Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 10:05 PM

678 posts, read 847,077 times

Advertisements

I agree everything what JayCT says except about Norwich Free Academy, which is a great school. I know a couple people from there that went to university with me and they came out excellent. The crowd of Norwich is probably what brings it down; throwing the numbers off. Norwich has changed alot (from the 80s), but, it does give you a depressed feeling. Especially during Winter. Although, that part of the state is very luscious with nature in Spring and Summer. It's also pretty quiet and you're literally a half hour drive or more from everything: PVD, Hartford, UConn, etc. Only New London (may) makes it under half hour.

About NFA, they do offer several things that other public schools don't. I remember making a comparison to my high school and I was genuinely intrigued since I have such a negative opinion of Norwich, lol! Honestly, your biggest bottleneck will be your child in NFA. If you push and encourage your child to be their best, they will turn out to do well and be successful in post high school education. The folks I was talking about earlier are working in Hartford and doing well.

However, if you want my personal opinion, I wouldn't take it. It's too secluded for my tastes and with a little more money, you can do better. I feel like Southeast Connecticut has an appeal, but, it's very exclusive to certain kindsa people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 07:45 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
Please disregard the info you've been given on schools. Jay merely looks up numbers and doesn't even begin to understand the reality behind them.

NFA is an excellent school that offers essentially everything a high school student could want--including EVERY AP course in existence. It even has its own art museum. The one and only reason its CAPT scores are lower (the state's standardized test at the high school level...which is changing to SBAC for the common core standards) is that the town has a high immigrant population, and therefore lower income levels. Because income levels are lower, parents typically have to work 2nd or even 3rd jobs, and are therefore less involved in their kids lives.

That said, I would not hesitate to live in one of the surrounding towns and send my kids to NFA.

FYI, on college entrance exams (SAT/ACT), NFA scores well above average. They get dozens of Ivy-League acceptances every year. There isn't a high school course on the planet that you can't take there--anything from multivariable calculus to culinary arts.
Sorry but you can't disregard test results if someone wants to send their kids to good schools. These tests are given to all students in the state and it is a measure of each school system against the other. I did not say that a student can't get a good education in NFA but that could be said about known problem school systems like Bridgeport, Hartford and New Haven too. The OP needs to realize this before committing to buying in Norwich or any town for that matter. Jay

Old 09-04-2014, 03:34 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,218 times
Again, Jay.....you have no idea what these tests actually measure.

You merely look up numbers online, and compare them to your notion of what a 'good' district should score on CAPT or CMT.

Have you ever actually seen the content of these tests? If you had, you'd realize they test standards that are FAR below the Common Core. Moreover, one can 'pass' the math section of CAPT by getting only ~25% of the available points on that section. The cut-off isn't significantly different on the English portion, either.
Again, CAPT and CMT measure nothing that would qualify a student to do anything more than flip burgers upon graduation.

FYI, NFA's scores are NOWHERE within the realm of Hartford's, Bridgeport's or New Haven's. In the standardized tests that actually measure college readiness, the school scores significantly above average.

Please leave comments regarding school districts to those of us who understand that they're more than just numbers. There are plenty of actual educators on this board.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:45 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Quote:

FYI, NFA's scores are NOWHERE within the realm of Hartford's, Bridgeport's or New Haven's. In the standardized tests that actually measure college readiness, the school scores significantly above average.

Please leave comments regarding school districts to those of us who understand that they're more than just numbers. There are plenty of actual educators on this board.
Again, NFA's numbers for things like the SAT are a bit above average for the state - not significantly above the state average.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:05 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Again, NFA's numbers for things like the SAT are a bit above average for the state - not significantly above the state average.
If you look at their SAT/ACT/AP scores over the last decade, they're within the top-two thirds of the state.

Are their scores 'elite'? No.

Do they do a very good job of preparing kids for college, especially given the incredible amount of socioeconomic diversity within the school? Absolutely.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:36 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Again, Jay.....you have no idea what these tests actually measure.

You merely look up numbers online, and compare them to your notion of what a 'good' district should score on CAPT or CMT.

Have you ever actually seen the content of these tests? If you had, you'd realize they test standards that are FAR below the Common Core. Moreover, one can 'pass' the math section of CAPT by getting only ~25% of the available points on that section. The cut-off isn't significantly different on the English portion, either.
Again, CAPT and CMT measure nothing that would qualify a student to do anything more than flip burgers upon graduation.

You have no idea of what I know and don't know so do not assume I have no knowledge of the CMT or CAPT.

The point is that these tests are taken by ALL students in public schools in Connecticut. It is a good way to compare how students in different schools perform. You could argue the merits of the tests all you want (Common Core has nothing to do with this so why bring it up) but the fact isthese tests are the only way to do such a comparison. SAT/ACT's are not taken by all students so comparing them is not going to be accurate. Someone looking for good schools is most likely looking for schools that perform better than average so all you have to do is look at how the school performs in comparison to the state average.

Norwich Free Academy performs under the state average. That does not mean it is a bad school but to someone who wants a town with good schools, it could mean something. Sorry but facts are facts and this is all we have to go by. Jay

Old 09-05-2014, 02:55 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Norwich Free Academy performs under the state average. That does not mean it is a bad school but to someone who wants a town with good schools, it could mean something. Sorry but facts are facts and this is all we have to go by. Jay
I don't think the usual meaning of "Are the schools there good?" is "Are there lots of high performing kids from wealthy families and no lower-class kids bringing down the averages?" - You can do that research without even looking at the schools, just look at median income and home prices.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:25 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
SAT/ACT's are not taken by all students so comparing them is not going to be accurate.
No, not every student takes the SAT, but in the better performing districts that send 90-95% or more students on to college, nearly all students do take the SAT. So, it is a valid place of comparison when comparing better schools, as you're going to have 95% or more of the students taking the test.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,599 times
Hi Jess! I lived in Norwich for a period in 2010-2011 for my job. I dont know where you would be moving from, but I have lived in many areas in the US and CT is my favorite spot! With that said, I was not happy with my time in Norwich. I am not bashing Norwich, it just was not a place I found desirable. I do not have children, so I cant speak to the school system aspect. CT on the whole is a great place to live and I recommend it HIGHLY, I have met many great people here

Old 10-03-2014, 09:17 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,119 times
Let Armyvet1 chime in here for a moment. First off your decision can't be any worse then my original interest in Torrington, apparently thats not desirable either, it's not a sheltered NYC bedroom community, whatever.

Secondly you're young and explorative are you not? Are you viewing this home as a home or something to get rich quick on cause if it's the latter don't do it cause it will never happen. A home should not be purchased unless you love the area and plan to stay for a very long time. View the house as a home to build memories and raise your children, not cash in on, we need some old fashion beliefs back in the country.

Personally I would never buy a foreclosure, a family lost that home so someone else could have it and I can almost guarantee that the family who lost the home was a victim of predatory lending, which is a crime and fraudulent. I would let the bank sit on it and hope they lose money everyday for kicking a family out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut