Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Move Out of Connecticut If You Could?
Yes 46 63.89%
No 26 36.11%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 08:13 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,317,951 times

Advertisements

Would You Move Out of Connecticut If You Could? Listen, I think Connecticut is an excellent place to live. I've traveled to many parts of the country and I feel very fortunate to live in Connecticut. Our state is one of the wealthiest and healthiest in the nation. We are located in the heart of the northeastern market and have a great culture. Unfortunately, many people including myself believe Connecticut is heading in the wrong direction. The cost of living is too high and many people are fleeing the state. Connecticut is not alone and surprisingly New York and New Jersey are in the same situation as us when it comes to high taxes. People are moving out of the Northeast and heading elsewhere. Im shocked that Connecticuts population is still growing and there are still many people making it by here. What are your thoughts about Connecticut and its cost of living? Would you consider moving out of state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 08:42 PM

63 posts, read 99,325 times
I did!

Old 12-12-2014, 08:46 PM

678 posts, read 848,185 times
I'd move only because of family, but, if my family was scattered across the Northeast, I wouldn't see why I'd move anywhere when I live in a state that has everything I could possibly want. If I have to pay more (and also earn more), that's fine with me. It's worth it to live in Connecticut. Especially in the region I live. It's so peaceful and beautiful here.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:16 AM

4,540 posts, read 6,810,883 times
If someone really wants to move they can. Whether it is wise is another question. If one has a lot of family and friends in Connecticut and that is important then one needs to keep that in mind and develop a plan to make Connecticut work for them, which may include moving to a less expensive community, downsizing, or gaining skills to get a better job.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:41 AM

86 posts, read 98,355 times
I did 2 wks ago today and the wife and kids will be joining when the house sells.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:18 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,494,258 times
If I could, idk.

I am not a huge fan of CT, but it is home which is a feeling you can't beat.

I'm going to go half way in and say. 'll have a permanent residence here and buy a summer cabin in Vermont. Best of both worlds.

But if I did move it'll be lateral, literally to Iowa.

Again the thing that scares me is the increase COL here. Sometimes I feel like I work just to be able to live. CT does have a very high COL which everyone knows, but the middle class is dying here.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:46 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,966,665 times
I'd prefer to stay in Connecticut, but if the right job opportunity came along, I'd consider relocating. Wouldn't mind living in the Boston area, and I've certainly considered other locations before (been flown to Houston 3 times in about 18 months now for various roles there). Most likely, I'd stick to the Northeast (DC area on up through New England) or the West Coast.

The odd thing is now that I'm in S/E Connecticut, I'm being ignored for jobs in the Hartford area and most of the calls for me are from either the NYC area or elsewhere in the country (got a call for a job in Des Moines and another in central Vermont recently)

Old 12-13-2014, 09:48 AM

19 posts, read 26,832 times
UrbanExplorer,

If you could?..DO IT!

Do it to experience life, to know what else is out there, to get out of your comfort zone and abandon our sedentary ways of thinking. Get to know the earth, make friends all over the world. Spin the globe! and wherever you finger lands: Plunge forward like a raging bull! and if you don't like it, start again.

Come along! What are you waiting for?

~West Haven baby!

Old 12-13-2014, 10:45 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,494,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
(got a call for a job in Des Moines and another in central Vermont recently)
You said it better than me. My feelings exactly.

Not sure what field you are in but my field (construction) many of the guys I went school with moved or have been placed in jobs in Iowa. For some reason, it is becoming very popular.

Some even argue that Hartford is not long the "insurance capital of the world" Des Moines IA took over that spot. A lot of financial companies and tech companies are moving there because the human capital is so strong and educated. Ames IA was rated the third most educated city in the country.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:54 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,966,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
You said it better than me. My feelings exactly.

Not sure what field you are in but my field (construction) many of the guys I went school with moved or have been placed in jobs in Iowa. For some reason, it is becoming very popular.

Some even argue that Hartford is not long the "insurance capital of the world" Des Moines IA took over that spot. A lot of financial companies and tech companies are moving there because the human capital is so strong and educated. Ames IA was rated the third most educated city in the country.
my background is mostly related to insurance finance & accounting, which is pretty common in the Hartford area, but not as common in places like Houston, Columbus, Ohio, Atlanta, Richmond, VA, Woodland Hills, CA, and many other places. Odd that I got a call from Des Moines, since they should have a decent amount of insurance talent there. Also find it odd that I'm getting more calls for jobs in Stamford and Manhattan than Hartford now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut