Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:35 PM

814 posts, read 910,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
I have some bad news for you about Richmond VA. My husband was born there and he still has relatives in Williamsburg, Newport News and Virginia beach areas. While not as conservative as the deep south it is still plenty conservative. As you are a cheerleader for Governor Malloy I suggest you take some very long vacations down there to get a feel for the people and politics.

I happen to love that area of Virginia and it is the one area down south as a Centrist where I kind of fit in but you might not. They still all look at me as a very liberal CT Yankee but are somewhat amused by me (probably because I am not a real liberal) and get a kick out of me when I am down there.

But here is the thing, if you find you can tolerate the people and politics it is MUCH easier to live down there and afford a house. My husband and I were contemplating moving down there for just that reason but I didn't want to leave my family here in CT. I bet there is a very low income gap from poor to wealthy unlike Fairfield County.
Richmond Rocks and I will argue the point with anyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 09:10 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,935,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Richmond Rocks and I will argue the point with anyone
I agree. The Richmond area is very desirable. It kind of reminds me of the greater Hartford area. Not too big, not too small. Very nice suburbs and traffic is not so bad. The Richmond metro is just barely liberal leaning. It's centrist more than anything. The scenery, history and architecture is great, too. It is definitely a mild southern culture. That's where the accents really start to be heard, in about 40% of the people that live there.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:24 AM

Richmond was home to the Confederacy during the civil war, northern its not. Still some rough neighborhoods you wanna watch but in general its safer then it used to be. Its also home to VCU and University of Richmond so there is a student hipster element.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:29 AM

Still a good place to call home though

Old 04-08-2015, 05:11 PM

Richmond also hosts NASCAR which you are probably not into but its part of southern culture as well as college football is another big one, UVA Cavaliers or VT Hokies, Hokies are better at football, Cavaliers think basketball or baseball, VCU also basketball.

Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is nice, Richmond Zoo is decent, from Richmond you can take 95 to DC, Va.. Beach, Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, you also have Bush Gardens Europe and Kings Dominion.

If you like sports DC has the Wizards, Capitals, and Nationals, Landover Maryland is where the Washington Redskins play, their rivalry is the Dallas Cowboys.

I'm taking my boys to Baltimore this weekend to see the Orioles play against Toronto, first game for us as a family at Camden Yards.

Where I live in Va. I'm about 2.5 hours from Baltimore

Old 04-09-2015, 08:38 AM

684 posts, read 811,822 times
I loved Richmond, VA when my wife and i visited. We are deciding on either moving to CT or VA, family is the main reason for CT but the way things are going on CT its starting to turn me off.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:49 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
I loved Richmond, VA when my wife and i visited. We are deciding on either moving to CT or VA, family is the main reason for CT but the way things are going on CT its starting to turn me off.
Don't let the naysayers online turn you off. Millions of people love it here.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:55 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,828,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
I watched a really interesting talk that discussed executive pay from the 1960s (pitifully underpaid) compared to today. It made the point that 'talent' and the professions, starting in the 1970s, from film & tv, to athletes, to executives, began to realize their value and demand far more money for their services. They got it because the people in charge of making those decisions determined that even at the increased pay, it still made financial sense to attract and maintain the best people possible.

He did make the point though that compensation committees have become rather inbred after tons of consolidation in corporate america in recent years, so it's becoming more of a tit for tat situation for when the next person's 'time comes'. But that is only a very recent thing. For a long time boards were much more varied and there were many more corporations of significant size, not just holding companies, and executive pay still rose greatly.

I really do think the markets place major importance on management and executive performance e.g. who is running your ship, so it's impossible for these corporations to ignore it. They don't like to lose money.. they are paying these seemingly outrageous compensation packages mostly because they think it's worth it. If they thought promoting a middle manager to CEO would end up making them the same amount of money and the stock price would have the same performance, they'd do it in a heartbeat. These much lower level arguments about what a CEO actually does day-to-day compared to a low-end manager, don't really enter into the picture with these decisions. It's not about fairness. I think of it kind of like a bubble. Why do people pay a ****load for a house at a housing peak? Because someone else would, and that makes you need to compete for the same thing that used to be cheaper. I'm just not sure there's necessarily an executive pay burst coming.

If you want your mind to explode read up on Ronald Reagan's life and history. Pay special attention to his role as the leader (president) of the S.A.G. screen actors guild. Which is now (perhaps not during his time as SAG president) probably the strongest union in America. Professional althlete unions are probably the only other union that can come close to their power.

So if a union was good enough for Reagan why wasn't it good enough for others? Especially the air traffic controllers who he basically fired for striking.

I don't understand how the press didn't jump on this story at the time. The hypocrisy is enough to choke a goat.

I bring up Reagan because the downfall of labor's power and supply side economics basically started with him, even if he wasn't the brains behind it, he at least had veto power and could have stopped some of the policies or slowed them down. He chose not to.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:58 AM

684 posts, read 811,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Don't let the naysayers online turn you off. Millions of people love it here.

I love CT , i lived in NJ for 17 years so i have family all over in NJ, CT, and NY. I have to look at the state from a business point of view as that is what my career is , i have been in the food industry almost all of my life. My family and i have always owned and run small authentic Italian restaurants and pizzerias, so im not a big corporate company making millions.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:21 PM

I was born and raised in the northeast and the only downfall to that region is taxes are just ridiculous and that's why most people leave, as much as I like Va. even I miss NY and CT at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut