Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2014, 01:42 PM

8 posts, read 9,336 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We live in Manchester and plan to move within the next couple of years, but I am exploring our options for schools in case we do not end up moving within the next year, since my daughter will be starting high school next fall. She is attending a Hartford magnet school right now and I don't think she's being challenged enough. I know some of the IB magnet schools would be challenging but the workload they require (4-6 hours a night) would not be good for her. I am looking for something more in between.
We have been visiting many magnet schools and a couple that we were considering are CT River Academy in East Hartford (Goodwin College) and Great Path at MCC in Manchester. I have looked at greatschools.org and niche.com and they do have some helpful information, but there was not much on River Academy since it is newer and what there was about Great Path was not good. When we visited Great Path I got the sense that she could find challenging classes at Great Path, but posts described it as for remedial kids. This was a recent post so it seems to be even after they've had some reorganizing over there and turned it over to Hartford. Does anyone have any familiarity with these schools? The fact that she may be able to take college courses is a positive.

What about some of the honors classes at Manchester High School? The fact that it has 2000+ kids is not the ideal for her, but I'm wondering if it may be the better option. Any input would be appreciated.

Clearly no one can tell me what's best for my daughter, but I'm just looking for any experience people have had with these schools.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 06:42 PM

5 posts, read 4,204 times
Well I'm a senior at Manchester High School currently, and I love it. I've taken all honors/AP classes for all four years and feel sufficiently challenged. The thing I love most about MHS as opposed to if I went to a magnet high school (which I almost did) is that I got the traditional "high school experience." Whether your daughter values that or not is up to her but MHS is a great school that doesn't deserve the reputation it currently has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut