November and I don't step outside until May. My entire family is the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 01:13 AM

7 posts, read 9,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yes but you have to understand that anyone coming from Sydney, AU (I have lots of family there) has no idea how cold 20 or 30* actually feels, nevermind the two or three cold spells we get where it gets down to the single digits for a few days. It's not much about the snow as it is about the cold, and it just doesn't get that cold there. If the OP is posting about being concerned with the winter and cold, they will not be okay with winter here.

My cousin wanted to move to New York, and was slightly concerned about the winter. I told her everything you're telling the OP. She moved here from Melbourne, AU and only lasted two winters before she decided she wanted to move to a warmer climate in the USA. She lived in San Diego for a few years before going back to AU.

It's not what you make of it when your body is simply used to a completely different climate. It takes a lot of adjusting, just like you and I can't move to FL or AZ and be perfectly fine with the summer heat for the first few years.
I think this is a fair point too. But I do think body acclimatising is probably a pretty personal thing. Me being 'concerned' about the winter there, by asking how you get through winter, does not mean I won't cope. I just need to understand how you live through it so we can cope better & at least have an idea of what to expect. I've lived through a winter in Canada - you adapt, but that was 20 odd years ago & I didn't have kids to think about.
You've all helped me to realise that snow is not to be afraid of, doesn't fall in 6foot heaps daily (lol), & can be loads of fun! Bring it on!
We don't plan on being there forever, could be 3 years, could be 20, you never know do you. We may love it or we might hot foot it to San Jose asap. You don't know until you try right? That's living right!!

Old 08-25-2014, 04:12 AM

304 posts, read 397,104 times
The UK climate, as well as Ireland, France, are Temperate Oceanic. Most of the weather comes from the west off of the Atlantic Ocean- we all know that large bodies of water moderate a climate to the east of that body of water. Climates in the US, which are very much like The British Isles would be Portland OR, Seattle , Vancouver BC. In these locations weather is from the west off the Pacific ocean.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:55 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Quite frankly, I think CT is one of the WORST places in the winter. Going either north or south is better.

Go to N Maine and the snow is celebrated there with endless possibilities for snowmobiling, skiing, ice fishing, etc

Go to the Carolinas and its pleasantly nippy with fall like temps dropping to freezing on occasion.

But in CT you get NOTHING when its cold and snowy, the traffic is a nightmare, and people complain non-stop. You just don't get that vibe at all in N Maine when the white stuff falls from the sky, unlike here.

It really sucks and I'm not looking forward to it.

This state really needs an extensive snowmobile/ATV trail system like our neighbors to the north do. Its truly pathetic what we have here for recreation compared to VT, NH or ME
For a second I thought I had typed that, but I agree 100%. CT IS the worst winter, not cold and snowy enough for real winter activites, and not warm and sunny enough to truly enjoy the outdoors. its always a mix of brown, cold rain, sleet, slush, icy. mess.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:30 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
Let's see, I love to hibernate so we nestle inside with the fireplace going. Add in a nice cast iron beef stew with dumplings or chili and a glass of red wine. I'm probably odd in that I enjoy going out and snowblowing my driveway and interacting with the neighbors as they do the same. Sledding and quiet dinners out when the snow falls just enough to keep many locked indoors is always a treat. We are not big skiers but there are more than enough places to go.

We also take an occasional trip up north to VT/NH and find a nice lodge to spend a weekend in. Winters are time to truly relax for me as the outside is dormant and packed up for the season and you get to work on interior projects that have bugged you or been put off during the warmer months when you want to be outside. Just yesterday I was planning out my wood pile move and realized it's still August. Right around this time of year I'm getting pumped for Fall, my favorite time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut