Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 08:39 AM

5 posts, read 13,872 times

Advertisements

Good Morning! Although I grew up in CT, I haven't lived in the state for over a decade. I grew up in a small town in New Haven county and my first year of work worked in Hartford (terrible commute up 84- but I know how traffic is in CT). After living in NYC for 5 years and abroad for 7, my family (husband, 2 year old son, and 1 on the way) and I are ready to "come home" and are in the process of figuring out where exactly that may be. My family is still in the state which is the main reason I'd like to relocate back to CT. I'm interested in the Hartford area again. Jobs and budgets aside as we're still early in the process, what suburbs would provide the most family-friendly environment, good schools, and reasonable commute into hartford? I know there are a lot of forums answering those questions already, that I've already taken a read through, but in addition, are there somewhat smaller, maybe more rural areas that have good accessibility to Hartford where you can get a bit more space? We'll be in the state for 2 weeks for the holidays, does anyone have any suggestions of things to do/places to see to get a bit more familiar with life in a particular town? Any advice is appreciated, apologies if this is a somewhat repetitive/vague request. What I'm most hoping to hear are suggestions from people who love their town (and maybe even love their commute) as recent articles I've read don't paint the state in the best light unfortunately! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 09:15 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,373 times
There are many towns that will fit the bill, too many to list. Budget will be the limiting factor. I live in Marlborough (mostly single family homes on larger wooded lots) and can be in downtown Hartford within 20 minutes with no traffic, in less than 30 minutes on a normal day via Route 2. There is also a commuter express bus (CT Transit) to downtown from a carpool/commuter lot as another option. Other quieter towns "east of the river" but close enough to Hartford are Hebron, Tolland and Bolton. There are other more rural suburbs north of Hartford, like East Granby, that will also fit the bill. As a side note, my mission when I moved to the area was to stay away from commuting into Hartford from the west on I-84. I have never regretted that decision even for a second!

Old 12-03-2014, 10:07 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Other quieter towns "east of the river" but close enough to Hartford are Hebron, Tolland and Bolton. There are other more rural suburbs north of Hartford, like East Granby, that will also fit the bill.
I will second the suggestion to stay east of the river. An additional reason is that the commute will be away from the rising sun in the morning, and away from the setting sun in the evening. I hate driving with the sun in my eyes.

In addition, I like the Granby area and there have been good comments on the schools in East Granby here: //www.city-data.com/forum/conne...-income-2.html .

Old 12-03-2014, 10:36 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,498 times
I would hands down choose Glastonbury over WH/Farmington/Simsbury/Avon. On par with all of these towns in terms of schools, among other things, but MUCH less traffic, and a significantly shorter commute to downtown Hartford.

And again, the sun will be at your back in the morning and evening!

Old 12-03-2014, 11:09 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Like the others noted there are many towns to consider. It is really just personal preference. All of those mentioned are good choices but the best thing to do is find job and then Figure out where to live. You do not want to be living on the east side of Hartford and commuting to say West Hartford. I know that does not answer your question but that really should be how you select where to live.

I agree though that towns like Bolton, Marlborough, Glastonbury and Hebron would be good to check out. Also look at towns in the Farmington River Valley like Simsbury, Granby, Canton and Burlington. These should give you an idea of what you like. Unfortunately commuting into Hartford is not easy from any direction but I always thought that Bolton was well located for a small rural sort of town. Jay

Old 12-03-2014, 11:22 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
I have family in Marlborough and they really like it. It's super quiet and rural with great schools, but easy enough to get to a lot of things. If that's what you're looking for, it could be a good option.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:48 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,924 times
I second Jay's advice. I would also add, that if you have family that may help with your kids, you might want to consider towns South of Hartford. Rocky Hill, Berlin, Cromwell for example, although not rural, but solid suburban. If you need to drop your kids off to your parents for example, you could take 91 to 691 to 84.

Eastern towns are definitely better value for what you are looking for, but they would be a lot farther. Although Portland / Marlborough over the bridge from Route 9 might not be so bad.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:31 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Eastern towns are definitely better value for what you are looking for, but they would be a lot farther. Although Portland / Marlborough over the bridge from Route 9 might not be so bad.
Marlborough is a straight shot up Rt. 2 to Hartford...no reason to head toward the Arrigoni Bridge or Rt. 9 unless you work in Middletown. If you are in the northern part of Portland, also no need to go anywhere near Rt. 9. If you take Rt. 17 to 2, it is an easy drive to Hartford.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:52 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Marlborough is a straight shot up Rt. 2 to Hartford...no reason to head toward the Arrigoni Bridge or Rt. 9 unless you work in Middletown. If you are in the northern part of Portland, also no need to go anywhere near Rt. 9. If you take Rt. 17 to 2, it is an easy drive to Hartford.
I understand that, however my comment was in the context of OP traveling to North NH County towns to get to her family, if her family helps OP with childcare.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:09 PM

214 posts, read 180,294 times
I am in Colchester on the East Hampton side not too far from Marlborough border as well. I have 2 kids and have been really happy with the school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut