Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:57 PM

68 posts, read 80,809 times

Advertisements

Thanks JayCT. Is Stratfield or University areas of Fairfield better for schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 09:02 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,776,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starshrike View Post
Is Stratfield or University areas of Fairfield better for schools?
Fairfield is nice, but i'm not sure that i totally agree with the idea that you need to look there right now. Your budget is perfectly fine for the nicer areas of Norwalk, and you shouldn't encounter any real difficulty selling 5/7/10 years down the road.

Last edited by Stratford, Ct. Resident; 11-21-2014 at 09:12 PM..

Old 11-22-2014, 09:05 AM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
Quote:
Thanks JayCT. Is Stratfield or University areas of Fairfield better for schools?
One thing you need to understand about schools in Connecticut, our school systems are generally small in size and they follow a pretty strict curiculum so you really don't find a lot of difference in quality of education in different schools in each town. The schools in both Stratfield and the University areas are good and any difference is likely more related to the socio-economic make up of the school students. I would be more concerned with finding a home that suits your needs best than which school in Fairfield it is districted for. The link below will give you information on schools within each town in Connecticut. I look for schools that perform at or above the state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests.

As for Norwalk, it is a nice enough town but unless you really do want to move in a few years, it might be better to just buy in the town you want to stay in for a long time. This is JMHO though, Jay

State Department of Education - CEDaR

Old 11-22-2014, 12:11 PM

879 posts, read 1,651,125 times
Quote:
Both are great - both high schools in Fairfield are highly rated, as are all the elementary schools except one (and in that case it's because there's a large international population and many non-native English speakers who are forced to take the same tests as the other kids...based on the middle school and high school scores, it seems they catch up quickly )

Old 11-22-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Fairfield is nice, but i'm not sure that i totally agree with the idea that you need to look there right now. Your budget is perfectly fine for the nicer areas of Norwalk, and you shouldn't encounter any real difficulty selling 5/7/10 years down the road.
I agree about the budget and that there are good, nice areas of Norwalk - I wonder what will happen with interest rates that far down the road, though...not that people have had issues in the past paying more than the rates are now!

Old 11-22-2014, 11:22 PM

570 posts, read 471,548 times
To OP,

Some good advice here on Fairfield. I am nearly in same situation as you in terms of price range, perhaps a little higher ($525k tops) and I have to commute to Stamford. Market is very competitive in Fairfield at 500k range, even now in typically dead winter months. I have been outbid 3 times this month. Anything in good shape and priced right goes quickly. That said, there are tons of garbage homes sitting as overpriced, terrible condition or busy locations. Look at the taxes too! Fairfield is quickly losing its place as affordable alternative to Darien/Westport. I saw a home at .11 acres with almost 10k bill. Nuts.. At this price range, 95% of Fairfield homes are embarrassing and you would not be proud of your purchase. I wonder how sustainable it is; perhaps govt. has inflated another bubble. Lots of delusional flippers out there as well like the Marlborough home. You really have to use google maps to avoid seeing homes on very busy streets, flood zones (major problem! I think 30% of inventory now around $500k are in flood zones), or ones that back highways/shopping. I suggest Cranbury Park area of Norwalk. It is nice, wooded area and convenient. Elementary is solid. I am starting my search tomorrow. Good luck.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:07 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,155,401 times
Fairfield is about to embark on a another town wide revaluation so expect a further increase in prop tax. Currently i believe its 25 mill rate, wouldnt be be surprised to see it go over 30.
OP should also realize Stratfield is far northeastern part of town not much closer than Trumbull. A NYC commute from there is impossible. On the other hand, a similar priced home there will be bigger and nicer than lower Fairfield and Norwalk.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:29 AM

68 posts, read 80,809 times
Any 2cents for neighborhoods that might fit my needs in Stamford? I looked at some old threads to avoid essentially the SE and SW sides.

After just driving around this past week, Fairfield -> Norwalk commute does not appear great. I'll pull my search out of Fairfield and keep it primarily in the Norwalk area for job commutes, in the event anyone needs to commute to NYC. Less commute frustration = happier people. If Stamford neighborhoods work out, then I will look there as well. We're ok with a smaller place for now, and generally prefer one that is not turnkey so we can do some "personalization". Granted, the "reno budget" might not exist for several months with the housing prices.

I have also learned that the commuter train lot passes have multi-year waits for one?? How do you get around this, or really just the other option is to pay daily pass price?

Old 11-23-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
To OP,

Some good advice here on Fairfield. I am nearly in same situation as you in terms of price range, perhaps a little higher ($525k tops) and I have to commute to Stamford. Market is very competitive in Fairfield at 500k range, even now in typically dead winter months. I have been outbid 3 times this month. Anything in good shape and priced right goes quickly. That said, there are tons of garbage homes sitting as overpriced, terrible condition or busy locations. Look at the taxes too! Fairfield is quickly losing its place as affordable alternative to Darien/Westport. I saw a home at .11 acres with almost 10k bill. Nuts.. At this price range, 95% of Fairfield homes are embarrassing and you would not be proud of your purchase. I wonder how sustainable it is; perhaps govt. has inflated another bubble. Lots of delusional flippers out there as well like the Marlborough home. You really have to use google maps to avoid seeing homes on very busy streets, flood zones (major problem! I think 30% of inventory now around $500k are in flood zones), or ones that back highways/shopping. I suggest Cranbury Park area of Norwalk. It is nice, wooded area and convenient. Elementary is solid. I am starting my search tomorrow. Good luck.
Hrm...well, I disagree with this assessment of Fairfield, having just bought slightly higher than your budget with no bid war issues and having seen several homes in the high 400s that were almost right (but just slightly smaller than we wanted for a forever home). There are several nice homes on Buena Vista that are under 500k with good taxes, as an example. I know the OP is no longer interested in Fairfield, but I was surprised to hear your experience relative to ours.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:09 AM

570 posts, read 471,548 times
Lintu,

I should say that I have been looking primarily in University area of Fairfield so much tougher to find home for 525k. Anything reasonable gets snapped up. Stratfield has some nice homes but a little too far north for me as I need to take train. Agree that lots of nice homes in Stratfield area though. They are not moving as quickly as lower Fairfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut