Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 08:42 PM

22 posts, read 20,217 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a gym in this area? Looking online and there isn't much information. I enjoy a workout then sitting in a sauna, maybe one that offers classes. TY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 09:01 PM

21,717 posts, read 28,042,339 times
Saunas are harder to find in gyms these days. Maybe LA Fitness in Trumbull?

Old 10-01-2014, 01:35 AM

678 posts, read 846,439 times
Snap Fitness on South Main Street in Newtown? They're open 24/7 cept holidays, of course.

Um, there's also a big, local one on Commerce Road in Newtown known as Club NewFit. It's pretty popular amongst the town people. Then there's also the Newtown Youth Academy. I don't know much about that, however.

Bethel has a Sportsplex, I believe. My cousin went to it and he said it wasn't bad at all. I think it's a little before Target on Stony Hill Rd. There's also a Snap Fitness somewhere in Bethel. Heard of it, but not exactly sure where.

Monroe has Fitness4000. Only one I heard of, but, I can't offer much other than that.

I don't know of a place with a sauna. Check Club NewFit. Perhaps they might have something.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:41 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,238,526 times
There's an Edge on 111/25 in Trumbull-right over the Monroe town line. You can go to any of the clubs with one membership--they offer classes. I think Stratford is the only one that has a sauna, however.

The classes are all pretty good, however. I've trained with a trainer there, for a bit, and I was satisfied with that, too.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:59 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times
It depends what kind of gym experience you're looking for. If you want an intense workout to build cardio and tone yourself while maintaining muscle mass, you should look into CrossFit (yeah, I drink the Koolaid). Crossfit Danbury is run by an excellent group of people, with nearly personalized workouts. No sauna though, and it's far from exit 9 (it's located by the Danbury mall). There's also CrossFit Tri-Town in Monroe located on Route 25, and CrossFit RedZone in Newtown also located on 25. I would give a slight edge to RedZone over Tri-Town - it's a better facility.

If you're looking for a medium intensity gym solely for bulking with little cardio, I would look into a place like Sportsplex in Bethel. Edge Fitness is also a good gym, however the one in Trumbull gets insanely crowded during peak times (7-9 AM and 430-7 PM). I had trouble finding a parking spot when I used a guest pass one morning at 9:30 AM. Planet Fitness in Trumbull is alright for medium intensity exercise, but I've never been a fan of their cleanliness (or lack of).

If you're looking for low intensity and/or solely cardio, you might want to look into the YMCA in Trumbull or Fitness4000 in Monroe. The Y is family friendly, and probably has everything you need re: sauna and classes. You might even be able to get a family rate.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm a firm believer there's a gym out there for everyone.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:57 AM

22 posts, read 20,217 times
Thank you all. I visited Edge Fitness yesterday and it was crowded, but nice facility! I'm going to look into the Y.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut