Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 02:38 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Ridgefield is too far and my manager lives there. Awkwardddd.
Point 1, I get -- mileage is definitely more than from Norwalk, but honestly if travel time from Norwalk is taking you 35 minutes already, you'll only be looking ~ 5 to 10 minutes extra. Plus it's really a nice town that might be more your speed than Norwalk is.

Point 2 is just dumb though. I doubt you'd ever see him, and if you did happen to run into him at the supermarket, who cares?

Old 11-02-2014, 03:04 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times
It's been noted here multiple times that the individual does not like the county. Suggesting towns is irrelevant and I agree time is more valuable than money. Saving a couple of hundred in monthly rent would easily be offset by the gas tank.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:20 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Point 1, I get -- mileage is definitely more than from Norwalk, but honestly if travel time from Norwalk is taking you 35 minutes already, you'll only be looking ~ 5 to 10 minutes extra. Plus it's really a nice town that might be more your speed than Norwalk is.

Point 2 is just dumb though. I doubt you'd ever see him, and if you did happen to run into him at the supermarket, who cares?
My manager is a woman.

Anyway, I've been to Ridgefield a few times and I think I would be depressed living there. It just seems WAY too family oriented and geared toward old money people.

List of towns that I can't stand in FFC:

Wilton - families and rich people
New Canaan - families and rich people
Darien - families, rich people and pretentious as hell
Westport - families and rich people
Stamford - total yuppie-ville and feels institutional
Bridgeport - third world country
Weston - nothing there

Towns that I am okay with:

Greenwich
Fairfield

Towns that I like:

Norwalk

I may not like my apartment location and hearing neighbors through the walls, but I am fine with Norwalk. It doesn't feel pretentious, and isn't loaded with yuppies or wealthy families. It reminds me of a normal, middle class city/town in the greater Hartford area, like Manchester or something.

I'm satisfied with Norwalk. Hope you understand.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Saving a couple of hundred in monthly rent would easily be offset by the gas tank.
Really? Ridgefield is around 12 miles further each way, or 24 miles per day. If you have a car that gets 24 miles per gallon, you would save about 1 gallon a day, which equals around $3 a day. But let's call it $4/gallon. $4 extra a day multiplied by the 20 work days in a typical month = $80.

I would much rather save a couple of hundred in rent, than $80 in gas. Especially when you're talking about extending your commute by only 10 minutes. Though I do kind of find it hard to believe that Norwalk to Stamford takes 35 minutes -- seems excessively long to me, no? I could be wrong though, obviously. I do work with someone who lives in Norwalk (our office is in Stamford) and I think it occasionally takes her that long if there's an accident, etc. but I don't get the sense it's a regular/constant commute time. I will ask her tomorrow though.

Last edited by Lalalally; 11-02-2014 at 03:33 PM..

Old 11-02-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Really? Ridgefield is around 12 miles further each way, or 24 miles per day. If you have a car that gets 24 miles per gallon, you would save about 1 gallon a day, which equals around $3 a day. But let's call it $4/gallon. $4 extra a day multiplied by the 20 work days in a typical month = $80.

I would much rather save a couple of hundred in rent, than $80 in gas. Especially when you're talking about extending your commute by only 10 minutes. Though I do kind of find it hard to believe that Norwalk to Stamford takes 35 minutes -- seems excessively long to me, no? I could be wrong though, obviously. I do work with someone who lives in Norwalk (our office is in Stamford) and I think it occasionally takes her that long if there's an accident, etc. but I don't get the sense it's a regular/constant commute time. I will ask her tomorrow though.
Driving from Norwalk to Stamford in the morning isn't a big deal. It takes about 20-25 min everyday. But driving to Norwalk from Stamford in the evening rush hour is OMFG. It takes about 35 min on average just to travel those 9 miles. It's horrendous. I can't even imagine living in places like Shelton, Stratford or Danbury, as some have suggested on here. I am not going to spend 2 hours a day sitting the car or taking a train. It's insane. Sorry.

Today I saw an apartment in Stamford. It was at a complex built in the 90s. It was a 1 bd unit going for $1,690 and was 599 sq ft. I simply can't believe the prices there. I'm not even going to bother looking in Stamford. This is so depressing though. A person with a masters degree who makes a $75K salary can't even afford a nice 1 bd apartment. Pathetic.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:46 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Driving from Norwalk to Stamford in the morning isn't a big deal. It takes about 20-25 min everyday. But driving to Norwalk from Stamford in the evening rush hour is OMFG. It takes about 35 min on average just to travel those 9 miles. It's horrendous. I can't even imagine living in places like Shelton, Stratford or Danbury, as some have suggested on here. I am not going to spend 2 hours a day sitting the car or taking a train. It's insane. Sorry.

Today I saw an apartment in Stamford. It was at a complex built in the 90s. It was a 1 bd unit going for $1,690 and was 599 sq ft. I simply can't believe the prices there. I'm not even going to bother looking in Stamford. This is so depressing though. A person with a masters degree who makes a $75K salary can't even afford a nice 1 bd apartment. Pathetic.
Downtown New Haven is getting expensive too but you search if Hartford metro area has your job field it cheaper to live in Hartford area.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:49 PM

Yeah, Stamford is definitely pricey. I feel for you because you seem to have boxed yourself in geographically. It's tough. If I happen to have a eureka!-type thought for you, I will certainly let you know. Until then though, Norwalk seems to be your best bet. How much are you paying in rent now?

Old 11-02-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Stamford is definitely pricey. I feel for you because you seem to have boxed yourself in geographically. It's tough. If I happen to have a eureka!-type thought for you, I will certainly let you know. Until then though, Norwalk seems to be your best bet. How much are you paying in rent now?
Right now I'm paying $1,750 because I'm on month-to-month (a premium applies). Under a 12 month lease it would be $1,600.

There are quite a few places in Norwalk that appeal to me, but I'm just very worried about lack of soundproofing between units, which is the main reason I want to get out of my current apartment, in addition to traffic noise from route 1, which is 4 lanes and VERY noisy. But in my current place, you can hear EVERY little thing through the ceiling and walls. I can hear the girl above me having full conversations (almost every word) and I can hear her phone vibrate and ring. Also, the girl on the unit to the side frequently bangs the wall VERY hard to the point that my pictures hanging on the wall shake a bit. She does that for the STUPIDEST things, for example, when I push in the drawer on my vanity, or close the door in the bathroom shut. Or when I use my electric shaver, etc. She does this at 10:30 pm, as if its very late.

So, I'm hoping to god that my next place won't be this way.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:47 PM

Check this out in Greenwich. 1 bedroom, $1,600! Reverse commute too 9 Weaver Street #1, Greenwich CT - Trulia

Old 11-02-2014, 04:59 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,972 times
How in the world can you not be happy making 75k a year? Hell I own a house and only make 50,000 but I don't find the most expensive to call home either.

I'm on your side cause I've been in dark places before as well however you are an example of how money can buy you many things except happiness.

I think what your feeling is a deeper issue then just living in Connecticut. In my opinion if your are that unhappy there then you should move on cause there is not a job or salary in this planet worth your mental or physical health.

It is my opinion that you maybe trying to find something that just doesn't exist so you continue to allow yourself to be let down.

I think what you need is to get yourself a nice little home out in the sticks, get yourself a cute down to earth country girl, and go fishing on the weekends and to hell with everything else.

You are way too young to be this jaded, don't make yourself depressed over things you may not be able to have right at this moment, just because it didn't happen today don't mean that it won't happen tomorrow. Take it one day at a time buddy, you'll get there if you don't give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut