Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2014, 01:12 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,119 times

Advertisements

See that's why in 2015 I'm taking a vacay to CT and doing a little recon mission. I'm only an outsider looking in but from what I can gather from the folks of Connecticut and my own research this Seymour seems ideal. A 36 minute commute is no probably for Armyvet 1, my commuter rule is 60 minutes or less and I'll do it.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:31 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
See that's why in 2015 I'm taking a vacay to CT and doing a little recon mission. I'm only an outsider looking in but from what I can gather from the folks of Connecticut and my own research this Seymour seems ideal. A 36 minute commute is no probably for Armyvet 1, my commuter rule is 60 minutes or less and I'll do it.
Not to get off this wonderful thread topic, but the Seymour to Berlin is a terrible commute. You have to go through Waterbury which is a nightmare. That 36 minute commute will easily turn into about an hour once construction starts on 84. If there is an accident on 8 or 84 forget about it.

Fwit, if you are serious about Seymour stay south and west of Waterbury. These areas will offer good employment and somewhat an easy commute once you learn some back road short cuts.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:52 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
That's not gonna be a fun commute. Why not live in the Middlesex CT river valley? Or somewhere along the I-91 corridor? Those areas hold their own against Seymour. And they are more laid back, too.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:17 PM

Well you may have a point, gotta do my recon mission, I'll have a week a was able to narrow it down to where I can get in some sight seeing plus check out the Seymour, Berlin, and perhaps what you mentioned.

So this vacation will still be fun but have a little purpose behind it as well. I'm looking forward to it Nep that way I can finally make a decision based on seeing it for myself.

I may need to spend a day with a realtor, find out about using my veterans home loan in the state, and I'm debating if I should battle the state of Connecticut with bringing my .380 or if I should just sell the darn thing and start a new in CT when I get the laws down better.

What about pecan pie Nep? I have yankee roots myself but I do love southern cookin' it won't be a traditional thanksgiving for my family if we can't get a good old southern pecan pie.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:21 PM

Oh and Army up over U-Conn 14-0

Old 11-08-2014, 03:24 PM

No pie for me. I'm a health snob.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:37 PM

Well Nep pecans are from the fruit and nut group so I would say based on that information pecan pie is justifiably healthy

Old 11-09-2014, 10:07 AM

Another reason I' extremely pissed right now is because the rental market here in FFC is so dog eat dog.

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I have called to see an apartment, only to be told "oh i'm sorry....that one has already been rented," or "oh i'm sorry....that one is already under contract." They then explain to me that the market moves very fast around here and that if you see a place you like, you must GRAB IT ASAP. Ridiculous. I never experienced this in Hartford County.

Furthermore, the new standard is becoming TWO months of security deposit plus first month's rent and credit check. So, for a basic $1,600 1 bed apartment, they expect you to pay $4,820 on day one, which means $3,200 of MY cash will sit in escrow for the entire time I'm living in the apartment. Ridiculous. They've got to be KIDDING me! Not having access to $3,200 of my own cash is simply inhumane.

I hope all of these landlords go to hell. I have never had to deal with this crap in the Hartford area. Ever.

With the highest income inequality of any other metropolitan area in the nation, extreme housing costs, extreme traffic, extreme fast pace, nonexistent gay community, lack of significant shopping centers, annoying NYC influence, and aged infrastructure, I can unequivocally say that Fairfield County is probably the worst place to live in the United States of America.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:51 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Another reason I' extremely pissed right now is because the rental market here in FFC is so dog eat dog.

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I have called to see an apartment, only to be told "oh i'm sorry....that one has already been rented," or "oh i'm sorry....that one is already under contract." They then explain to me that the market moves very fast around here and that if you see a place you like, you must GRAB IT ASAP. Ridiculous. I never experienced this in Hartford County.

Furthermore, the new standard is becoming TWO months of security deposit plus first month's rent and credit check. So, for a basic $1,600 1 bed apartment, they expect you to pay $4,820 on day one, which means $3,200 of MY cash will sit in escrow for the entire time I'm living in the apartment. Ridiculous. They've got to be KIDDING me! Not having access to $3,200 of my own cash is simply inhumane.

I hope all of these landlords go to hell. I have never had to deal with this crap in the Hartford area. Ever.

With the highest income inequality of any other metropolitan area in the nation, extreme housing costs, extreme traffic, extreme fast pace, nonexistent gay community, lack of significant shopping centers, annoying NYC influence, and aged infrastructure, I can unequivocally say that Fairfield County is probably the worst place to live in the United States of America.
Great, move aside for those that can take the heat. You look and sound like easy pray so I'm not surprised.

Danbury has great shopping, I forgot which county it is located in though? Greenwich and westport also have amazing shopping. Wilton and points north have very little traffic and slower paced.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Great, move aside for those that can take the heat. You look and sound like easy pray so I'm not surprised.

Danbury has great shopping, I forgot which county it is located in though? Greenwich and westport also have amazing shopping. Wilton and points north have very little traffic and slower paced.
Well, obviously I"m talking about lower FFC. To me, good shopping is places like Target, Ocean State Job Lot, and things like that. I don't like ma and pa specialty niche stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut