Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 02:12 PM

333 posts, read 467,321 times

Advertisements

Hi guys - I was going back and forth trying to decide whether to post this on the CT forum or in the Immigration sub-forum in Politics and Other Controversies. I decided to post here because it's very much a local issue - if you need to move it, I'll completely understand.

I spend a good amount of time in Danbury as I tutor part time at Western CT State University. I've been going to that city for many years to shop, dine and visit friends/family. Lately, it seems that the immigration problem has spiraled out of control.

I took my sister-in-law to the White Street area to look at a few apartments and when we did, the landlord was surprised we spoke English. This was an old home converted into 4 apartments and my SIL loved the apartment we looked at - perfect size, just right for her. We were walking out and one of the apartment doors was open; I glanced in and saw four bunk-beds lined up and a huge mat on the floor to sleep in (had to be about 10'x10'). The conditions were deplorable as it was obvious there were at least 15-20 people using this address as their home. Needless to say, my SIL promptly decided to look further. So we did, and it was like deja-vu with every place we visited. She decided to look at an apartment in New Milford and commute to Danbury instead.

I don't mean to knock Danbury as this problem seems to mostly be concentrated downtown, around WCSU and near Newtown Road, but what is happening in Danbury is mind-boggling. Recently News Channel 8 reported that there can be as many as 50,000 undocumented immigrants in the city. Just five years ago, Danbury was so much cleaner. Four years ago, the area was rated the safest metro area in the nation - now its rankings have dramatically dropped. Just walking though downtown Danbury, you get the feeling that you're in a South American city because all the store names are "Banana Brazil" or "Bonita". It's very sad that elected officials allow this to continue. I know mayor Boughton in Danbury has tried his best to tackle the problem, but I guess his best wasn't good enough.

I enjoy meeting people from all over the world and I hope I don't get any red marks - I'm not being prejudiced. I'm just wondering, what happened to Danbury? What about the landlords who allow in upwards of twenty tenants in an apartment made for two? Are the children of these adults allowed to attend public schools in Danbury?

Just curious if any area residents have noticed similar problems.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:57 AM

13 posts, read 54,227 times
Are the children of these adults allowed to attend public schools in Danbury?
Just curious if any area residents have noticed similar problems.

Fantastic that ILLEGALS PAY NO TAXES BUT SEND THEIR CHILDREN TO OUR SCHOOLS!

The schools, are terribly overcrowed from the infromation that I have received. I live in Danbury and feel that I am somewhat forced to send my children to private school. I stopped by the elementary school that we are zoned to and found out that the state scores are VERY LOW. The middle schools have 25-30 children to a class from what I have been told. Sounds like over crowding to me. I think its Great that we pay taxes for schools that we can not use.

also, I stopped in a few stores on Main Street (Danbury) good luck having a conversation if you speak english! MOST DO NOT!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:39 PM

271 posts, read 1,278,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautymarked View Post
Fantastic that ILLEGALS PAY NO TAXES BUT SEND THEIR CHILDREN TO OUR SCHOOLS!
They pay sales tax.

If they rent an apartment then part of that rent money they pay to the landlord will be used to pay property taxes.

If they gave a fake social security number to their employer then the employer will use that number to submit the appropriate payroll taxes to the federal and state government.

If their employer pays them off the books then it is the EMPLOYERS failure to pay taxes. It is strange that nobody ever mentions how the employers don't pay taxes.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:57 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,658,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reason180 View Post
They pay sales tax.

If they rent an apartment then part of that rent money they pay to the landlord will be used to pay property taxes.

If they gave a fake social security number to their employer then the employer will use that number to submit the appropriate payroll taxes to the federal and state government.

If their employer pays them off the books then it is the EMPLOYERS failure to pay taxes. It is strange that nobody ever mentions how the employers don't pay taxes.
This is not true. You are required to report ALL of your income to the IRS regardless of whether or not your employer reports it.

The problem is getting really bad in Mt. Kisco in Westchester as well.

They found a 3 BR house with closets with small mattresses on the floor. 30 people sleeping in the house, they said there was literally a WALL of roaches. Local police need to enforce code laws more strictly. The overcrowding causes a host of problems.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
This is not true. You are required to report ALL of your income to the IRS regardless of whether or not your employer reports it.
The employer needs to calculate how much payroll taxes(Social security, Medicare, Unemployment, state income tax, etc) that must be withheld from their employees paycheck and submit that money to the government. If they are paying their employee off the books then the employer is cheating the government.

The other posters haven’t said anything about the employers who are American citizens and cheating the government, they only mentioned immigrants.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:20 PM

394 posts, read 2,002,757 times
It is the responsibility of both the "employer" and the "employee" to report income. If the employee is an "independent contractor" (doing something along the lines of construction, or maybe housecleaning/babysitting) the employer will give the employee a 1099 form that simply states the total amount paid in wages for the year. (but only if the wages for that particular employer/employee relationship exceeded $600.00) The employer will also send a copy to the state and federal government. The 1099 form is very simple, and doesn't involve payroll taxes/social security etc., and any taxes due are to be paid by the employee. But in the event an employee does not receive a 1099 form, they should still report their total income for the year. (unless it was ridiculously low, I'm not sure what the cut-off is)

My dh is self-employed and reports his own income, no one reports it for him. He also submits annual 1099 forms for one person who occasionally works for him.

If you look at the town of Stamford, the town has actually installed metal signs on one downtown street where illegal immigrants line up by the hundreds each day for work. Homeowners and contractors pick up these illegal workers, and pay them $10.00 cash per hour, under-the-table. Many argue that the city of Stamford is also at fault for encouraging this, there is a lawsuit pending against them over this very issue. So to sum it up, it's not entirely the fault of any one group, there is plenty of fault to spread around.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:30 PM

The employer needs to submit copies of all 1099 forms to the IRS on a yearly basis. The employer should be blamed just as often as the worker.

We should face the facts, the majority of them earn such low wages that they would be entitled to a refund for their Federal income taxes. If the argument is about taxes in Fairfield county why focus on the lowest earners, why not those that collect their dividend checks lounging around the pool at the country club? They hire lawyers and accountants that structure off-shore entities in the Cayman Islands so they can "avoid" paying their fair share of taxes. Where is the outrage against them?

It is funny how history repeats itself. The early 1900's you found Italians and Irish standing on street corners hoping to get picked to work for a day in construction or a local factory. They needed Italian translators when they built the Brooklyn Bridge in order to communicate with the day laborers. The xenophobic editorials of the time claimed all sorts of terrible things about the Italians and Irish. It is interesting how it is all happening again to another group.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:00 PM

77 posts, read 325,414 times
Silver203

If I have this correct, you saw a room with multiple beds and some spanish storefronts and suddenly this is a "problem"?

These people you speculate about (you have no proof they are illegal immigrants or even immigrants at all. people born in this country speak spanish too!) live a minimal life and embrace their culture, and this is a problem?

The 50,000 undocumented immigrants you speak of pump your gas, cook your food, clean your sh*tter, and do a host of other labor intensive and low pay jobs that you depend on for your daily convenience, and this is a problem?

The children of poverty stricken families are sent to public schools to recieve a free education in hopes of bettering their circumstances, and this is a problem?

No my friend. The problem is not them. The problem is you.

The problem is your fear of the dark skinned and spanish speaking.

I encourage you to speak to some community leaders. Broaden your horizons. These people live meagerly while you (i assume) live much more comfortably.

When you are faced with these realities, you have a right to be outraged. But you are disturbed for the wrong reasons. These people face unimaginable hardships in hopes of bettering their lives in this country. You should not be outraged at their presence. You should be outraged that human beings are living in Golden Fairfield County under such conditions.

Seek social justice. Not base fears.

The community will not be stronger when the last spanish speaking laborer is chased out. It will be stronger when people of all backgrounds and cultures work together to improve their city and their lives.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:12 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,018,408 times
Lets keep the thread on topic, avoid stereotypes, avoid conflicts / attacks with and against other members. We can agree to disagree- in a civil manner.........thanks

Moderator.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:14 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,658,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reason180 View Post
The employer needs to submit copies of all 1099 forms to the IRS on a yearly basis. The employer should be blamed just as often as the worker.
Go look up tax law. If you do not receive a 1099 you are LEGALLY REQUIRED to report the income yourself. I do it for a client of mine every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut