Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 04:42 PM

847 posts, read 1,351,818 times

Advertisements

So my wife has been approached about a promotion but we would have to move to Manchester, CT if she were to take it and while we have never been there, we are not very excited about it mainly because of the weather but from what I can tell, it seems quite expensive compared to where we are now.

I would love to here more about the area from people that live there. How are the schools, the job market, the housing market, traffic, etc, etc.

Her location would be on Tolland Turnpike so without considering where I would work, we would want the commute there as short as possible.

I went back to school later in life and went through an awesome internship that landed me a job working at one of the big banks in the technology sector here in Charlotte, NC. I don't have a ton of experience yet (less than a year) so I am not sure how easy it would be for me to find a job paying a similar income. Not only that, but I do not like the idea of walking away from my new career opportunity.

Other reasons we are not thrilled about moving is because the schools here where we live are amazing; ranked number one in the state this year. We moved here from VA so we are used to the cold weather and snow but we do not like it and have no desire to live in that climate again.

After reading all of this, you may ask why even consider it? The issue is that her job may be eliminated here and if she does not take the promotion, she may be without a job. If if this does not happen, the way they look at it where she works is if someone is not relocatable, they are not promotable either and her chance for advancement there will pretty much be null and void.

The job market is coming back here but who knows how long it will take her to find a job if she starts looking or is forced to look if a lay off does happen.

Anyway, thoughts? Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 05:13 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,976,191 times
Um, Connecticut will be WAY colder and snowier than Virginia. People move to Virginia from Connecticut to get away from the cold and snow. If you couldn't take the climate there you will hate it here.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:51 PM

625 posts, read 2,050,699 times
If you like it in Charlotte and are happy with your quality/cost of life, I'm not sure that I would move. I understand she could be out of a job, but it sounds like she would at least collect unemployment and that would hopefully allow you bridge the gap while she finds a new position. I lived in Virginia and NC for a bit and the economy in Charlotte seemed fairly robust, unless she has some very specialized role.

It sounds like if you moved here, you would be out of a job, so you'd still be down one income. Would you be able to collect unemployment while you looked for a job here? It doesn't seem like it because you would be quitting your job in NC to move here.

It sounds like you're happy with NC for several reasons. I would probably stay put and just have her try to find a new job there, if the situation presents itself.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:41 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,847 times
I was downsized by metlife in CT and was offered a position in Charlotte NC and also was offered a similar position with a different company in Florida, I was seriously considering Charlotte and was amazed at thevtaxes and what I could get for $250k. Wound up in Florida because I fish a lot and didn't want to be 4 hours from the ocean. Think hard before moving to CT cost of living is way high and weather not so hot if you don't like winter. Last winter did us in, I scraped snow off my truck April 16 th the day we left CT.

If Manchester is in your future, we lived in Glastonbury CT , a nicer safer New England town you will be hard pressed to find, and is the next town west from Manchester. manchhester has some nice areas, Glastonbury has all nice areas. We had no crime for the 9 years we lived there aside from one small car break in where a laptop was stolen from neighbors. Good luck, CT is very nice but economic climate not the greatest...you should find some work in Hartford though...which is close to both Manchester and Glastonbury

Old 10-29-2014, 06:50 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,847 times
Also schools in Glastonbury are tops, Manchester not so much.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:00 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Schools in Manchester are so-so. Certainly not the highest quality in the area. Manchester is also one of the least expensive towns in its area.

You found Manchester expensive. You say you have great schools where you are. To get those better
schools you'd have to move to a more expensive town than Manchester.

I think you'd be better off staying where you are in that regard. Financially and scholastically, it doesn't seem to make much sense for you to move.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
Um, Connecticut will be WAY colder and snowier than Virginia. People move to Virginia from Connecticut to get away from the cold and snow. If you couldn't take the climate there you will hate it here.
I never said I couldn't take the climate. I lived in that climate for over 30 years. In fact, I worked outside year round, at night, even farther north for over eight years in my previous career.

I just choose not to deal with it any longer if given the choice.

I'm not sure what part of VA you are referring to but where I'm from (southwest VA) the weather is very similar to Connecticut.

Average annual snowfall in my hometown: 46.7
Average annual snowfall in Manchester: 31.6

In fact, it seems to be a bit colder on average in my hometown.

Have a look <--weather.com

Last edited by wevie; 10-29-2014 at 08:12 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyBergquist View Post
If you like it in Charlotte and are happy with your quality/cost of life, I'm not sure that I would move. I understand she could be out of a job, but it sounds like she would at least collect unemployment and that would hopefully allow you bridge the gap while she finds a new position. I lived in Virginia and NC for a bit and the economy in Charlotte seemed fairly robust, unless she has some very specialized role.

It sounds like if you moved here, you would be out of a job, so you'd still be down one income. Would you be able to collect unemployment while you looked for a job here? It doesn't seem like it because you would be quitting your job in NC to move here.

It sounds like you're happy with NC for several reasons. I would probably stay put and just have her try to find a new job there, if the situation presents itself.
Unemployment would barely cover the mortgage. I am somewhat sure she can find something here but if she isn't able to and they do indeed eliminate the position, it would not be good for us at all. I doubt that I could collect anything were I to quit, but again, even if i did, it is pennies compared to my salary.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
I was downsized by metlife in CT and was offered a position in Charlotte NC and also was offered a similar position with a different company in Florida, I was seriously considering Charlotte and was amazed at thevtaxes and what I could get for $250k. Wound up in Florida because I fish a lot and didn't want to be 4 hours from the ocean. Think hard before moving to CT cost of living is way high and weather not so hot if you don't like winter. Last winter did us in, I scraped snow off my truck April 16 th the day we left CT.

If Manchester is in your future, we lived in Glastonbury CT , a nicer safer New England town you will be hard pressed to find, and is the next town west from Manchester. manchhester has some nice areas, Glastonbury has all nice areas. We had no crime for the 9 years we lived there aside from one small car break in where a laptop was stolen from neighbors. Good luck, CT is very nice but economic climate not the greatest...you should find some work in Hartford though...which is close to both Manchester and Glastonbury
Taxes? How bad are they? Right now we pay about $2600 a year on a $215,000 home. Taxes on new autos in the $30k range is about $300 each.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:32 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
Taxes? How bad are they? Right now we pay about $2600 a year on a $215,000 home. Taxes on new autos in the $30k range is about $300 each.
It will be difficult to find a decent 200k home in a town with good schools here. If that's your price range, you'll have to settle for a condo or you'll have to buy a home in a town with mediocre schools. If you can up your budget even by 50k, you'll start finding entry level homes in towns like Glastonbury and Wethersfield. That being said, you can expect your taxes to double (or even triple, depending on the town).

As others have said, the cost of living in CT is one of the highest in the country - and we have cold, snowy winters. Just keep that in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut