Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 07:07 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
Harlem??? That is a really bad neighboorhood, I wouldn't live there. Another city to check out is White Plains.
You obviously do not know Harlem. It is going through a rebirth and has for many years now. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 09:42 PM

678 posts, read 847,395 times
Washington Heights area is actually pretty nice and can be relatively cheap when we're talking about Manhattan, but, I don't know too much about it. Just a thought.

Anyways, staying close to the train station in Stamford would be ideal for you, it seems. I don't know far $1,200 will go, however, for that kinda commodity.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:14 AM

173 posts, read 220,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynJack View Post
Hi All,

My girlfriend recently accepted a job offer in Stamford and I work in Manhattan. We currently live in Brooklyn and her commute to Stamford is about 2 hrs. It is slightly manageable right now but during busy season when she has to work late and start early it might be a hassle. We currently own the home we live in Brooklyn and trying to to see if renting an additional apartment in Stamford would be reasonable.

We are looking for a studio/one bedroom/loft in a safe neighborhood. Since I plan on commuting to Manhattan and her building is right by the Stamford train station it would best if it is walking distance to the Stamford Metro North Station. Is it possible to find a place no more than $1200/month in the area?

Also a parking space would be a huge plus I know this might be asking too much. Is it safe for street parking, I would like to bring my car up to Stamford sometimes.

If not can anyone recommend neighborhoods near by or options that we could possibly consider. We would consider a smaller place to keep the price down since we have our own place in Brooklyn and the main purpose of the Stamford apartment is for when she has to work late.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

If someone can recommend specific apartments that would be great as well.
Look at Woodside green Condos Plenty of rental units and lots of parking Easy walk to downtown Stamford which has a nice night life and a mile walk to the metro North.45 min car drive to the City on weekends and 45 mins train ride and it is very safe area. I am from the Bronx and moved to Stamford in 06 and own a unit in Woodside green.Stamford may not be NYC but it is very close to it and has lots of stuff going on in the Summers

Old 08-29-2014, 09:45 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
Harlem??? That is a really bad neighboorhood, I wouldn't live there. Another city to check out is White Plains.
I live in Harlem and your statement is not accurate. Harlem encompasses a large swath of northern Manhattan and has many sub-divided areas. It is vast and wide, and almost all of it is gentrifying quickly and prices are rising fast. It's actually full of many generations of lower to middle class families who have lived here and make it such a safe community. Some of the housing projects are questionable, but that is true no matter what neighborhood anywhere--NYC or elsewhere.
I live in Northwest Harlem and it is such a terrific, quiet and growing neighborhood. Prices are rising quickly, however, and it is by no means a "bad" neighborhood. A bad neighborhood is a generic stereotype and a lot of people don't understand the dynamics of cities and neighborhoods and demographics.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:47 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I live in Harlem and your statement is not accurate. Harlem encompasses a large swath of northern Manhattan and has many sub-divided areas. It is vast and wide, and almost all of it is gentrifying quickly and prices are rising fast. It's actually full of many generations of lower to middle class families who have lived here and make it such a safe community. Some of the housing projects are questionable, but that is true no matter what neighborhood anywhere--NYC or elsewhere.
I live in Northwest Harlem and it is such a terrific, quiet and growing neighborhood. Prices are rising quickly, however, and it is by no means a "bad" neighborhood. A bad neighborhood is a generic stereotype and a lot of people don't understand the dynamics of cities and neighborhoods and demographics.
Agreed. There are still some small problem areas of Harlem, mainly on the east side, but for the most part it has improved a lot.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:31 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Agreed. There are still some small problem areas of Harlem, mainly on the east side, but for the most part it has improved a lot.
Yes, absolutely. In 3-5 years, the central and northwest sides of Harlem will be completely gentrified, most likely--to the dislike of some, but to the excitement of most.

The East part of Harlem is still somewhat hit or miss, but it too, will ultimately be completely gentrified as well, in 10-15 more years, maybe less.

On the whole, all of Manhattan is a lock for investment opportunity and potential--and right now Harlem should be a no brainer for real estate investment and for a still somewhat reasonable renting/buying situation in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut