Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 10:55 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,907,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The #1 issue in 2016 will be income inequality and people are already aware of it.

If Obama won Virginia the second time around, the Democratic candidate will win it in 2016. I'm predicting a big Democratic win in 2016. Over the next two years, Americans will see Republicans in Congress for who they really are (obstructionists) and waffle again and vote Democrat. My prediction is that beginning in 2017, we will have a full Democratic Congress and president, so we can actually get stuff DONE!
If you feel economically unequal, get a second job. Work smarter and harder at your primary job and you won't need to cry about what other people have and you don't. Be an asset to your employer instead of some dude taking up space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 11:26 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,859,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_f View Post
Have you not been paying attention to what happened this past Nov 4th?
The GOP gained a few seats. Big deal. In 2016, almost all of the states up for Senate elections are BLUE states. The tide will turn again.

Furthermore, over the past 50 years, the last two years of a double term president has ALWAYS had this happen. It happened with your beloved Reagan as well.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:55 PM

34,864 posts, read 30,967,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
But Virginia is a blue state now in every presidential election. Even the county that Richmond is in, is a blue county.
Richmond has a lot of minorities and transients. Hampton Roads, Richmond, and NoVA carry the state. The rest of VA is as red as Alabama.

Old 12-25-2014, 12:29 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,172,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Richmond has a lot of minorities and transients. Hampton Roads, Richmond, and NoVA carry the state. The rest of VA is as red as Alabama.
That is very true about Virginia. About a decade ago I was staying at a campground near Lynchburg, Virginia not terribly far off I-81. We were only 100 miles or so from Richmond. There was another occupant of the campground, presumably local as they had Virginia license plates on their pickup truck. They had Jesus slogans painted all over the truck. As a resident of the northeast I had never seen anything like it before or thereafter.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:19 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,465,936 times
Just saw this and it absolutely put a damper on my day:

"The top 1 percent in Connecticut saw incomes grow by 35 percent between 2009 and 2012, while the bottom 99 percent of Connecticut taxpayers saw average real income growth decline by 5.4 percent during the same period, according to the report." (As Income Inequality Grows Nationwide, CT’s Top 1% Earn More Than in Any State | Connecticut By The Numbers)

I'm all for capitalism and people making as much money as they can. But, in CT, you cannot tell me the middle-class is doing better. I think the middle class is losing big time in this State and much of the other states as well.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:22 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,386,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Just saw this and it absolutely put a damper on my day:

"The top 1 percent in Connecticut saw incomes grow by 35 percent between 2009 and 2012, while the bottom 99 percent of Connecticut taxpayers saw average real income growth decline by 5.4 percent during the same period, according to the report." (As Income Inequality Grows Nationwide, CT’s Top 1% Earn More Than in Any State | Connecticut By The Numbers)

I'm all for capitalism and people making as much money as they can. But, in CT, you cannot tell me the middle-class is doing better. I think the middle class is losing big time in this State and much of the other states as well.
this isnt just a CT issue, this is a national issue. Executive pay has risen quite substantially to the average workers in the U.S.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:48 AM

34,727 posts, read 56,531,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
this isnt just a CT issue, this is a national issue. Executive pay has risen quite substantially to the average workers in the U.S.
You are right, this is a national issue. While the average American has struggled through the last recession, the wealthy have only gotten wealthier. I too am all for capitalism but when the Republicans keep wanting to cut taxes for the wealthy, major corporations stockpiling cash and avoiding paying their fair share and the middle class pays for everything, it is time for a change. Jay

Old 04-06-2015, 12:36 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,014,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You are right, this is a national issue. While the average American has struggled through the last recession, the wealthy have only gotten wealthier. I too am all for capitalism but when the Republicans keep wanting to cut taxes for the wealthy, major corporations stockpiling cash and avoiding paying their fair share and the middle class pays for everything, it is time for a change. Jay
Its not all Republicans. Its the establishment types that are the worst. And I don't see the Democrats as being much better lately. Crony capitalism is the worst.

Sadly, the non-establishment types will never have a chance. Look at the conservatives who get bashed by their own party. Those are the ones we need more of, imo. But the media and the establishment will do all they can to destroy them.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:40 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,617,539 times
I watched a really interesting talk that discussed executive pay from the 1960s (pitifully underpaid) compared to today. It made the point that 'talent' and the professions, starting in the 1970s, from film & tv, to athletes, to executives, began to realize their value and demand far more money for their services. They got it because the people in charge of making those decisions determined that even at the increased pay, it still made financial sense to attract and maintain the best people possible.

He did make the point though that compensation committees have become rather inbred after tons of consolidation in corporate america in recent years, so it's becoming more of a tit for tat situation for when the next person's 'time comes'. But that is only a very recent thing. For a long time boards were much more varied and there were many more corporations of significant size, not just holding companies, and executive pay still rose greatly.

I really do think the markets place major importance on management and executive performance e.g. who is running your ship, so it's impossible for these corporations to ignore it. They don't like to lose money.. they are paying these seemingly outrageous compensation packages mostly because they think it's worth it. If they thought promoting a middle manager to CEO would end up making them the same amount of money and the stock price would have the same performance, they'd do it in a heartbeat. These much lower level arguments about what a CEO actually does day-to-day compared to a low-end manager, don't really enter into the picture with these decisions. It's not about fairness. I think of it kind of like a bubble. Why do people pay a ****load for a house at a housing peak? Because someone else would, and that makes you need to compete for the same thing that used to be cheaper. I'm just not sure there's necessarily an executive pay burst coming.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:08 PM

814 posts, read 906,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Red as a fire truck and proud, I knew I didn't like NoVa for a reason and Richmond is home to VCU which is well known for its art programs which attracts hipsters, we race bmx in Richmond, can see them all day long out by the Farm Fresh and Poe Museum, The Fan, Short Pump/ Glen Allen very posh.

I live in the pretty part of Va, by the mountains and horse farms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut