Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which CT city is the "worst"?
Hartford 10 17.54%
New Haven 4 7.02%
Bridgeport 35 61.40%
Waterbury 8 14.04%
New London 0 0%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 09:22 AM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
This! I'd have voted for Meriden for sure.

Bridgeport comes close to second. I dunno though, Bridgeport now is what I expect Meriden to be in 10 years.

Meriden is starting to improve their downtown and rebuilt Meriden train station for Springfield-New Haven Line and New apartments begin built.

MyRecordJournal.com | Meriden, CT | Another downtown demo project begins in Meriden

MyRecordJournal.com | Meriden, CT | Meriden

MyRecordJournal.com | Meriden, CT | Can

MyRecordJournal.com | Meriden, CT | Crews complete Church & Morse building demolition in Meriden

MyRecordJournal.com | Meriden, CT | City, developer form partnership to renovate downtown Meriden building

MyRecordJournal.com | Meriden, CT | First plans for razing two Mills buildings in Meriden submitted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 11:15 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Really?

So let me give you a hypothetical scenario here. Let's pretend you have a wife and 2 school aged kids and you are forced to choose between Meriden and Hartford. You can live in the "best" neighborhood, but you still must send your kids to the public schools. You would take Hartford? Or Bridgeport? Or New Haven?
This. Back to the New Haven vs Waterbury thing - I think people just have a trashy image of cities like Waterbury and Meriden, and a favorable opinion when it comes to New Haven's Yale scene and Hartford's corporate scene. At the end of the day, however, Yale and corporate mean nothing when you would be constantly concerned who your kids are sharing a classroom with. If people think a city's crime rate does not spill into the schools, they are 100% wrong.

There is a reason Hartford becomes a ghost town by 6 PM during the week.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:38 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Really?

So let me give you a hypothetical scenario here. Let's pretend you have a wife and 2 school aged kids and you are forced to choose between Meriden and Hartford. You can live in the "best" neighborhood, but you still must send your kids to the public schools. You would take Hartford? Or Bridgeport? Or New Haven?
Out of the three Hartford is the worst. All three have their fair share of bad neighborhoods, so its a push on that front. You can argue about Newhallville vs. the North End, but its really splitting hairs. When it comes to "nicer" neighborhoods, that is where Hartford fails. The West End is the only neighborhood that's decent, and even then its not that great. There's enough petty and property crime there to make you uneasy. Black Rock, Westville and East Rock are all much better neighborhoods. In terms of schools New Haven is the least bad of the three.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:49 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This. Back to the New Haven vs Waterbury thing - I think people just have a trashy image of cities like Waterbury and Meriden, and a favorable opinion when it comes to New Haven's Yale scene and Hartford's corporate scene. At the end of the day, however, Yale and corporate mean nothing when you would be constantly concerned who your kids are sharing a classroom with. If people think a city's crime rate does not spill into the schools, they are 100% wrong.

There is a reason Hartford becomes a ghost town by 6 PM during the week.
That is also why the target audience for all the new construction in New Haven is young professionals, students, and empty nesters. Mostly renters. It is the same in many cities.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:19 PM

What about Norwich, Willimantic, South Norwalk, Stamford, Manchester, Windsor, Enfield, East Hartford,
East windsor, Windsor, Bloomfield

Old 11-11-2014, 01:33 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,420,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
What about Norwich, Willimantic, South Norwalk, Stamford, Manchester, Windsor, Enfield, East Hartford, East windsor, Windsor, Bloomfield
Those cities aren't even close to the ones listed in the poll when it comes to crime. To call a place the "worst city", the crime has to be way up there (which is why Waterbury and New London don't rank near the other cities, IMO). There is no "dangerous" area of Manchester or East Hartford. Run down? Yup. Some shady areas? Sure. But dangerous? No.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:46 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Those cities aren't even close to the ones listed in the poll when it comes to crime. To call a place the "worst city", the crime has to be way up there (which is why Waterbury and New London don't rank near the other cities, IMO). There is no "dangerous" area of Manchester or East Hartford. Run down? Yup. Some shady areas? Sure. But dangerous? No.
I agree with you about Waterbury. The only reason it's on there is because it was the impetus for this thread's creation. Someone asserted last evening that Waterbury was the "worst" city, so i decided to see if anyone else agreed. Apparently 3 others do.

Unlike what some others have done here before, i'm not going to do a redo, or multiple rounds, or any of that nonsense. I think i have a pretty good idea of the overall opinions.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:09 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
New Haven would be Bridgeport without Yale, no doubt about it.

Why are New Britain and Meriden not on the list?
Having grown up in New Britain (public school all the way) I don't see how New Britain is that bad. People have such a sour taste in their mouth about New Britain, but it is really a "nice" little City. It has a lot going for it.

Hartford, Waterbury and New Haven are fine. They are Cities not Little House on the Prairie.

My vote, Bridgeport.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Having grown up in New Britain (public school all the way) I don't see how New Britain is that bad. People have such a sour taste in their mouth about New Britain, but it is really a "nice" little City. It has a lot going for it.

Hartford, Waterbury and New Haven are fine. They are Cities not Little House on the Prairie.

My vote, Bridgeport.

Downtown Watebury is zombie land Walnut St, Waterbury Hospital area, Boyden St area ? Waterbury Mall

Last edited by BPt111; 11-11-2014 at 02:28 PM..

Old 11-11-2014, 02:25 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That is also why the target audience for all the new construction in New Haven is young professionals, students, and empty nesters. Mostly renters. It is the same in many cities.
Obviously. There's a reason financially stable families would never live in New Haven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut