Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 06:39 AM

678 posts, read 846,558 times

Advertisements

Alternatively, all the kids who I know went to Danbury High School came out successful in college and in their careers. Think along the lines of computer software engineers, biochemical engineers, medical school, etc.

Statistics can only speak so much in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 12:37 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
I'm still of the old school theory that you can get a good education no matter what public school you go to in CT if you work for it. I wouldn't put much stock in these scores especially now given the amount of parents opting their kids out of testing.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:31 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
I'm still of the old school theory that you can get a good education no matter what public school you go to in CT if you work for it. I wouldn't put much stock in these scores especially now given the amount of parents opting their kids out of testing.
Agree 100%

I went to public school in New Britain my whole life. The school system has a terrible reputation but I did just fine. I go into all the colleges I applied to, received an MBA and was working full time at 18 years old while going to college. I graduated with kids that received full scholarships to Cornell, Yale and Harvard along with many other schools. We just had our XX school reunion and you'd be surprised how many people from New Britain become engineers, doctors and managers.

I also know people that went to AOF and top tier schools who didn't make it through college and are working part time still living at mom and dads house. So, just because you go to a top tier school doesn't mean you will be successful in life. My parents were extremely involved and THAT is what matters the most.

Connecticut uses their school system to justify the high COL.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:12 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Alternatively, all the kids who I know went to Danbury High School came out successful in college and in their careers. Think along the lines of computer software engineers, biochemical engineers, medical school, etc.

Statistics can only speak so much in the end.
That's absolutely true. I know successful people from all sorts of school systems in CT, including Danbury. Some of the most successful people I know came out of the Milford school system, which is considered marginally above average for test scores. Also at larger schools with more resources, the advanced kids tend to have a very different set of classes, teachers, and tracks - with more opportunity to succeed. Standardized test scores do not translate that.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:03 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
My theory (atleast for SW CT) is if your not in Bridgeport then your fine.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That's absolutely true. I know successful people from all sorts of school systems in CT, including Danbury. Some of the most successful people I know came out of the Milford school system, which is considered marginally above average for test scores. Also at larger schools with more resources, the advanced kids tend to have a very different set of classes, teachers, and tracks - with more opportunity to succeed. Standardized test scores do not translate that.
I have a couple of co-workers with kids in Danbury elementary and they have nothing but high praise.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:09 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
To be honest, I find most people on this forum live/die by test scores more than people I interact with in "real life." You would think by reading this forum that kids who aren't in the public school systems in Darien, Glastonbury, Avon, Westport, etc. will end up cleaning toilets for the rest of their lives.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
To be honest, I find most people on this forum to live/die by test scores than people I interact with in "real life." You would think by reading this forum that kids who aren't in the public school systems in Darien, Glastonbury, Avon, Westport, etc. will end up cleaning toilets for the rest of their lives.
and I know some in Darien and NC that were incarcerated. More anecdotals.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:21 PM

34,914 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
To be honest, I find most people on this forum live/die by test scores more than people I interact with in "real life." You would think by reading this forum that kids who aren't in the public school systems in Darien, Glastonbury, Avon, Westport, etc. will end up cleaning toilets for the rest of their lives.
You have to understand something, when a poster comes to this website asking for us to recommend a town with good schools it is hard to recommend a town that does not have good test scores. Are we suppose to direct them to a poor performing town like say Bridgeport or Bloomfield? What other way is there to define a good school system than standardized tests? Do you think people here should know enough detailed information about all the schools in the state to answer the good school question. Do you really think a person looking for good schools wants a town with lower test scores? My definition of good schools are those that perform higher than the state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance tests. Without those I doubt anyone can call a school good. JMHO. Jay

Old 12-04-2014, 03:24 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,262 times
It's a weird topic, Jay.

When I hear the question "is that a good school?", I think of it as "does it have good teachers/administration/programs/opportunities/facilities?"

The question most people answer is.. "does it have a high % of non-minority/well-off students?"

It may very well be that people are getting at the latter, but my mind always goes to the former when I hear the term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut