Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 06:46 PM

502 posts, read 1,392,129 times

Advertisements

don't you have anything better to do than pick apart posts? Have I hit a nerve because you're a landlord? What's your fixation about finding it hard to believe that I had a horrible experience in CT??? What part of "we didn't find ONE good rental" don't you understand? Sometimes in life, things don't always work out for everybody.... you must be one of those fortunate people who has never had a bad stretch of circumstances. I've really had it with your replies to my posts on this board, telling me how ODD you think I am. Other people have given me pos. rep points for this thread.... if you want to rent me a house that's one thing... if you're here to pick me apart, I'm not interested.

Last edited by itscolduphere; 12-17-2009 at 07:00 PM..

Old 12-17-2009, 07:05 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
don't you have anything better to do than pick apart posts? Have I hit a nerve because you're a landlord? What's your fixation about finding it hard to believe that I had a horrible experience in CT??? What part of "we didn't find ONE good rental" don't you understand? Sometimes in life, things don't always work out for everybody.... you must be one of those fortunate people who has never had a bad stretch of circumstances. I've really had it with your replies to my posts on this board, telling me how ODD you think I am. Other people have given me pos. rep points for this thread.... if you want to rent me a house that's one thing... if you're here to pick me apart, I'm not interested.
I don't think your story is odd at all. I completely agree with you.

CT is seriously lacking in the rental department. Either very high end and expensive, or crappy in a not so nice neighborhood. There are not many in between.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:07 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
don't you have anything better to do than pick apart posts? Have i hit a nerve because you're a landlord? What's your fixation about finding it hard to believe that i had a horrible experience in ct??? What part of "we didn't find one good rental" don't you understand? Sometimes in life, things don't always work out for everybody.... You must be one of those fortunate people who has never had a bad stretch of circumstances. I've really had it with your replies to my posts on this board, telling me how odd you think i am. Other people have given me pos. Rep points for this thread.... If you want to rent me a house that's one thing... If you're here to pick me apart, i'm not interested.
+3.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:12 PM

Thank you for agreeing, Kidyankee... I don't have outrageously unrealistic taste. I want a pleasant healthy pace to stay until I'm ready to buy again... I don't come here on this board to have my personal bad situation picked apart by someone who was not in my shoes at the time. I'm using this place as a guide to if I should come back or perhaps look elsewhere. I'm not here to bash CT either. It's a beautiful place and it's a shame about the rental housing.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:17 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
I don't come here on this board to have my personal bad situation picked apart by someone who was not in my shoes at the time.

Then complain to the moderation. Someone very recently expressed the same frustration that you are describing.

Edit to add: Found that thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/conne...ss-groton.html

Old 12-17-2009, 07:23 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Thank you for agreeing, Kidyankee... I don't have outrageously unrealistic taste. I want a pleasant healthy pace to stay until I'm ready to buy again... I don't come here on this board to have my personal bad situation picked apart by someone who was not in my shoes at the time. I'm using this place as a guide to if I should come back or perhaps look elsewhere. I'm not here to bash CT either. It's a beautiful place and it's a shame about the rental housing.
I hope you can find a place so you can come back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post

Old 12-17-2009, 07:24 PM

Me too, afterall, that's why I'm here. You have yourself a great evening

Old 12-17-2009, 07:32 PM

834 posts, read 2,278,059 times
Look CT is a fantastic place to live but itscolduphere is not kidding about rentals.
I'm not saying that I want it to look like Florida with rentals on every corner. I'm just saying that he is right that the Farmington valley seriously lacks in rentals.
You don't have a variety at all. And they seem to be extreme either dumpy and old or gorgeous and running 3-5k a month. I know because we went through this frustration last year and now I'm going through it again looking for my parents.

Our house we rent is 1400 a month and it was advertised as a "cheap" rental because it was cheap! So for 1400 a month we are in a 100 year old house that is 900 square feet and tons of things wrong with it. It was updated a bit in the 1960's so we go from 100 years old to 40 years old depending on the room you are in.
It's hard compared to when you are coming from an area where there are loads of rentals to choose from, completely updated and offering first month's rent free. I don't know about other areas of Ct. Maybe they are chock full of rentals. But itscolduphere is absolutely right about the Farmington Valley lacking.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:00 PM

Thanks, YRose. I'm sorry we don't have a more positive comment but yes, it's the truth. I moved to NC knowing it was temporary, because if you need to go four counties over to find a damn rental (if you can!), then you may as well keep going if it's temporary. Plus I knew at least we'd be comfortable in a brand new house here until we moved back up there to "whatever awaits". It's a shame that sounds so depressing!!!

Maybe it's just more acceptable in CT to offer less for the money, because it's close to New York and NY'ers are used to taking what they can get in the city??? So people are used to just shutting up and putting up? I dunno. Does calling "the Empire Carpet Man" really cost that much?

Cheers.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:48 PM

438 posts, read 1,197,015 times
Quote:
No one should have to live with mold Goldenband... esp. tenants in a rental home. Yes mold spores are everywhere, all the time. But not fixing bad water damage is not normal. To expect a tenant to live with it is absurd. If you're a homeowner, at least you can fix it and aren't at the mercy of the landlord.
I agree with most of what you say, depending on what "living with mold" constitutes. Some people can develop black mold on their windowsills and have it be there for months, even years, without noticing it. Others are much more sensitive or observant; some people can't even handle a hint of the stuff, and require a pristine environment. Severe water damage and mold growth in the walls is obviously not OK.

Quote:
I don't think its any more of an issue in NE than in the Midwest where I'm from, and it was not a common thing there (and people's attitude was not to expect to find it or not remediate it). Midwest climate is similar.
Perhaps you're right. I can't speak to the Midwest, but my family has lived throughout the Northeast, and we've had to battle mold in most places we've lived. But interestingly, this article claims that the desert states are among the worst offenders for mold, with nothing in New England showing up in the top 10 (and MA in the bottom 5). YMMV.

Quote:
To imply that I shouldn't look for a home in New England and not expect mold is pretty silly, and not very nice IMHO. I will shut up about it now on this board, but despite your comments I will keep looking and expect to find something nice in New England, where I have a right to expect something without mold.
That was not my implication. I'm just reacting to the fact that you've frequently mentioned mold and moldy housing in your posts, and seem very frustrated. This gives the impression that mold is an important issue for you, and so in turn, suggests that you might be happiest in a state where it's less likely to be a problem. (I thought that would be the desert states, but that article says I was wrong!)

Surely that's not a terribly controversial thing to suggest? After all, people tend to be unhappy if they feel like they're always fighting their environment. Folks with chronic nosebleeds or heat sensitivity may never feel at home in the dry desert; people with allergies and mold sensitivies should probably avoid the Louisiana bayou; people who hate McMansions and strip malls should avoid most of Florida. With CT's older housing stock and weird rental market, you may have a hard time finding what you need.

I can say that in much of New England, and/or if you're anywhere near the water, you need to be a very scrupulous housecleaner in order to avoid mold, since it'll grow on absolutely anything if given a chance: furniture, clothing, even your kitchen cabinet. Temperature differentials between outdoors and indoors provide the condensation and moisture that attracts mold...so maybe the New England winters and the desert summers are, paradoxically enough, the respective culprits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut