Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 01:33 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I don't think Danbury will ever see 111k. It's a zoning issue. There's not much left to develop there without seriously changing zoning. It is a mostly suburban town with an urban center.

Stamford at 148k would be detrimental for the city, IMO. It would mean a significant increase in density, change of character, and added congestion. Since so much of the town is zoned for single family homes, you'd be jamming an awful lot of high rises into downtown. I could see it hit 135k-140k though. But I guess a lot could change at 2030. Stamford really benefits from NYC proximity, but with a trend back to Manhattan in a very big way - it'll have to continue to fight to keep that economic base.

Bridgeport will definitely not hit 160k unless there's a drastic change for the better there. Your Bridgeport population increase since the 1990's has been largely fueled by immigrants and those displaced from now wealthier areas, including Stamford/Norwalk.
Good points, but I do digress w/r/t Danbury. There is significant undeveloped land on the NY border, particularly north of I-84. That coupled with mid to high rise apartments across several neighborhoods could easily push the population north of 100,000. I'm also pretty sure Stamford could easily support above 150,000 just developing south of Metro North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 01:46 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I wholeheartedly agree... However I also believe that the other considerations ARE reflected in the 1995-2013 growth rates. That is why you see declines for Hartford over this timeframe, during which the city suffered from the effects of corruption, failing education and mismanaged finances. Eventually the population will reflect unattractive variables.

What is most interesting (IMHO) is that Bridgeport had a higher annual growth rate compared to NH for just the 2000-2013 timeframe, despite considerable gentrification and urban renewal in the Elm City. Also I am quite surprised to see Branford losing population as an affordable shoreline town with favorable attributes. Danbury is running away as the fastest growing formal "city" in Connecticut while Newtown, Mansfield, Hamden and Glastonbury saw large spikes in terms of larger towns.

Bridgeport saw population increase because of immigration, low income/lower middle income from Stamford, NYC, South Norwalk. Alot of people migrants from Latin America/Caribbean

Old 12-15-2014, 02:13 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Good points, but I do digress w/r/t Danbury. There is significant undeveloped land on the NY border, particularly north of I-84. That coupled with mid to high rise apartments across several neighborhoods could easily push the population north of 100,000. I'm also pretty sure Stamford could easily support above 150,000 just developing south of Metro North.
The trend in Western Danbury is SFH subdivisions and townhouse communities, so we'll see. It is a growing area, but 111k would be a huge increase.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:54 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I don't think Danbury will ever see 111k. It's a zoning issue. There's not much left to develop there without seriously changing zoning. It is a mostly suburban town with an urban center.

Stamford at 148k would be detrimental for the city, IMO. It would mean a significant increase in density, change of character, and added congestion. Since so much of the town is zoned for single family homes, you'd be jamming an awful lot of high rises into downtown. I could see it hit 135k-140k though. But I guess a lot could change at 2030. Stamford really benefits from NYC proximity, but with a trend back to Manhattan in a very big way - it'll have to continue to fight to keep that economic base.

Bridgeport will definitely not hit 160k unless there's a drastic change for the better there. Your Bridgeport population increase since the 1990's has been largely fueled by immigrants and those displaced from now wealthier areas, including Stamford/Norwalk.
In Bridgeport they will just squeeze more people into the multifamilies.
Some of the other towns like Fairfield I don't know where 12000-15000 more people would go though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut