Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 06:44 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times

Advertisements

CityPlace I has been the tallest building in Hartford as well as the state of Connecticut since the mid-80s. There have been many proposed buildings in Hartford since the late 80s but we're later cancelled. The Cutter Financial Center would have been the tallest building in New England if it was built. The only cities in Connecticut that are capable of building such a skyscraper are either in New Haven or Hartford. Stamford has many small high-rises that are proposed and being built right now but since it has a height limit, nothing will get taller than Trump or Landmark. I hope that'll change and does anyone have a clue why there's a height limit in Stamford? Does it have to do anything with New York City or does Stamford not want to get "taller"? Anyway, do you think the next tallest building in Connecicut will come any time soon OR do you think CityPlace I will remain the tallest building for many decades to come?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 07:38 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Wow, I didn't know Stamford had a height limit, I'm kind of surprised at that, I'm curious myself.....

Old 12-16-2014, 09:45 PM

830 posts, read 684,180 times
I'd say New Haven would have the best chances of getting CT's next tallest. It would be a signature tower for NH. The ongoing development in NH is great, but the residential demand isn't there (yet?) for a skyscraper, but only smaller in-fill (and a lot of it!). The modernization of the rail network/infrastructure may fuel a strong enough demand to warrant skyscraper-high residential development, in return, potentially being CT's tallest. High-speed rail and better regional heavy rail are already in the works, so it could be in the matter of the next 10 or 20 years that CT's next tallest could be under construction. This is only my opinion though, and assuming NH remains superior to Hartford or Bridgeport.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:35 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
I do not think we will see any new high rise buildings in ANY of CT cities in the years to come. The trend for companies (especially insurance) is to downsize office space and work from home. Having a tall building with your name on it in today's world is not a good investment. The amount companies save on taxes, utilities and maintenance deters many from building.

On the residential side, until the schools in the inner city get cleaned up there will not be an influx of families (i.e. mom, dad and kids) into the Cities. They will continue to move out into the burbs. I'll give the edge to Stamford, if any, of the Cities because of the location to NYC. Many young professionals will continue to move to Stamford which will spur more apartments. I know Hartford is building a lot of apartments set to come online this year and that will be a test of the market.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:08 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I do not think we will see any new high rise buildings in ANY of CT cities in the years to come. The trend for companies (especially insurance) is to downsize office space and work from home. Having a tall building with your name on it in today's world is not a good investment. The amount companies save on taxes, utilities and maintenance deters many from building.

On the residential side, until the schools in the inner city get cleaned up there will not be an influx of families (i.e. mom, dad and kids) into the Cities. They will continue to move out into the burbs. I'll give the edge to Stamford, if any, of the Cities because of the location to NYC. Many young professionals will continue to move to Stamford which will spur more apartments. I know Hartford is building a lot of apartments set to come online this year and that will be a test of the market.
I agree with you. The demand for new office space is very low because of this trend so it is unlikely we will see a new major high rise office building built. They could not even get the new headquarters for Bridgewater built in Stamford so it is unlikely any new ones will go up there. New Haven may get another 10 story medical research building in Downtown Crossing but nothing much higher than that.

Still there is s modest trend beginning in some of the high tech companies to bring workers back into the office to promote teamwork. It remains to be seen if it takes off. If it does you will likely see a lot of new office buildings going up to accommodate them. But that is likely years away. Jay

Old 12-17-2014, 07:36 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
On the residential side, until the schools in the inner city get cleaned up there will not be an influx of families (i.e. mom, dad and kids) into the Cities. They will continue to move out into the burbs. I'll give the edge to Stamford, if any, of the Cities because of the location to NYC.
Of the cities that have an "inner" component, i think i'd guess Danbury would have the best potential of attracting families, with Stamford a somewhat close second.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Wow, I didn't know Stamford had a height limit, I'm kind of surprised at that, I'm curious myself.....
Stamford doesn't have any buildings over 400 ft. I think the tallest is Trump parc which is roughly 350 ft. There are dozens of building ranging from 200ft to 300ft in Stamford which is probably more than Hartford and New Haven combined.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:18 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Stamford doesn't have any buildings over 400 ft. I think the tallest is Trump parc which is roughly 350 ft. There are dozens of building ranging from 200ft to 300ft in Stamford which is probably more than Hartford and New Haven combined.
I've always thought of Hartford as having the best CT city skyline by far, which I guess I always equate with the city with the most tallest buildings. I could definitely be wrong though... I work in Stamford and so I'm there daily, and I honestly couldn't pick out its skyline even if I tried -- it's that unremarkable to me. Aside from Trump Park and Landmark Sq., nothing else strikes me as being in the 200-300 foot range -- everything else seems to be a super low-rise building. However, it could be that I commute to Stamford via a northern route, so I entirely miss the view from 95 (I come down Long ridge road via Bedford, NY)

Old 04-02-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I've always thought of Hartford as having the best CT city skyline by far, which I guess I always equate with the city with the most tallest buildings. I could definitely be wrong though... I work in Stamford and so I'm there daily, and I honestly couldn't pick out its skyline even if I tried -- it's that unremarkable to me. Aside from Trump Park and Landmark Sq., nothing else strikes me as being in the 200-300 foot range -- everything else seems to be a super low-rise building. However, it could be that I commute to Stamford via a northern route, so I entirely miss the view from 95 (I come down Long ridge road via Bedford, NY)
I completely agree with you. Hartford has had and most likely will always have the best skyline in CT. I think Hartford's skyline is better than Des Moines, Little Rock, and Richmond's. Not many cities have 500ft+ plus buildings. Hartford does. There are so many out of staters that i know that thought Hartford had 300,000+ and they were completely shocked when i told them 125,000. I love Hartford's skyline. I enjoy seeing it when i wake up in the morning. Open the shades and its right in front of my eyes. CityPlace, Goodwin Square, Travelers Tower and the Hartford 21 are all great architectural pieces. There are even many high rises outside of Downtown Hartford like the Park Towers and The Hartford Insurance Building (black building with the christmas tree). Even East Hartford has a skyline thats better than Bridgeport's. It has 2 buildings over 200ft and a couple small low rises. Now thats funny. But as for Stamford, nothing really sticks out when you look from the highway. They all seem to have the same height. Though i do like Landmark and Trump Parc. Did you know you could see NYC from the top of Trump Parc? Its a unbelievable view.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:46 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I completely agree with you. Hartford has had and most likely will always have the best skyline in CT. I think Hartford's skyline is better than Des Moines, Little Rock, and Richmond's. Not many cities have 500ft+ plus buildings. Hartford does. There are so many out of staters that i know that thought Hartford had 300,000+ and they were completely shocked when i told them 125,000. I love Hartford's skyline. I enjoy seeing it when i wake up in the morning. Open the shades and its right in front of my eyes. CityPlace, Goodwin Square, Travelers Tower and the Hartford 21 are all great architectural pieces. There are even many high rises outside of Downtown Hartford like the Park Towers and The Hartford Insurance Building (black building with the christmas tree). Even East Hartford has a skyline thats better than Bridgeport's. It has 2 buildings over 200ft and a couple small low rises. Now thats funny. But as for Stamford, nothing really sticks out when you look from the highway. They all seem to have the same height. Though i do like Landmark and Trump Parc. Did you know you could see NYC from the top of Trump Parc? Its a unbelievable view.
Thanks HumpDay -- can I ask a really bizarre request of you... Could you please rep me some points, because I'm currently stuck at 666, which has me entirely (superstitiously) freaked out! LOL!!! 667 would be so much better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut