Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Stay In Connecticut?
Yes 24 48.00%
No 26 52.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 12:40 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,089,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
Now THIS is an example of a helpful post--sweeping generalizations about a state whose population is >38,000,000 (800% of CT's population!) Please elaborate as to what constitutes 'disgusting'.

While CA is absolutely not for me (far too expensive, congested, and liberal), you have to be kidding me when you claim that it has nothing to offer beyond beaches and weather. Last I checked, San Diego was 'kinda' nice, the mexican food would a couple of notches above Taco Bell, the Bay Area had some pretty decent tech jobs, and there were some kinda decent universities named Berkeley and Stanford. But, then again...what would I know?
Disgusting means lots of meth and gangs. Once you get into the cheaper sections of CA, that's how it is. Lots of garbage on the streets too, and there is a large homeless population probably because the weather is nice. San Diego has VERY nice parts, but then again it also has some not so nice parts with a lot of meth heads.

I didn't look in the Bay area, not familiar with it. I'm referring to southern CA....LA and SD in particular.

Last edited by JayCT; 08-31-2014 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: Removed flame
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 12:43 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
In your future, I see a cab ride. have fun out in the sticks (plains and desert)
Will do. I know, only the coasts matter...the rest of the US is merely 'fly-over country'

Old 08-29-2014, 03:12 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
Will do. I know, only the coasts matter...the rest of the US is merely 'fly-over country'
Oh, I don't care, I was just joking. It was a line from the movie of your screen name.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:36 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
I had a big case of grass-is-greener in my early 20's. One great thing I've come to appreciate in CT is its location.

Where I am now, I'm a little over an hour to Manhattan, 2 hours to Boston, 2 hours to Newport, a little over an hour to the RI coast and gorgeous Watch Hill, a day trip to Block Island, weekend trip to Cape Cod/MV/Nantucket, the Hampton's, countless historic attractions, 2.5 hours to southern VT ski resorts, 3-4 hours to Green/White Mountains, 3-4 hours to the Maine Coast, 6 hours to Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park, 5.5 hours to Montreal, 6.5 hours to Quebec City (which is like stepping into Europe), 2 hours to Jersey Shore, 3 hours to Philly, 5 hours to DC.

The list goes on. And I missed myriad little weekend/day trip opportunities. I literally don't have the time to take advantage of all the different things we have accessibility to. That doesn't even account for all the international airports we have access to.

People that say living in CT is boring are likely pretty boring themselves. And do it to themselves by staying in their bubble.

There are few areas in the country that are near so much. The Bay Area comes to mind. Not many others.

That is why despite all the challenges CT faces, it's still one of the most expensive places to live in the country. Location, location, location.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:47 PM

123 posts, read 233,411 times
I DID live in SoCal. For 5 years. I didn't see any meth heads. I was close to Irvine, one of the safest cities in the USA. I KNEW of bad areas, in Orange County, of course. But....I avoided them, easily. Lake Forest, CA was the nicest place I ever lived. Anyway, sorry to derail.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:32 PM

811 posts, read 1,739,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I'd certainly pick CT over upstate NY. I studied at the undergraduate level in the Rochester area. Beautiful campus and incredible memories, but the economy is non-existent and the sun really does not come out from November through April. The summers are beautiful though.

I would stay in New England in any circumstance.
Upstate NY especially the Buffalo area is improving right now. I'd say the economic revival is coming off cheap real estate that is now being developed. Also there's some energy and medical business that is coming into the area. They've certainly had a nose dive in population over the past few decades. I'd say they've probably bottomed and turning the corner but it will take a LONG time to regain or rebuild.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:04 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I love CT, but we probably would not live here if it were not for family in nearby NY. It's very hard to keep my husband's business up and running here. Taxes and business expenses aside, which are hard to swallow for sure, there just isn't the number of licensed and skilled tradespeople in our employment pool as is needed to run a fully-operational business. My husband would LOVE to hire someone who might only have the skill and ability and a willingness to learn this point, but not necessarily a license just yet. This option, however and unfortunately, is regulated by the state and per the state, it's off the table; the state says hiring an unlicensed plumber beyond your stipend is a big FAT no-no.
Attention parents of the not-so-academically inclined children, but who happen to be geniuses with their hands - do us all a favor please: do not send your kids to college for yet another worthless bachelors degree; send them instead to technical school. We all need them. Desperately! Thanks!!

There is nothing wrong with a blue-collar career. As you know I myself work with my hands and last year the wife and I bought in 105k in earnings. I'm tired of hearing about college, college, college, if what you want to do requires a degree then yes you should go.

But for the kids who are thinking about building success following a different path, the skilled mechanical trades are good, farming and agriculture are good, entrepreneurship is good if you have experience in a certain industry and some start up costs, a military career is good if you are cut out for it, pick the right MOS, and take advantage of every opportunity the military offers.

Stop lying to to these kids and telling them if they don't go to college they will be losers, it's simply not true, I'm an example of this, my uncle who was an electrical contractor and could afford to live in a 800,000 dollar home is an example of this, my old boss who started in automotive when he was 18, worked his way up to management, and with salary and bonus is about 65-75k a year is also an example of this.

Stop putting these kids in debt and stop telling them college is the only way, it's a lie, it's not the only way.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:53 AM

678 posts, read 847,395 times
People keep trashingFFC and I can understand where you're coming from, but, is this including Upper FFC? Or do we just think of Norwalk and Stamford along with the gold coast when we shun FFC? For all I care, I'm sitting here pretty without most of the issues people have mentioned (traffic, NYC vibe to the max, etc). Granted, I live in an above average affluent CT town that's really aimed for families or folks about to have a family, but, if you just leave all that aside and look around, it's so beautiful up here. =)

I voted without involving family, because, that will single-handedly decide for me, and it doesn't represent my opinion of Connecticut. For people talking about traffic, I can understand I-95 for the most part, but anywhere else in Connecticut doesn't make much sense. Atlanta, Houston, Los Angeles, etc all have their share of traffic nightmare. I say we're pretty lucky as to how compact Connecticut is and how the local roads can be taken advantage of. Try going from Moorpark to DTLA. That's enough time for me to go from Danbury to PVD on a Saturday morning. x_x (Slight exaggeration may have been involved).

Old 08-31-2014, 05:24 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
There is nothing wrong with a blue-collar career. As you know I myself work with my hands and last year the wife and I bought in 105k in earnings. I'm tired of hearing about college, college, college, if what you want to do requires a degree then yes you should go....Stop lying to to these kids and telling them if they don't go to college they will be losers, it's simply not true
True, but it all depends on what type of career you want. I have two college graduates, we encouraged them, they knew what they wanted to do with their lives. A technical job such as plumbing/electrical etc. was not what they wanted. We never told them they would be losers, it was their decision. What is wrong with furthering one's education? CT is one of the most educated states in the U.S., most kids go onto college after high school. Thinking of the kids I know who went to college, they knew what they wanted to do, and knew a bachelor's degree was necessary to do it. Nowadays most jobs require a bachelor's degree in CT. If you don't have one, there are 30 recent college graduates applying for that job that the employer will be eyeing first. Job experience doesn't count as highly as it did 20 years ago. If you want a good paying, full-time job with benefits, most jobs will require that degree. Now, if someone wants to be a mechanic/plumber/electrician they will just need technical training, but otherwise most fields will require that degree here in CT. Elsewhere in the country employers are more flexible in their requirements.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 08-31-2014 at 05:55 AM..

Old 08-31-2014, 07:08 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
True, but it all depends on what type of career you want. I have two college graduates, we encouraged them, they knew what they wanted to do with their lives. A technical job such as plumbing/electrical etc. was not what they wanted. We never told them they would be losers, it was their decision. What is wrong with furthering one's education? CT is one of the most educated states in the U.S., most kids go onto college after high school. Thinking of the kids I know who went to college, they knew what they wanted to do, and knew a bachelor's degree was necessary to do it. Nowadays most jobs require a bachelor's degree in CT. If you don't have one, there are 30 recent college graduates applying for that job that the employer will be eyeing first. Job experience doesn't count as highly as it did 20 years ago. If you want a good paying, full-time job with benefits, most jobs will require that degree. Now, if someone wants to be a mechanic/plumber/electrician they will just need technical training, but otherwise most fields will require that degree here in CT. Elsewhere in the country employers are more flexible in their requirements.
I agree with everything you stated, but is that the way it should be especially when accompanied by six figures of college debt? Are we facing a crisis/shortage of technical professionals. Serious questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut