Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 08:09 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,386,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
you're the one!

but seriously, I've used it in the past, especially when I lived in Ellington and worked in Hartford. However, I got pulled over several times when I was in the HOV lane because there was no passenger in the seat next to me. I had a minivan at the time and would have passengers in the back, but they couldn't be seen because of the tinted windows. So, the police had nothing better to do to than pull me over... you'd think the message would have gone out, "hey, the guy in the red Odyssey has kids in the back, so don't waste your time..."

You broke the law and got caught. It's a HOV lane and they routinely do enforcement on it. If they didn't enforce it, there'd be no point in the lane. Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 09:17 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,163,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
You broke the law and got caught. It's a HOV lane and they routinely do enforcement on it. If they didn't enforce it, there'd be no point in the lane. Right?
I think you misread, he said he did have passengers, just not in the front passenger seat. I think passengers in the back count IIRC.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:22 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,809,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I saw a snippet about this on WVIT yesterday too. I'm not an engineer or highway expert, but IMO the number one thing they need to do is remove the curves on i-84 thru Hartford. This includes the Park Rd curve. If they can't accomplish that they may as well forgot about it.

They can use eminent domain to acquire property in the area if necessary. I know the entrance and off ramps to/from Park Rd is very long. Surely they can think of a better way to use that space and can incorporate it into removing the curve(s)

If they could only remove the curve(s) that alone would have a huge impact on traffic in I-84. But if they are going to go thru with rebuilding i-84, they may as well go all the way and fix everything.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:30 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,296,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I saw a snippet about this on WVIT yesterday too. I'm not an engineer or highway expert, but IMO the number one thing they need to do is remove the curves on i-84 thru Hartford. This includes the Park Rd curve. If they can't accomplish that they may as well forgot about it.

They can use eminent domain to acquire property in the area if necessary. I know the entrance and off ramps to/from Park Rd is very long. Surely they can think of a better way to use that space and can incorporate it into removing the curve(s)

If they could only remove the curve(s) that alone would have a huge impact on traffic in I-84. But if they are going to go thru with rebuilding i-84, they may as well go all the way.
I think its too late to fix them. They can't move it elsewhere. There are too many surrounding neighborhoods to either ezpand or relocate and if they choose to relocate it will beyond anything you could possibility imagine. With no bypass around Hartford I don't even think that's a possibility. I think the curves on I-84 are what causes backups because people will drive slower if there are more cars on the road and when the curves come up it'll slow them down even more. East bound traffic gets backed up more than west bound because east bound has 3 lanes while west bound has 4. Whenever I drive on 84 in West Hartford and Hartford I see more people hit the brakes when people try and merge onto the highway. The car behind them will hit the brakes and then eventually 100 cars back it'll come to a complete stop. This is called a "Phamtom Traffic Jam".

Old 04-29-2015, 09:48 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,327,138 times
The speed limit (not that it's followed) through Hartford is 50mph, simply because of the curves and road structure, that alone adds time before you even hit traffic.

Also when going 84 West you hit the 2 exit only lanes on the right for Sigourney and Sisson where people do the dangerous dance of riding that lane and cutting in as late as possible and also the left exit for Flatbush where you can get a slow car in the left lane waiting to get to that exit.

Their's a new plan for redoing the Park Rd exit (signs have been posted) , I think the zoning meeting is tonight.

That exit is such a dangerous mess especially when you need to go from the left to right or vise versa when you get to the exit.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:37 AM

2,490 posts, read 4,705,441 times
The Park Road exit is being redone so cars have an easier time entering and exiting the ramps, and I think they're adding an additional lane for both ramps. Which I'm all for, since the current layout has major traffic snarl that needs some relief and this should help. The re-design will also result in a new bike path and making it more pedestrian friendly.

As for taking the curve out of that stretch of 84, that would be possible if it didn't abut numerous residential neighborhoods. For this reason, it's nearly impossible that it would happen. I'm sure a few trollers here will whine this is just another example of NIMBYism or being anti-car, which is fine, but let's inject some facts into the debate. This is an established residential and commercial area. It is not realistic to destroy a large residential and commercial area just for the sake of allowing cars to run through it. That's what ruined many of today's cities, and they still haven't recuperated from what was lost. Not exactly progress, IMO.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 04-29-2015 at 10:50 AM..

Old 04-29-2015, 11:11 AM

If it's not possible to remove the curves by acquiring property thru eminent domain, they should consider building a tunnel instead, to remove these curves. A tunnel would have the added benefit of not having the sun blinding drivers every day.

That sun is BS - riding east into the sun in the morning and into the sun going west at night. Who came up with that idea?

Old 04-29-2015, 11:45 AM

2,490 posts, read 4,705,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
If it's not possible to remove the curves by acquiring property thru eminent domain, they should consider building a tunnel instead, to remove these curves. A tunnel would have the added benefit of not having the sun blinding drivers every day.

That sun is BS - riding east into the sun in the morning and into the sun going west at night. Who came up with that idea?
Funny you bring up the idea of a tunnel. I actually wondered if that would be conceivable. I can't even imagine what it would cost to do that. But then again, if Boston could do it with the Big Dig, I guess anything is possible these days.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:01 PM

34,808 posts, read 56,697,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
The Park Road exit is being redone so cars have an easier time entering and exiting the ramps, and I think they're adding an additional lane for both ramps. Which I'm all for, since the current layout has major traffic snarl that needs some relief and this should help. The re-design will also result in a new bike path and making it more pedestrian friendly.

As for taking the curve out of that stretch of 84, that would be possible if it didn't abut numerous residential neighborhoods. For this reason, it's nearly impossible that it would happen. I'm sure a few trollers here will whine this is just another example of NIMBYism or being anti-car, which is fine, but let's inject some facts into the debate. This is an established residential and commercial area. It is not realistic to destroy a large residential and commercial area just for the sake of allowing cars to run through it. That's what ruined many of today's cities, and they still haven't recuperated from what was lost. Not exactly progress, IMO.
You are talking about 2 different projects here. The one that is in the news right now and having workshops all week is the Aetna Viaduct project which is going to replace the aging structure. There are basically 3 choices for the project, rebuild and improve the existing structure; move the rail line to the north and bring the highway down below the existing streets, or build a tunnel. The tunnel option is unbelievably expensive and the rebuilding would keep a very ugly structure. That leave the option to move the rail line to the north which unfortunately would mean building a new train station since Union Station is located on the south side of I-84. The engineers for the project were on Face the State Sunday talking about the project. Here is a link:

Video Landing Page - WFSB 3 Connecticut

The second project would smooth out and reconfigure the Park Road interchange. Governor Malloy specifically mentioned this in his transportation plan. Little is known about the project right now since it really has not gone far yet but it likely will involve taking some homes in the area. How many and where they are unknown. Jay

Old 04-29-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Eminent domain was used to build RT 9 thru New Britain (at the time is was named RT 72). A large neighborhood was destroyed for this. One difference though is I think a number of people in that area WANTED the state to buy the land because they wanted to get out of New Britain. My mom's friend lived in this neighborhood and her dad was always talking about it. "I can't wait till they take this house and I can get out." Even in the 1970's people wanted to leave New Britain I guess. LOL

I don't know if that sentiment can be found along i-84 in West Hartford & Hartford, but you never know until you ask. IMO if the price(s) are high enough people will move. It would be a hell of a lot cheaper than using eminent domain along I-95 in CT.

I just wanted to emphasize that any project to rebuild i-84 thru Hartford has to include removing the curves. IF the plan(s) don't include that, they need to get another plan. Tunnel would be one option, but ultimately it would probably be too expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut