Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 04:03 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,518 times

Advertisements

Initial Tests Indicate Yale Student Does Not Have Ebola | NBC Connecticut

Luckily, the student was tested negative in New Haven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 04:06 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Woah. Totally irresponsible and misleading headline. Not cool.

Edited.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:05 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
I think we're a little Ebola crazy atm. Good grief.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:15 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
While I agree the media is out of control with hysteria (we see this in EVERY facet of news coverage), the person DID come back from a West African country known to be a petri dish for viral outbreaks with "flu-like symptoms". An over reaction by the media? yes. An over reaction by the health system? no. IMO that student shouldn't even have made it back to Yale W/O being checked out.

Last edited by Sigequinox; 10-16-2014 at 07:55 PM..

Old 10-16-2014, 07:38 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
I think the university made the decision upon the students return from Liberia that mandatory quarantine was not necessary; however the students seemed to be self sequestering themselves anyway. Scariest part is this particular student had direct contact with the NBC cameraman who is currently being treated for Ebola at a hospital in Nebraska (I think it's Nebraska?) According to this Yale daily news article, the student and the cameraman had direct contact in Liberia one day before the cameraman fell ill. I think everyone breathed a sigh of relief after today's test results came in. Hopefully he remains healthy in the coming days/weeks. Ebola test negative, hospital says | Yale Daily News

Last edited by Lalalally; 10-16-2014 at 08:01 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 07:45 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I think we're a little Ebola crazy atm. Good grief.
I don't think so....its very deadly and spreads easily. This is a lot worse than H1N1 or SARS...

I think the media putting out breaking news yesterday before tests came back was a little nuts though

Old 10-17-2014, 08:35 AM

44 posts, read 47,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
Initial Tests Indicate Yale Student Does Not Have Ebola | NBC Connecticut

Luckily, the student was tested negative in New Haven.
I followed that one and was glad to see that result on the news yesterday. My daughter lives in New Haven. I first heard about it at the gym when my trainer said it was a student at Yale. Yikes! My daughter's partner works at Yale, so needless to say, there was some concern on my part. Of course I know the media can jump the gun on these things, causing unnecessary concern, but the concern was there.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:40 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
The media hype on this is absurd. Besides the two health care workers who were treating Mr. Duncan (who were initially not given the proper protective gear), no one else has come down with it, including the other healthcare workers who treated him as well as his family and friends in Dallas. That said, I'm concerned that the government has so far botched their response to Ebola. Frieden, the head of the CDC, should be fired.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:01 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
My sister is a P.A. at Yale and she got the email the night before it was announced stating a potential Ebola case was coming in. She text me early yesterday about it and then I saw it on the news. I will say that it made my wife and I upset when I heard it. So close to home especially with my sister working there. The media hype is insane though.......I am concerned about Ebola but not going to live scared either.
T

Old 10-17-2014, 10:38 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
The media hype on this is absurd. Besides the two health care workers who were treating Mr. Duncan (who were initially not given the proper protective gear), no one else has come down with it, including the other healthcare workers who treated him as well as his family and friends in Dallas. That said, I'm concerned that the government has so far botched their response to Ebola. Frieden, the head of the CDC, should be fired.
This exactly. The NBC camera man who fell ill was IN Liberia (and apparently he's recovering wonderfully.) The only people who have fallen ill, on our soil, otherwise, were health care workers. Those are the people who are at the greatest risk. FYI, I work for a hospital in NYC and this is from our internal postings:

According to public health authorities, the outbreak is expected to continue for six months or more. There have been NO reported cases of Ebola in New York City. Please note that Ebola is spread ONLY from person to person via direct contact with body fluids from symptomatic patients (i.e.: blood, urine, sweat, stool, vomitus, semen and breast milk, etc.). The incubation period is 2 to 21 days. Patients are NOT infectious during incubation, only after symptom onset.

Health Care workers have the greatest risk, at the moment. NOT the general public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut