Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 04:52 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,731,580 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or do we have some of the WORSE drivers. Yesterday, its icy, and everyone is driving wayyyy too fast, causing one accident after another.

Fast forward to today when the temps rise above freezing its its just plain rain, and the traffic moves as slowly as if it was icy

Why the hell can't people drive a bit under the speed limit when it is simply wet, and drive 10 mph when its icy, NOT the other way around??

Geeze......so stinking messed up.

You'd think Hartford was I-95 from Stamford to Bridgeport the past 2 days.

Wise up people, and drive appropriately for conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 05:21 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,376,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Is it just me or do we have some of the WORSE drivers. Yesterday, its icy, and everyone is driving wayyyy too fast, causing one accident after another.

Fast forward to today when the temps rise above freezing its its just plain rain, and the traffic moves as slowly as if it was icy

Why the hell can't people drive a bit under the speed limit when it is simply wet, and drive 10 mph when its icy, NOT the other way around??

Because they're idiots. Every single snow storm it's the same thing.

With freezing rain, it's simply not safe to drive at all.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:25 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,278,301 times
CT Drivers surprisingly are rated as good to OK drivers by many websites that do statistics on stuff like this. It seems like everyone's in a rush or there just not as educated as others when it comes to driving in bad weather. I saw a bad accident a few years back on I-291 outside of Hartford when a SUV went into a skid on the Bissell Bridge. Obviously he didn't understand "Bridge Freezes Before Road" concept.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:39 PM

21,500 posts, read 27,753,205 times
I think bad drivers are everywhere. We just tend to have more variables to bring out the terrible (weather, congestion, dated road design, etc).

Old 12-10-2014, 05:57 PM

83,298 posts, read 74,586,896 times
Just too many souls compacted in one region/area. Each soul has a different thought every second on the road. One is thinking about braking, one is thinking about their job, one thinking about their pillow, one thinking what word to text next, one thinking about what exit is next, and too many not thinking at all.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:04 PM

402 posts, read 682,253 times
Just a bad place. I used to go there for work a few times a year. Always bad, always hated the time I had to spend there.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:30 PM

691 posts, read 1,143,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I think bad drivers are everywhere. We just tend to have more variables to bring out the terrible (weather, congestion, dated road design, etc).
Yes, but drivers here know they can get away with virtually anything on the road, aside from excessive speeding (>15mph over the speed limit, in general).

Left lane camping ad nauseum....failure to properly merge....blinding other drivers with one's high beams....these are all practices that would absolutely get one pulled over elsewhere but the state troopers ignore. Thus resulting in road rage that is unparalleled elsewhere.

The official motto of CT: "Keep left except to pass". I see this all the time even from teenage drivers fresh out of driving school. Apparently mom and dad do it..therefore, so should they.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:41 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,017,800 times
Traffic on 84 east between the mixmaster and the 91 interchange has been absolutely horrific the last couple of mornings. Every time it rains, it's like it's the first time anyone has seen precipitation.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:45 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,783,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post

Not surprising behavior around here. One difference between rain vs snow driving (IMO) - its harder to see during a hard rain especially with the road spray vs driving in snow.

I was driving on RT 9 a few days ago in Berlin area during a hard rain and someone blew by me on the left doing at least 100mph. Even with seat belts and airbags at that speed the risk of death must be significant if you crash.

A few years ago I had to drive to JFK airport in the early AM during a hard rain. I was on the Merritt from Meriden to Greenwich at about 2am-4am and I saw 3 separate one car accidents during the trip. IMO the Merritt is extremely slippery when wet (or my car just sucks).

If the police wanted to change behavior they would be sitting on the highways evenly spaced to make their presence known. That will slow people down and hopefully prevent some accidents.

The CSP seems to think picking up the pieces after the accidents is easier than traffic enforcement for some reason. Traffic enforcement here is abysmal.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:48 PM

478 posts, read 767,271 times
I think the reason Ct drivers are rated okay or good, may be that fatal accidents are lower than average, simply because the roads are so congested that speeds get reduced and though collisions may be numerous, there are fewer fatalities. Also so many larger states have expansive rural areas were the speed limits are very high, distractions fewer, and driving while impaired more common. FWIW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut