Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2014, 07:56 PM

518 posts, read 743,449 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering.. say you buy a car from a state with no sales tax I assume they will give me a temp plate from the state I brought the car in? So from what I understand they go by the NADA car avg for the mileage and options or whatever is higher (buying price)

So if I'm right if I pay $8,995 then it's $1,416 in the registration alone? How does that work out if you finance, same as buying the car outright?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 08:43 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
Take a look at the 5th FAQ on this DMV website

DMV: Frequently Asked Questions about Registration of Vehicles

also DMV: Sales Tax on Registrations

Old 09-29-2014, 07:04 AM

But I still don't understand. . They give me a temp plate in NH so I can drive the car home and register in CT in which I should get my plate? I'm not looking to do a double trip

Old 09-29-2014, 10:39 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,830,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieB4 View Post
I was just wondering.. say you buy a car from a state with no sales tax I assume they will give me a temp plate from the state I brought the car in? So from what I understand they go by the NADA car avg for the mileage and options or whatever is higher (buying price)

So if I'm right if I pay $8,995 then it's $1,416 in the registration alone? How does that work out if you finance, same as buying the car outright?

You will have to pay the sales tax in CT when you register the car. If you never register it, you will never pay the sales tax. That's not practicable with a car since you want to drive it, but it is does happen with dirt bikes and ATV's.

Also, when you register a vehicle from out of state the DMV does a "VIN check" before you can get the plates/registration. You will need to have a valid registration to drive the car to the DMV for this "VIN check" a temporary plate from another state should be adequate.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:07 PM

I just noticed I was way off in my numbers for the tax on the car lol I guess that happens when you don't get enough sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut