Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 12:36 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,625 times

Advertisements

Addendum to above post: the renting agent for the unit involved in the drug raid was the property manager. A week after that raid she rented out a unit in my building to a couple who deal drugs. The cousin of our former association president bought 4 foreclosed units; all are now rentals. That is how we got to 50 percent rentals and nothing sells now except foreclosures. Our place is a sinking ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 12:51 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I have a friend who lives in a very nice condo complex; they have a rule that you cannot sit on your front porch; if you want to sit outside it has to be in the back. A few years ago the new management removed all plantings people had put in (pansies, daffodils, tulips, etc.) and made a new rule "no pets". People had to get rid of their pets, rather than not allowing any new pets to be brought in to the complex. One woman who had to get rid of her pet reported a neighbor who had a fishbowl and the fish had to go, too.

The condo where I live had a previous association president who decided "all trees will be removed and not replaced". She hired a horrible company who cut up our beautiful pine and other trees into firewood (which he no doubt then sold) and he left huge stumps sticking up out of the ground for over 10 months. Then he removed the stumps and left deep holes all over the place. The place looks horrible now. We got her off the board, but too late. I will never buy another condo.
I find it hard to believe that a condo association can force anyone to get rid of pets that were previously allowed. I can see that they could not allow new ones to be brought in but once you have them it is kind of hard to force anyone to get rid of what many consider to be a member of the family. Are you sure it was the way you say and not that pets were not allowed to begin with and they started to enforce a rule? Also, how can they restrict people sitting on a front porch? I have heard about them removing personal plantings though and I remember you posting about the trees. This are definitely some of the problems people could face living in a condo. Jay

Old 01-09-2015, 01:08 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,625 times
Thumbs up Yes, all true

A good friend of mine has lived there since the place was built. She had a dog, which passed away and was thinking about getting another one; then the new management company took over and made it a pet-free complex. She also told me about the rule prohibiting sitting outside on the front porch. The complex is nice but lots of rules.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:36 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
You have to take a vote to do a no pet thing and have your by laws updated and grandfather existing pets. Lots of condos pass rules and assign fines that are not legally enforceable.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:50 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
A good friend of mine has lived there since the place was built. She had a dog, which passed away and was thinking about getting another one; then the new management company took over and made it a pet-free complex. She also told me about the rule prohibiting sitting outside on the front porch. The complex is nice but lots of rules.
It is not the management company that makes the rules. It is the condo association. The management company just enforces them. There must have been a rule about pets before. They just started enforcing it. As for the porches, that is a new one on me. Why have a porch if you can't use it. They may have a rule that prevents keeping furniture on the porch but your friend should be able to bring a folding chair out there and sit. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut