Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 10:18 AM

943 posts, read 4,258,459 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with the Eastside/Westside neighborhoods and/or the Central business district of Manchester. What are these neighborhoods like. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 10:51 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
Anyone familiar with the Eastside/Westside neighborhoods and/or the Central business district of Manchester. What are these neighborhoods like. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Manchester is very very diverse in it's housing and neighborhoods. You have pockets of development around the city...what I mean is one area of X blocks may have been developed in the 1930's and the homes reflect that era and then a 1960's neighborhood was expanded off of that 30 years later.

You can't really just go "east/west" in this city IMO. It almost breaks down to zones.

If you have any specific streets or sections of town, I'd be more than happy to help you. I'm not a native but moved here about 5 years ago based on the city overall vs others in the state.

Overall, it's a working class small city - one of the better ones in the state IMHO, with intact neighborhoods, an active downtown area, and one of the state hottest retail areas with tons of development always going on.

Access to Hartford and Highways is really good with little to no traffic headaches.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Manchester is very very diverse in it's housing and neighborhoods. You have pockets of development around the city...what I mean is one area of X blocks may have been developed in the 1930's and the homes reflect that era and then a 1960's neighborhood was expanded off of that 30 years later.

You can't really just go "east/west" in this city IMO. It almost breaks down to zones.

If you have any specific streets or sections of town, I'd be more than happy to help you. I'm not a native but moved here about 5 years ago based on the city overall vs others in the state.

Overall, it's a working class small city - one of the better ones in the state IMHO, with intact neighborhoods, an active downtown area, and one of the state hottest retail areas with tons of development always going on.

Access to Hartford and Highways is really good with little to no traffic headaches.
Census tracts 5146 - 5148 if that helps.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:52 AM

8 posts, read 23,302 times
Default Manchester

I'd have to agree with Jviello about Manchester's diversity... but if you're looking for a safer place to live, I highly recommend Bolton. Keep an eye out- houses will start coming on the market about February and prices are way down. It is the next town over to Manchester, 1 exit away off 384.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Census tracts 5146 - 5148 if that helps.
Okay I finally figured out where to download the maps etc.

That area you asked about above is - and I hate to say it, very diverse. LOL

There are some very nice pockets and some "not so nice" pockets (By Manchester standards, not Hartford's).

For instance, 5147 and 5148 are separated by Spruce Street. Spruce street has a block or two in either direct that's...eh, not so nice. BUT keep going East a couple blocks and you are in a very nice neighborhood.

Same for 5147 - it contains the Cheney district and all the new "Mill" apartments that are converted silk mills. Very very nice area. But it too has some small pockets of "not so nice".

I did a screen shot of the area for others to comment on as well.

http://www.ctchristians.com/misc/5146-5148.gif (broken link)

If you have a specific street or area within those areas, we can narrow it down to neighborhood if you like.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Okay I finally figured out where to download the maps etc.

That area you asked about above is - and I hate to say it, very diverse. LOL

There are some very nice pockets and some "not so nice" pockets (By Manchester standards, not Hartford's).

For instance, 5147 and 5148 are separated by Spruce Street. Spruce street has a block or two in either direct that's...eh, not so nice. BUT keep going East a couple blocks and you are in a very nice neighborhood.

Same for 5147 - it contains the Cheney district and all the new "Mill" apartments that are converted silk mills. Very very nice area. But it too has some small pockets of "not so nice".

I did a screen shot of the area for others to comment on as well.

http://www.ctchristians.com/misc/5146-5148.gif (broken link)

If you have a specific street or area within those areas, we can narrow it down to neighborhood if you like.
I think you mentioned one area more than once by acident. I think you meant to mention 5146 in the paragraph that starts out same for. Correct? I am assuming when you say "not so nice" by Manchester standards you mean what is considered subpar in Manchester would be fairly decent in Hartford because Hartfords subpar areas are much worst. Correct? Thanks for all your help JV.

Last edited by ogplife; 01-07-2008 at 04:36 AM..

Old 01-07-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:
I think you mentioned one area more than once by acident. I think you meant to mention 5146 in the paragraph that starts out same for. Correct? I am assuming when you say "not so nice" by Manchester standards you mean what is considered subpar in Manchester would be fairly decent in Hartford because Hartfords subpar areas are much worst. Correct? Thanks for all your help JV.
Yes, that's correct in all aspects. Our "bad" areas are nothing like the "bad" areas of Hartford. Also the second mention should have been 5146.

Most of the homes in the areas you mentioned are what I would call "older homes with character" and by "character" I don't mean run down...I mean older craftsman type homes with more detail in the design. Sort of a post victorian style.

Good luck.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:05 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
As a side note, over the weekend we went to the Parkade Cinema for the first time to catch a movie. We enjoyed it a lot. The theater shows second run movies but the price was less than you would pay at the theaters up in Buckland Hills. The owner is there running the place with his kids. They were all very nice and I wish them well. Jay

Old 01-07-2008, 12:20 PM

Thanks a lot guys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut