Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 08:42 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times

Advertisements

So I'm trying to figure out the best route to go in order to make my return to CT a smooth and minimally stressful experience. Here's the details of my situation.

My girlfriend and I live in Florida. She and I will be moving to CT as soon as we can make the move smoothly. I am seeking out work and doing so while residing in Florida (which is fun by itself).

We currently have 1 expensive 2012 Honda Civic which is far from paid off 16k owed and 2 Honda motorcycles which were paid off last year. My girlfriend is going to need to get a job shortly after moving as I will not be able to support the two of us solo and still pay all of her bills and mine. The motorcycles are mostly useable probably between March and into October-ish if you bundle up. The problem is a 2nd car would be needed for her own transportation.

If I sell the motorcycles and get a car, that's a quick fix... but we will be without the bikes. If we keep the bikes, we will need to save for both the move and another car which I believe is probably going to be pretty difficult to do. Our lease ends in Feb and I need to find something in the next 3 months if I am to move up to CT smoothly this year.

I'm not sure I want to move up to CT in the middle of January personally. I may have to hold off until later into next year... but I'm not sure what decision will be best.

Any ideas guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 10:40 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Prioritize your life. The first thing you need is jobs. The second thing is a way to get to those jobs. That means two cars unless you live somewhere where your girlfriend can use public transportation and if she was willing to use public transport.

So let's presume you'll need two cars. That your second priority. I'd sell the bikes and worry about acquiring others sometime in the future.

Other things to consider about your bikes. First you would be paying personal property tax on them in CT. The second thing is, as a tenant, where are you going to find a rental with space to park both two cars and two bikes .

You don't want to keep bikes out where they can be vandalized or easily stolen or have management telling you that you're taking up too many parking spaces. No condo complex or apartment is going to let you park bikes on a patio. That means you have to look for a garaged rental or a single family home with a garage. This is always more expensive than just finding a nice apartment.

For the time being, I would look for jobs, get a second car and seek out a decent rental. For your first year here, just get your lives in order. Figure out a budget, see how you are doing on what the two of you are bringing in. Since your girlfriend has to find a job, it may be really tight financially until she does. Then start making long term plans as to where to live and what to buy. Have a five year plan. Good luck

Edit to add- you can move in January- just watch the weather reports. Cold doesn't make any difference in a move, just need to worry about snow storms.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:49 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
So I'm trying to figure out the best route to go in order to make my return to CT a smooth and minimally stressful experience. Here's the details of my situation.

My girlfriend and I live in Florida. She and I will be moving to CT as soon as we can make the move smoothly. I am seeking out work and doing so while residing in Florida (which is fun by itself).

Any ideas guys?
My hubby and I just moved back from Wesley Chapel. Our lease was up next year, but we had to pay to break it. He actually arrived in June, and I arrived the end of July. I stayed behind and sold everything. It wasn't worth it (for us) to bring all of our furniture up here. All of our stuff was cheap anyway. It was either from Target, WalMart or Ikea and currently staying we are staying w/ his mom until I get a job so we can move out.

It might be best to sell one of the bikes, since well unlike Florida, can't really use the bike here 1/2 of the year. That way you don't have to worry about transportation in the winter months.

Coming from someone who just moved back, I don't think I would want to move in the winter either! I'm glad we came back when we did.

Good luck on securing a job up here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post

Edit to add- you can move in January- just watch the weather reports. Cold doesn't make any difference in a move, just need to worry about snow storms.
Yes, it won't make a difference in an actual move, but coming from someone who just moved from Florida - it is much easier to adjust to the difference in temperature. August has been a little chilly for me!!

I remember one time sitting at Panera in a sweatshirt over a long sleeve shirt shortly after I moved back, and two girls were sitting down talking about how nice it was outside and they were in shorts and a tshirt. Meanwhile I was sitting there thinking, "Where did summer go?" (it was upper 60's)

The coldest temperature that the Tampa Bay area has hit in recent years was back in December 2010 when the lows hit the upper 20's for about a week! High's were in the 40's maybe, and it was COLD!!!

I know personally this winter will be rough for me. Even if it's a mild winter by New England standards. I have not experienced snow and anything under 25 degrees in 7 years. A lot of people who live in Florida get cold easily, (I always have, even more so now!)so a move in the summer would make it so much easier, as it will gradually get colder and a little easier to adjust!

Old 09-02-2014, 08:09 AM

I personally can't take the heat. I welcome 45F-ish weather. But Jan drops under 30F regularly and will be a pain having to move everything while freezing my butt off.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:56 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
The what would be your alternative ? You said your lease is up in February.

Would your current landlord let you go month to month for a couple more months Or would you have to find another month or month rental ? That means more application fees, credit checks, deposits, moving stuff twice, etc. Trying to avoid the cold seems like it could be expensive.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:22 AM

Fortunately for me I don't HAVE to move, I want to move. If moving this year is too big of an inconvenience, then I will just wait until next year at some point. I really don't have a lot of money at the moment and am working my butt off to get a good check that I can put away.

If waiting is the only way to make the transition smooth, then that's what I'll do. If I make the move as soon as possible, then I may need to sell some stuff. I know motorcycles aren't particularly useful in the colder months but I do love the fact that it's paid off and ready to go any time. That being said, I also understand I would need a place to put them.

My grandmother has a garage and I would probably be able to cram them in there in the back or something without being an inconvenience.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:40 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Just to point out again, you'd have to pay personal property taxes on both your cars and your motorcycles each year. I'm not sure how much your motorcycles are worth, but for two cars and your motorcycles it will easily run you several hundred a year in their taxes.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:35 AM

487 posts, read 536,157 times
If you need to sell the bike(s), do so before leaving Florida. We are approaching the end of the riding season (for most riders) here and it will be hard to sell a bike unless the price is very attractive. Depending on the weather I will ride from March to December.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:15 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davwve View Post
If you need to sell the bike(s), do so before leaving Florida. We are approaching the end of the riding season (for most riders) here and it will be hard to sell a bike unless the price is very attractive. Depending on the weather I will ride from March to December.
Agree. Plus, most of the bikes up here have less mileage than bikes down there, but don't really command much of a price premium for having "low" mileage. So if your bikes aren't low mileage, you'll take an additional hit up here if you go to sell.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Agree. Plus, most of the bikes up here have less mileage than bikes down there, but don't really command much of a price premium for having "low" mileage. So if your bikes aren't low mileage, you'll take an additional hit up here if you go to sell.
They are scooters lol

Paid $3,000 a piece for them. They both have 5,000 miles. I'd hate to get rid of them considering they get 100mpg and are cheap bikes. I don't expect the taxes to be that much on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: