Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 07:56 PM

442 posts, read 455,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
My garage. There is no place in the state or country who for the same money do a better job. I get to let the car drain to almost no drip while these places plug the pan as soon as possible leaving loads of old oil still in your engine, sometimes stripping the biots since they use impact guns to make quicker work. Then the oil filter is wrenched on super tight and most likely not prefilled with oil or given a finger around the rubber gasket to help seal. This results in having to use a screwdriver through the filter to get it off at home.

Sorry folks I'll do my own and save money and have the satisfaction of knowing the job was done right.
I do it in my driveway/garage. I enjoy it and know I'm getting the job done with the oil I prefer. Definitely cheaper and gives me some time to bond with and teach my kids. Priceless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 08:21 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,431,255 times
A&a service station at the Brookfield Mobil on federal road.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:33 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Would be a cool poll to add to this thread. I'm curious what everyone does.

I go to Valvoline (used to be Expressway). While I don't like the concept of not enough time for pan to drip out, I love the speed. Price is fair with the $8 coupon eachtime.

I could do it myself but the time to do it to save $15 is not worth it.
That's what I do...Valvoline on Farmington Ave near the Stop & Shop in West Hartford.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:17 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
The problem I have with doing it at home is that you need a flat surface to truly 100% drain all the old oil.

I wish I had a lift.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:34 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The problem I have with doing it at home is that you need a flat surface to truly 100% drain all the old oil.

I wish I had a lift.
Definitely better (or a must) on flat surfaces. You can do it with a 2 Ton Jack. Don't have to go too high. Just enough to fit under comfortably.

Is it really worth it though? Sure its fun to do and better to drain more; but cost for parts will run about $15 anyway. Those fast lube job places are about $30 but some garages are about $25 and the mechanics will let it drain long.

For those that want to do it themselves here a good instructional link.

How To Change Your Oil

Old 10-03-2014, 06:20 AM

82 posts, read 99,342 times
There are varying qualities in oil filters, I prefer to buy the good ones and change them myself.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:09 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
There are reviews for oil changes?
well, not just for oil changes - but, if you go to Monro, Midas, Meineke, Firestone, etc, there will be reviews from people who have gone there for service. Maybe not many reviews, but each place probably has a handful - and, most from people who had a bad experience there.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:18 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
well, not just for oil changes - but, if you go to Monro, Midas, Meineke, Firestone, etc, there will be reviews from people who have gone there for service. Maybe not many reviews, but each place probably has a handful - and, most from people who had a bad experience there.
I know, I just think it's funny though for oil change reviews. I mean, drain the oil, plug it back up, change the filter, put new oil in, done.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:37 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
I know, I just think it's funny though for oil change reviews. I mean, drain the oil, plug it back up, change the filter, put new oil in, done.
well, some places do it pretty quickly, other places seem to take a lot longer.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:09 AM

627 posts, read 1,058,342 times
I go to the Valvoline but I always feel dirty doing it. And they are always upselling you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut