Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:37 AM

5 posts, read 52,281 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help me? I want to move to Fairfield, CT. I do not know much about it but there are many different areas like soutport, the beach area, university section, and stratford nad greenfield hills (I think). I currently live in Westchester County NY and pay a fortune in taxes and am very interested in moving to Fairfield but i want to know what is the better area of those there w/the best school district w/i. I currently live in Pleasantville NY where there is high taxes but great school district. I am looking to be able to walk to town- an area that has sidewalks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 10:26 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Fairfiled is a great town. All of the schools are excellent, so no matter where you buy your children will get a good educatrion. I should note that you mention Stratford as being part of town but it is called Stratfield.

As for the areas to look at, it depends on your budget and preferences. Southport and Greenfield Hill are the nicest part of town with large pricey homes. Southport Village is a small historic village on the water and is one of the most charming places in CT but it is very pricey and the lots tend to be small. Greenfield Hill has minimum 2 acre zoning so it is more of a rural area. Stratfield is an older denser area on the east side of town. The beach area is dense too with smaller lots, but it has become expensive as well. The section along the beach itself has become like Malibu with large contemporary homes replacing the beach cottages. Jay

Old 01-05-2008, 11:07 AM

8 posts, read 23,302 times
Default best school districts

I wouldn't rule out Bolton, CT for the best school districts.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:51 PM

5 posts, read 52,281 times
Default Fairfield

Thanks for the information. I do not know where Bolton Ct is so it is probably not w/i distance to NYC? Also which section of Fairfield is closest to the metro north?

Old 01-05-2008, 01:44 PM

You would probably want to live in either the Center, Beach or Mill Plain sections to be near the Metro North station. You should know though that parking there is limited and there is a long waiting list to get spaces. The State is building a new train station on the east side of Fairfiield off Black Rock Turnpike that will have 1500 spaces. It won;t open though for a couple of years. Good luck and lt me know if you have any other questions. Jay

Old 01-05-2008, 06:36 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvnny3 View Post
Thanks for the information. I do not know where Bolton. Conn., is so it is probably not w/in distance to NYC? Also which section of Fairfield is closest to the Metro North?
No, it's not. It's approximately 109 miles from Manhattan.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:05 AM

33 posts, read 183,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You would probably want to live in either the Center, Beach or Mill Plain sections to be near the Metro North station. You should know though that parking there is limited and there is a long waiting list to get spaces. The State is building a new train station on the east side of Fairfiield off Black Rock Turnpike that will have 1500 spaces. It won;t open though for a couple of years. Good luck and lt me know if you have any other questions. Jay
Jay, I am also considering moving to fairfield. Are these areas close to metro north affordable? I currently have a budget of below 500 for a SF. Is it realistic? Also as there's no parking available at these stations what do commuters do? Walk, bike or else?

Old 01-08-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdaggers View Post
Jay, I am also considering moving to fairfield. Are these areas close to metro north affordable? I currently have a budget of below 500 for a SF. Is it realistic? Also as there's no parking available at these stations what do commuters do? Walk, bike or else?
I answered this in the thread you posted. Hope it helps. Jay

Old 03-24-2008, 11:41 AM

201 posts, read 727,346 times
Default communting from fairfield to nyc

Hi,
My DH commutes and we live in Greenfield Hills, it takes him 6-7 minutes in the morning to get to the metro north train station from our house and he goes on the 5:40am so he has no problem parking. If you go early you have no problem parking in the day parking lot. I think he pays $7/ day for day parking. Even if you don't have a parking pass there are always places to park - most people that live in town just walk to the train station. You really need to come to Fairfield and check it out ans see what people do - or your realtor can fill you in.

The hard part is that he commutes 3 1/2 hours a day in total and it is exhausting! You can call the town and ask how long the wait list is for a parking spot. We were thinking of moving to W.C. but the taxes are crazy - like you said. I'm sure if you look at realtor.com you can see the houses that are listed - Fairfield is very nice family orientated community - not too much going on but enough. If you want to live in town so you can walk around you want to move the the beach area or the town. It's the best neighborhood area and the only one that you can walk to and around town. It's really hard to find a walkable town/neighborhood in CT. Most Moms are driving all over the place for their kids. The town is very nice - we are very happy w/ Dwight Elementary School.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:57 PM

184 posts, read 842,546 times
I agree that Fairfield Center, Beach area, and Mill Plain are the most commutable and have nice sidewalks and walkability! I've lived here (center/beach) going on three years. As I go to NYC on occasion for work, I really enjoy the 12 minute walk to the Fairfield station.

Amazing deals can be found now (compared with three years ago). There's an 1800 sq ft cape in my neighborhood listed in the mid 400Ks. For that price, you can now find a selection of capes (usually 1100-1300 sq ft) in need of some tweaks in these very desirable areas. Lots are small, but it's a great area, very charming.

If you check realtor.com using zip code 06824, the search will eliminate Stratfield and much of the east side. You'll get beach, center, mill plain, university, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut