Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 10:34 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,074,455 times

Advertisements

CT doesn't really have bad job prospects if you're an experienced or educated person. I had NO problem finding a job in finance and my fiancee had no problem either. I worked my whole life, including jobs I didn't like, and never quit before I had another lined up. So yeah CT has bad job prospects if you're lazy or uneducated ....companies here don't want you. Sounds like his wife is lazy, so for her, job prospects will be bad. All these stupid "job creation" lists aside....we have some awesome high paying jobs here. Just because we don't have a plethora of walmart-ish jobs doesn't mean job prospects here are bad..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 10:38 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,474,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadoo342 View Post
ct doesn't really have bad job prospects if you're an experienced or educated person. I had no problem finding a job in finance and my fiancee had no problem either. I worked my whole life, including jobs i didn't like, and never quit before i had another lined up. So yeah ct has bad job prospects if you're lazy or uneducated ....companies here don't want you. Sounds like his wife is lazy, so for her, job prospects will be bad. All these stupid "job creation" lists aside....we have some awesome high paying jobs here. Just because we don't have a plethora of walmart-ish jobs doesn't mean job prospects here are bad..
+1

Old 08-29-2014, 11:27 AM

642 posts, read 854,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
CT doesn't really have bad job prospects if you're an experienced or educated person. I had NO problem finding a job in finance and my fiancee had no problem either. I worked my whole life, including jobs I didn't like, and never quit before I had another lined up. So yeah CT has bad job prospects if you're lazy or uneducated ....companies here don't want you. Sounds like his wife is lazy, so for her, job prospects will be bad. All these stupid "job creation" lists aside....we have some awesome high paying jobs here. Just because we don't have a plethora of walmart-ish jobs doesn't mean job prospects here are bad..
SeaDoo,

You and your fiance have been lucky in your jobs. Thank your lucky stars. I know lots of highly educated and experienced individuals that are having a very hard time in the CT economy.

The 5 worst state economies. CT is the 3rd worst in the country on this list and that is pretty bad.

America's biggest losers: 5 worst state economies - Jun. 12, 2014

His wife just had a baby. Do you realize how hard it is to take care of a newborn or a child that is under 1 year old? She is probably not lazy just exhausted, add the financial stress into the mix and I can understand how she is having a hard time getting a job that would be a good fit. But I am a woman so I have a different perspective. As woman I would not judge another woman with a small child.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:42 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,783,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I advised him that he needed to declare bankruptcy, ditch the house, and move out-of-state to somewhere with a better job market.

Did I give him the right advice?

IMHO, no, you did not give good advice.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:47 AM

1,928 posts, read 2,022,545 times
As a parent to a young child - I would urge your friend not to make any rash decisions regarding his marriage now. This is a really tough season in life if you don't have financial stress, and their situation sounds downright panic inducing.

That said - they are both responsible for a series of questionable choices that led them here and they need to own responsibility and get out together. Maybe they short-sell the house, maybe they rent it out and get a small apt or move in with family. They need to stanch the bleeding somehow and get their financial liabilities down to the bare minimum.

Who has the most marketable skill set? That person needs to focus on the interview trail and the other one will need to step up in a huge way with parenting responsibilities until the first one has stable employment.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:23 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,849,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
SeaDoo,

You and your fiance have been lucky in your jobs. Thank your lucky stars. I know lots of highly educated and experienced individuals that are having a very hard time in the CT economy.

The 5 worst state economies. CT is the 3rd worst in the country on this list and that is pretty bad.

His wife just had a baby. Do you realize how hard it is to take care of a newborn or a child that is under 1 year old? She is probably not lazy just exhausted, add the financial stress into the mix and I can understand how she is having a hard time getting a job that would be a good fit. But I am a woman so I have a different perspective. As woman I would not judge another woman with a small child.
I agree, I thought some of the comments were pretty harsh. And being critical of them because they had a baby, we don't know that they had it purposely. Accidents do happen. Birth control is not 100% reliable.

I got the impression the friend and his wife do not have college degrees. In CT it's almost a necessity nowadays. They are still young enough to have children, I think at least one of them should consider pursuing some kind of advanced education/training. If they do have degrees, in what? They will need to keep up the job search. In the meantime, if possible maybe they could move in with the parents. I think bankruptcy is a little premature, they still need to make money. But it's really hard to give advice on such a little bit of info though, I am sure there is a lot more to the story than what we know.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:24 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,074,455 times
Quote:
SeaDoo,

We haven't been lucky....we made all the right moves. My opinion is if you can't afford to have a baby, then don't have one! Why does everyone think it's ok to have a kid regardless of your finances....it sets you up for a financial disaster.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:28 PM

34,727 posts, read 56,531,322 times
Quote:
SeaDoo,

I have to disagree with some of what you have posted. This problem is not just here in Connecticut, it has been occurring all over the country. It is just that here in Connecticut it started much later than other parts of the country and is still lingering a bit. That is what is unique about the economy here.

The OP does not say what the friend does or why he is having such a hard time finding a job. From all indications things are improving particularly down in Fairfield County where the friend lives. I still wonder why he cannot find a job closer to home that pays more than $15 per hour. That said you did offer them some good suggestions. They definitely need to talk with their bank or mortgage holder about their options.

Having a child is not easy even when finances are not a problem but running away from your husband when things get rough is just wrong unless there are other issues (addictions, abuse, etc.). Instead of the wife running home to her parents she should have offered for him to join her moving in with them. It sounds like there may be more to the story than we know. Still I wish them the best. Jay

Old 08-29-2014, 01:06 PM

642 posts, read 854,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It is just that here in Connecticut it started much later than other parts of the country and is still lingering a bit. That is what is unique about the economy here.

The OP does not say what the friend does or why he is having such a hard time finding a job. From all indications things are improving particularly down in Fairfield County where the friend lives. I still wonder why he cannot find a job closer to home that pays more than $15 per hour.
I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment of our states economy. The states economy is suffering because of all these high taxes and Malloy needs to go. Many companies are leaving. My company left because of the taxes and high costs. I lost my high paying job and have only been able to replace it with 2 part time jobs that pay about 60% of my old salary. I know scores of people who have lost good paying jobs because their company has picked up and left. I thank God and my lucky stars for finding those 2 jobs...others have not been as lucky as me. For the record, I am not a Republican.

As for the reason he and his wife can not find jobs I think I have an idea on that. A lot of people I know who are educated white collar workers who have lost their jobs can't even get an interview for a job at $15 an hour. The people that lose their jobs that are already in that pay range will get the call first. The company that is hiring knows that person that was making 2X that is likely to jump ship and go find another job once the economy turns around.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:21 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,908,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I agree, I thought some of the comments were pretty harsh. And being critical of them because they had a baby, we don't know that they had it purposely. Accidents do happen. Birth control is not 100% reliable.

I got the impression the friend and his wife do not have college degrees. In CT it's almost a necessity nowadays. They are still young enough to have children, I think at least one of them should consider pursuing some kind of advanced education/training. If they do have degrees, in what? They will need to keep up the job search. In the meantime, if possible maybe they could move in with the parents. I think bankruptcy is a little premature, they still need to make money. But it's really hard to give advice on such a little bit of info though, I am sure there is a lot more to the story than what we know.
My friend and his wife are not from poor backgrounds. We grew up middle class in Trumbull. He has a double BS in Geology and Astronomy. He was a pretty good student, but he was the kind of guy who always took 21 credits and had two incompletes at the end of a semester - always biting off more than he could chew. He started a bunch of graduate programs later on, including an MBA, but I'm unsure if he finished any of them.

After college, he ended up sort of backing into quality control testing for food manufacturing companies, which he did for around seven years. I never asked how much he made, but I presumed it was somewhere above $50,000, but under $100,000, because at the time he considered my salary (I work in a nonprofit type job) as being "too small." The last job involved a two-hour commute to Northern New Jersey, and he was slowly being retrained to be a manager, and he decided he hated management. He quit right around when his wife was pregnant, thinking he'd be able to find something better closer to home, which he hasn't.

Honestly, he's always been the kind of guy who changes his mind frequently about what he wants to do. In recent years he's considered joining the Coast Guard, becoming a landscape architect, and being adjunct faculty somewhere (which I explained was an awful job). But he is pretty highly educated.

I don't know the educational background of his wife, but her father was a lawyer and lives in Westchester County, so I'm sure she got a pretty good degree from somewhere. As I said, she had some sort of law-related job at a venture capital firm when they first married, but she hated it and quit. At one point she wanted to go back to school to be a vet, but that didn't work out.

Last edited by eschaton; 08-29-2014 at 01:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut