Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 01:40 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,852,171 times

Advertisements

I am 30 and like low density, laid back metro areas, with a fair degree of young people, dating scene, but not pretentious. An example would be Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 06:53 PM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am 30 and like low density, laid back metro areas, with a fair degree of young people, dating scene, but not pretentious. An example would be Charlotte.
And yet when you were down there you complained about it too. Why didn't you stay? Jay.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
And yet when you were down there you complained about it too. Why didn't you stay? Jay.
I didn't stay because I guess I had a problem with hearing southern accents every day, and the whole metro area felt like an isolated bubble surrounded by endless redneck country. Granted, 50% of the population is northeastern transplants. You can see NY and NJ license plates all the time. But while I was there, I quickly made several quality gay friends who I still keep in touch with today, two years later. My social life there was really starting to take off, because Charlotte in general has a young, social vibe. Looking back, I probably should have given it a longer chance than one month. With plenty of jobs, friends, gays, affordable housing, four seasons and direct flights to Bradley, I should have given it a chance.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:39 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,207,594 times
This will be my very last comment directed at Nep: (1) You're too rigid -- and possibly suffering from OCD or some other type of compulsive/destructive disorder; (2) You're too risk averse; (3) You're too old for your years; and (4) Someone failed miserably and horribly in snapping you out of this S -- H -- I -- TTY path that your destructive-self has led you down.
My two cents, for whatever it's worth (probably not too much, but I don't care at this point): You're still "kind of" youngish and have the benefit of time on your side to fix this mess, so that you can enjoy the rest of your life in peace, without it all being wasted. And you're far too old for this sort of behavior/crap to be acceptable. No "normal" adult carries on like you do. Build a (Spectacular!!) bridge and get over yourself...

The End.

Last edited by Lalalally; 01-07-2015 at 07:48 PM..

Old 01-07-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
This will be my very last comment directed at Nep: (1) You're too rigid -- and possibly suffering from OCD or some other type of compulsive/destructive disorder; (2) You're too risk averse; (3) You're too old for your years; and (4) Someone failed miserably and horribly in snapping you out of this S -- H -- I -- TTY path that your destructive-self has led you down.
My two cents, for whatever it's worth (probably not too much, but I don't care at this point): You're still "kind of" youngish and have the benefit of time on your side to fix this mess, so that you can enjoy the rest of your life in peace, without it all being wasted. And you're far too old for this sort of behavior/crap to be acceptable. No "normal" adult carries on like you do. Build a (Spectacular!!) bridge and get over yourself...

The End.
How am I too risk averse?

Old 01-07-2015, 08:10 PM

Example One: 18 years to save up for a down payment on a house ??????!!!! Nobody EVER has done this at your age Nep. EVER. (And I mean clear as day and in no uncertain terms EVER. Not once. It's bizarre and IMO a delay tactict. In 18 years you'll be 48, and might actually have thoughts of your retirement condo on your mind, instead of thinking about buying your first house. You will miss out on your whole life if you don't shift gears soon. I don't know you from Adam, and usually I disagree wholeheartedly with you and honestly dislike you (to my core) but I really/truly would feel bad if you don't find a way to get out of your slump soon. Saddest thing in this world is wasted life/wasted potential.
And this, for sure, will be my VERY last comment to You Lol!

PS JK about disliking you to my core -- that was a bit dramatic on my part, but you do get under my skin. Often...

Last edited by Lalalally; 01-07-2015 at 08:30 PM..

Old 01-07-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Example One: 18 years to save up for a down payment on a house ??????!!!! Nobody EVER has done this at your age Nep. EVER. (And I mean clear as day and in no uncertain terms EVER. Not once. It's bizarre and IMO a delay tactict. In 18 years you'll be 48, and might actually have thoughts of your retirement condo on your mind, instead of thinking about buying your first house. You will miss out on your whole life if you don't shift gears soon. I don't know you from Adam, and usually I disagree wholeheartedly with you and honestly dislike you (to my core) but I really/truly would feel bad if you don't find a way to get out of your slump soon. Saddest thing in this world is wasted life/wasted potential.
And this, for sure, will be my VERY last comment to You Lol!

PS JK about disliking you to my core -- that was a bit dramatic on my part, but you do get under my skin. Often...
I already announced my plan several days ago, in some other thread. I said that I am planning to move out of FFC sometime between April and September. I am literally just waiting to collect my bonus in March and then I'll have $73K in cash saved up and able to leave my apartment whenever. I've mentioned before that my choice to pursue a job in FFC was a colossal mistake (we all make mistakes in life, right?) and I will forcibly move out some time this year...as soon as 3 months from now....job secured or not. How is that for calling me "too risk averse?" So, I have a plan to shift gears, as you said. With recruiters still reaching out to me on a weekly basis these days, a master's degree with 7 years of experience, an in-demand profession, and the economy improving, I do believe that it's likely it will work out, as long as it's a place that's not too competitive for job seekers. If it doesn't work out, I can always run to mommy and daddy for money.

Thanks

Old 01-07-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I already announced my plan several days ago, in some other thread. I said that I am planning to move out of FFC sometime between April and September. I am literally just waiting to collect my bonus in March and then I'll have $73K in cash saved up and able to leave my apartment whenever. I've mentioned before that my choice to pursue a job in FFC was a colossal mistake (we all make mistakes in life, right?) and I will forcibly move out some time this year...as soon as 3 months from now....job secured or not. How is that for calling me "too risk averse?" So, I have a plan to shift gears, as you said. With recruiters still reaching out to me on a weekly basis these days, a master's degree with 7 years of experience, an in-demand profession, and the economy improving, I do believe that it's likely it will work out, as long as it's a place that's not too competitive for job seekers. If it doesn't work out, I can always run to mommy and daddy for money.

Thanks
Yes!!! And yes, we do all make mistakes. I've certainly made my share. Key is is to shake it off, get up on your feet, and start over again. I do wish you the best. And I (sincerely) wish and hope that you can stop viewing yourself as a "victim" -- as soon as you can do that, is exactly when I think you'll be able to find true happiness in your life.

If you don't let that crap go, I think it's a guarantee that you'll constantly be plagued by dark thoughts which will always be crippling, stifling, and dangerous to your well being - And that crap WILL follow you wherever you go. Be smarter than it, and just leave it behind.

Good luck to you

Last edited by Lalalally; 01-07-2015 at 09:48 PM..

Old 01-08-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:

Thanks
Nep - I just hope you plan to find a job and not do the same thing you did last time you left your job (quitting and living off the money you have saved). It would be much better to find a new job first, particularly on your resume which already has one gap in your employment history. If there are two, potential employers will question whether you would keep doing this whenever you have saved some money. Even now I wonder what they will think with you leaving your current job after such a short time (and don't listen to your recruiter, they only care about placing you and collecting a commission). Jay

Old 01-08-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I didn't stay because I guess I had a problem with hearing southern accents every day, and the whole metro area felt like an isolated bubble surrounded by endless redneck country. Granted, 50% of the population is northeastern transplants. You can see NY and NJ license plates all the time. But while I was there, I quickly made several quality gay friends who I still keep in touch with today, two years later. My social life there was really starting to take off, because Charlotte in general has a young, social vibe. Looking back, I probably should have given it a longer chance than one month. With plenty of jobs, friends, gays, affordable housing, four seasons and direct flights to Bradley, I should have given it a chance.
Welcome to the South, home of drawls and rednecks mixing with northerners. If you could not handle the southern accents and rednecks, why are you continuing to look for jobs in the south? Richmond is not a lot better you know. You might as well go back to Charlotte if you still have friends there. Only this time, give it a chance (like maybe 2 months). Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut