Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 07:12 AM

4,714 posts, read 5,929,533 times

Advertisements

Surprised it's not #1 most expensive if you read some of the posts on this forum...

Hawaii is #1 if you were wondering.

7 Most Expensive States to Live in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 07:51 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,380,078 times
That's not really news though. The northeast has been a very expensive place to live for many years now. However I was bored one day so I crunched numbers and have found affordable places to live in New England as well.

I also know that anything close to Manhattan is going to be unaffordable for most, same for Boston, San Francisco, DC, so on and so forth.

Wife and I brought in a little over 100k in earnings last year and we both work and live in small town USA so I don't understand why some folks willingly choose to live with 4-6 people they don't know, pay 5,000 a month for an apartment, just so they can say that they live in place like Manhattan.

If you need to live with 6 strangers, have barely any money left after rent and utilities, it baffles me how some consider that living, cause it's not.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:16 AM

4,714 posts, read 5,929,533 times
No, it's not really news, but if you go by some of the gloom & doom on this forum, you'd think CT was head & shoulders more expensive than anywhere else, unless you lived in a penthouse suite in Manhattan.

In regards to city living, a lot of people like being able to walk out their front door and not have to get in a car and drive to get to shopping, restaurants, bars, clubs, broadway shows, sporting events, etc. And, it's not just young people. My in-laws hate coming to the US from China because they can't do that here in the US - they have to rely on my wife or me to bring them places. In their city in China, they can walk out of their apartment complex and have dozens of restaurants and retail stores to choose from. And, if something is further away, they can get a cab, bus or subway/train to get there easily.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:28 AM

385 posts, read 359,995 times
It does not appear this list takes taxes into account. When you add taxes into the mix, we are the second or third most expensive state.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:36 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,788,095 times
Can we please read through these lists, and actually digest what they say, before we post them?

The article states that in #7(Connecticut), the average housing cost per square foot is $162.

The article states that in #6(California), the average housing cost per square foot is $256.

The article states that in #5(New Jersey), the average housing cost per square foot is $174.

So, what are the housing index numbers that they've assigned to each of these states? Glad you asked.

They are:

California- 176.7

New Jersey- 167.7

Connecticut- 136.1

NJ is $12/SF higher than CT, $82/SF lower than CA. $82/SF LOWER.

So how exactly is New Jersey's housing index 31 points greater than Connecticut's, and only 9 points less than California's???????

Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:39 AM

That's why I have always loved living in small town USA cause a lot of the things the city folks enjoy can be found in small towns as well.

I invested and became a business partner in an automotive service business. The location of our shop is in our town, from my front door to our place of business I can walk to in 3 minutes.

Our towns pizza shop sends out one of their delivery vehicles to see if we want lunch, the lunch specials are 5.00 dollars, you can get a can of Pepsi for 60 cents.

The Harley Davidson dealership right next store to us gives us referrals and sends motorcycles over to us who are due for their safety inspection, if we get a Harley Davidson, we send them across the street to the dealership.

When we do our grand opening, our parts supplier is going to hook us up with hats and t-shirts, and other giveaway stuff. Yesterday our main street was closed down for a festival.

These things you will never find in a city because places like NYC are so massive that there is really no sense of community, you get lost in it.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:47 AM

14,000 posts, read 13,791,467 times
Right between NYC, Boston, RI Beaches CT going be expensive.

CT is like one big gaint suburbs

Old 09-07-2014, 08:51 AM

14,000 posts, read 13,791,467 times
This from 2010

STAMFORD -- Despite strides in affordable housing, a study has found that lower Fairfield County is the most expensive place to rent an apartment in the United States. The annual report, issued Wednesday by the Connecticut Housing Coalition in coordination with the National Low Income Housing Coalition, broke down rental housing costs for metropolitan areas across the country. It did not include luxury apartments.
According to its findings, a renter in lower Fairfield County must earn $34.62 an hour to pay for a modest two-bedroom apartment, without spending more than 30 percent of total household income on housing costs. Defined as the "housing wage," the figure surpasses those of cities such as San Francisco, Honolulu, New York and Boston.
In terms of income, a family in the area must earn $72,000 a year to afford a typical two-bedroom apartment.
This is not the first year that the area has been ranked No. 1 in unaffordability.
"For as long as I can remember, you have the dubious honor of being the top in the country," said Jeffrey Freiser, executive director of the Connecticut Housing Coalition.
Stamford, followed by Norwalk, has been a leader in promoting affordable housing.
Since 1998, almost 300 affordable housing units have been built in Stamford, according to a report from the city's land-use department. Of that number, 179 are rental dwellings.
In 2003, the city implemented an inclusionary zoning regulation mandating that developers in most zones make at least 10 percent of their units affordable to those earning less than 50 percent of the area median income, which is $61,150 for a family of four.
Last month, the city's Zoning Board passed an amendment to refine that policy by allowing developers to expand the affordability range to include families earning from 25 percent to 80 percent of the area median income.
While Freiser acknowledged the "real contributions" made by Stamford and Norwalk, he said the problem in the region was so severe that "adding several hundred units of affordable housing a year isn't going to significantly affect the averages."

"It does show that the Stamford-Norwalk area is a very desirable area to live," Stein said. "People are willing to pay these rents."
Part of the attraction stems from Stamford's employment opportunities and an urban core that has housing and retail, along with easy access to public transit.
"Yes, this is a very vibrant place to live," McGee said.
Nonetheless, cities and towns cannot skirt the problem of affordability, he said.
"This has been an issue for 25 years now," he said. "It's getting to the point where we have to deal with it. It's an enormously positive opportunity to rebuild our cities."

Old 09-07-2014, 08:52 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,320,424 times
I thought I read a few studies that said all things considered CT falls onto about #3 in the USA (behind AK and HI)

Old 09-07-2014, 08:53 AM

CT is too close to Manhattan and as long as the folks come over and buy properties the col will always be high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut