Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2014, 11:09 AM

369 posts, read 557,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I get mosquitoes gallore and don't live near a river or lake. What you should worry about more is living next to wetlands where the mud and water sit for long period of time. But again, mosquitoes are everywhere especially in the sticks. You learn to love strong winds to blow them away since winters aren't cold enough in CT to get rid of them..
Is Ferry Court area in Stratford near wetlands? I mean, to me that's what I'd call marshes...? Same thing?

Does CT have a mosquito issue, by any chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 12:01 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
I get mosquitoes gallore and don't live near a river or lake. What you should worry about more is living next to wetlands where the mud and water sit for long period of time. But again, mosquitoes are everywhere especially in the sticks. You learn to love strong winds to blow them away since winters aren't cold enough in CT to get rid of them..
Mosquitos are unpredictable in my experience. I live a half mile from a huge marsh and salt water inlet, so I should have a huge problem - but I don't. A few tiki torches in the backyard and I'm fine. On the other hand where I grew up in the "sticks" in northern FFC, in a damp wooded valley, is absolutely plagued by them.

I've read that Milford does mosquito control, so maybe that's why I don't have an issue.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliWood View Post
Is Ferry Court area in Stratford near wetlands? I mean, to me that's what I'd call marshes...? Same thing?

Can't you see on Google Maps that it's near wetlands?

I'd be concerned about flooding there.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:15 PM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:

Google Earth is great for so many reasons, take a ride through the streets or get a birds eye view of the area. As Stylo said... it's close.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fe...cba30eb0cb6095

Old 11-30-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Can't you see on Google Maps that it's near wetlands?

I'd be concerned about flooding there.
Mosquitoes and flooding, too? Maybe that's why the place is still on the market...

Old 11-30-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Google Earth is great for so many reasons, take a ride through the streets or get a birds eye view of the area. As Stylo said... it's close.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fe...cba30eb0cb6095
So when I went to Silver Sands state park a few weeks ago, those were wetlands, too, by the long bridge? Is that place full of mosquitoes as well? (it wasn't when I was there...)

Old 11-30-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
So when I went to Silver Sands state park a few weeks ago, those were wetlands, too, by the long bridge? Is that place full of mosquitoes as well? (it wasn't when I was there...)
There will not be any mosquitos this time of year. It's too cold.

As I said, Milford does mosquito control so I've never found them to be terrible anywhere around here.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:00 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
There will not be any mosquitos this time of year. It's too cold.

As I said, Milford does mosquito control so I've never found them to be terrible anywhere around here.
I find far fewer mosquitos as a I head inland. Gulf beach was always brutal.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I find far fewer mosquitos as a I head inland. Gulf beach was always brutal.
I live near Gulf Beach, it's not bad at all.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:19 AM

I was in the area again mid-week and I think I may have found a place. MAYBE. I will find out tomorrow if the owner will agree to the terms or not.

In the meantime, while we were visiting the home for the first time, I heard the loudest train horn - it scared me and the agent into silence. Turns out that's the law in CT with regards to railroad crossings.

Question is, do they blow that horn day in/out (at night, too)? And how annoying will that get, because...wow, it was loud. I believe it was Metro North - and I'm curious how many times a day I'll have to be subjected to that.

Also, the location of the home is right near Housatonic River and there was a funny "smell" mid-day, which the agent told me is due to low-tide. How noticeable is this smell when you're indoors?

Fingers and toes crossed for the new place. I'm seriously tired of looking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut