Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:09 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB1220 View Post
All valid points. What IS taking the Q Bridge project so long??? Also, I've always noticed the "Mowing" signs around construction zone, I've always just chalked it up to the whole "giving people jobs" argument.
The Q Bridge is a massively complicated project that is below budget and ahead of schedule. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 08:10 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
I think I'm going to vote for Malloy, even though I voted for Foley in the previous election. You gotta give the guy a chance, as he's only been in office for less than 4 years. I mean come on. If we keep shifting leadership to often, things will be out of whack. And Foley is a mini Romney.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Not necessarily. He was mayor in Stamford at the right time:

1. NYC was improving drastically and becoming more desirable both as a place to live and do business. When NYC does well, its satellite cities do well.
2. 9/11 happened, and many financial companies moved to Stamford.
3. When you have a growing residential, commercial, and retail base that is thriving off proximity to NYC and its growing economy, you can afford to have a lower mill rate with more taxable property.

So, yes, while he didn't screw up and some may say he was a good mayor - I don't think that the low mill rate in Stamford has much direct correlation.

My biggest problems with him are that he went very aggressive in raising taxes to solve the deficit. In doing so, he raised the most sensitive tax during an economic recession: corporate. We now have one of the highest in existence and it's not helping our economy at all.

I also think CT DOT is extremely poorly managed. There's a bridge in New Haven that directly affects commerce that has been out for years. Yes, there were problems but it seems like it's just ignored. A 1 year project will probably take 5. It's just unacceptable and it's hurting businesses.

I also think that CT DOT arbitrarily does road work projects that are not needed. Whether it's replanting and planting trees on the Merritt and making "aesthetic enhancements", unnecessary resurfacing on roads/highways that are in acceptable condition while others crumble, the deferred maintenance of our rail system that has some to a head while spending a half billion on a busway that has no significant benefit, etc.

Time for new leadership.
I strongly disagree with your assessment of CTDOT. What bridge in New Haven are you talking about? I cannot think of a state owned bridge that is out. Are you sure it is not a city owned bridge? CTDOT would not be involved with it if it is.

As I have explained before CTDOT repaves all roads on a cycle whether or not they need it. This is because that is the only way to assure a road regularly gets the attention it needs. Repaving projects take a long time to get going. It is not simply just calling up a contractor and say go out and pave this road. It has to be designed and bid.

Also I strongly disagree with you on replanting of trees. Our highways need to be attractive so landscaping is important. All states set aside a certain budget for this. Connecticut is no different.

As for the busway, it has been discussed here before. The busway will finally bring a true mass transit project to greater Hartford. You may not agree with that but the project went through all the proper planning and vetting processes and was well documented why this project was selected. IT took years for Federal funding to become available but I truly think it will help greater Hartford deal with traffic issues, particularly when the state rebuilds I-84 west of Hartford in the future. Thiws is much like the Shoreline East railroad and the Q Bridge project. Rowland was ready to kill Shoreline East but couldn't because of promises made concerning the Q Bridge project. Ridership is up on Shoreline East and traffic on I-95 is down so it is working. Jay

Old 09-29-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Not talking about the Q bridge. It's a bridge on State Street.
State Street is not a state highway. CTDOT would not be involved in it. Strictly the city. Jay

Old 09-29-2014, 08:59 AM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I strongly disagree with your assessment of CTDOT. What bridge in New Haven are you talking about? I cannot think of a state owned bridge that is out. Are you sure it is not a city owned bridge? CTDOT would not be involved with it if it is.

As I have explained before CTDOT repaves all roads on a cycle whether or not they need it. This is because that is the only way to assure a road regularly gets the attention it needs. Repaving projects take a long time to get going. It is not simply just calling up a contractor and say go out and pave this road. It has to be designed and bid.

Also I strongly disagree with you on replanting of trees. Our highways need to be attractive so landscaping is important. All states set aside a certain budget for this. Connecticut is no different.

As for the busway, it has been discussed here before. The busway will finally bring a true mass transit project to greater Hartford. You may not agree with that but the project went through all the proper planning and vetting processes and was well documented why this project was selected. IT took years for Federal funding to become available but I truly think it will help greater Hartford deal with traffic issues, particularly when the state rebuilds I-84 west of Hartford in the future. Thiws is much like the Shoreline East railroad and the Q Bridge project. Rowland was ready to kill Shoreline East but couldn't because of promises made concerning the Q Bridge project. Ridership is up on Shoreline East and traffic on I-95 is down so it is working. Jay
The Q Bridge was originally scheduled to be completed in 2012. We are way behind schedule and over budget (projected at $350 million, but has since balloooned to over $1 billion!). Pretty easy to come in under as per the recent press when the original projections are buried and the goal posts have since moved.

Publication date:9-19-2005, Timeline: The New 'Q'<br />

Also it takes CT so much longer than VA or NJ to complete small to mid sized projects. The Route 7 interchange at I-95. I swear Northern VA would knock that out in 2 months.... What is the timeframe?

Where are the remaining ramps/exits from Route 7 to the Merritt? Pathetic Jay.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:21 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
State Street is not a state highway. CTDOT would not be involved in it. Strictly the city. Jay
Not true. 5 years in, frustrated New Haven businesses await State Street Bridge

The Project was designed by an engineer who was hired by the City of New Haven. After that, the city wiped their hands clean (of construction) and the DOT took over the construction of it. The project was bid at a DOT# job and is over seen by District 3A.

"Plans for reconstruction of the bridge began in 2009, when a DoT inspection report indicated that the bridge, originally built in 1920, was not safe or wide enough to support the amount of traffic it now sees. The City of New Haven is overseeing the design of the bridge, while DoT is managing construction."

The winning bid was $5.1M and currently the final cost will be near $25M at completion.

Here is the winning bids for this project (DOT#0092-0651) http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/docume...cts/92-561.pdf

Old 09-29-2014, 02:16 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:

In regards to planting trees and other vegetation I believe this helps mitigate erosion and run off. I have also heard, but don't know where to verify that the State of CT wants to have a 30 foot buffer between the roadway and trees on all state highways. This is to help minimize injuries when cars run off the road in accidents.

Last year next to where I live a crew came thru and took down trees along RT 99 that were close to the road. I have also seen lots of tree cutting on I-91, RT 2, and the Merrit Prkwy.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
The Q Bridge was originally scheduled to be completed in 2012. We are way behind schedule and over budget (projected at $350 million, but has since balloooned to over $1 billion!). Pretty easy to come in under as per the recent press when the original projections are buried and the goal posts have since moved.

Publication date:9-19-2005, Timeline: The New 'Q'<br />

Also it takes CT so much longer than VA or NJ to complete small to mid sized projects. The Route 7 interchange at I-95. I swear Northern VA would knock that out in 2 months.... What is the timeframe?

Where are the remaining ramps/exits from Route 7 to the Merritt? Pathetic Jay.
Sorry but the article is specifically referencing just the bridge itself. The full project goes way beyond just the bridge. It includes widening I-95 in Branford and East Haven and the Long Wharf area and completely rebuilding the I-95/I-91/Route 34 interchange. The schedule for the entire project from the actual start of the project construction has been 2018 and had a cost of $1.2 billion. Right now completion is set for 2017 at a cost of just under $1.2 billion.

As for your comments on VA and Nj, I can assure you their projects take just as long as they do here. No project as complex as those mentioned would take 2 months. And are you aware of the bridge replacement project that just occurred on I-84 in Southington? They replace two highway bridges over a local road over one weekend. This is called accelarated bridge construction and it worked very well. They also did a similar but smaller bridge in Middletown the same way. You will likely see more of this in the coming years. Still these projects took months of preparation work before the replacement happened. Now they are finishing up the work like clean up, minor adjustments and close out. Jay

Old 09-30-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Not true. 5 years in, frustrated New Haven businesses await State Street Bridge

The Project was designed by an engineer who was hired by the City of New Haven. After that, the city wiped their hands clean (of construction) and the DOT took over the construction of it. The project was bid at a DOT# job and is over seen by District 3A.

"Plans for reconstruction of the bridge began in 2009, when a DoT inspection report indicated that the bridge, originally built in 1920, was not safe or wide enough to support the amount of traffic it now sees. The City of New Haven is overseeing the design of the bridge, while DoT is managing construction."

The winning bid was $5.1M and currently the final cost will be near $25M at completion.

Here is the winning bids for this project (DOT#0092-0651) http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/docume...cts/92-561.pdf
This sounds like this was a city project that got dumped on CTDOT for construction. You can't blame CTDOT for this. Jay

Old 09-30-2014, 04:24 PM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
Quote:
Sorry but the article is specifically referencing just the bridge itself. The full project goes way beyond just the bridge. It includes widening I-95 in Branford and East Haven and the Long Wharf area and completely rebuilding the I-95/I-91/Route 34 interchange. The schedule for the entire project from the actual start of the project construction has been 2018 and had a cost of $1.2 billion. Right now completion is set for 2017 at a cost of just under $1.2 billion.

As for your comments on VA and Nj, I can assure you their projects take just as long as they do here. No project as complex as those mentioned would take 2 months. And are you aware of the bridge replacement project that just occurred on I-84 in Southington? They replace two highway bridges over a local road over one weekend. This is called accelarated bridge construction and it worked very well. They also did a similar but smaller bridge in Middletown the same way. You will likely see more of this in the coming years. Still these projects took months of preparation work before the replacement happened. Now they are finishing up the work like clean up, minor adjustments and close out. Jay
Jay- I'd like to see a source for your timeframe claims. I have multiple that provide 2012 as the project complete data for the entire initiative. The goal posts were definitely pushed out. Same on the fiscal side. DC built/extended the silver lane and the first 5 stops in time CT has been ****ing around with the Route 7/95 interchange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut