Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 07:02 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
I wished I had the opportunity to learn plumbing but I went into mechanics and grew up in a family of electrical contractors where I apprenticed in the summers during high school.

The knowledge I learned to this day I apply, wife needs a new dryer I wired it in straight from the panel for her cause I knew how. Had a new fridge and stove delivered today, wired up the new range cable cause I knew how.

My oldest blew the head gasket in his car, for 250 in
parts I stripped down the head, removed the intake and exhaust shafts, installed new gasket, timing belt, water pump, reinstalled the cams cause I knew how.

People look down on folks like me because even though we went to school to ours was technical and not academic, guys like me get dirty, it's not glamorous but it can pay like a mother.
I think people who are mechanically inclined just have an inherent aptitude to pick up on so many of the trades -- they just get it, and it makes total and absolute sense to them. My youngest son has that gift -- he's very crafty!
You, I am sure, would never need to call a plumber because I get the sense you'd just naturally know how to fix it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 07:09 PM

814 posts, read 911,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I think people who are mechanically inclined just have an inherent aptitude to pick up on so many of the trades -- they just get it, and it makes total and absolute sense to them. My youngest son has that gift -- he's very crafty!
You, I am sure, would never need to call a plumber because I get the sense you'd just naturally know how to fix it
I'm not sure on that, I'm more trained in automotive and electrical then plumbing and pipe fitting. I'm skilled enough to know what I can do and when it's time to call a pro, lol.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:15 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
All I can say to this (ignorant) statement is...if it's so easy to be a millionaire, why don't you do it.

The gas stations owners I see are there at 5am and are working there butt off, never sitting.

No use in even trying.
Because I don't have half a million dollars sitting around to buy a gas station that's netting 250k/year. You need money to make money. It's called market entry. It's how the wealthy keep the money for a small percentage. Otherwise everyone would do it.
Hartford County, CT Gas Stations For Sale - BizBuySell.com

LOL....go look to buy a busy gas station on the berlin turnpike for example and ask them for their net income. A owner that is forced to work at his gas station has a non profitable gas station. You can make millions if you own a busy one. Multiple stations are usually owned by one person, who then hires someone to manage them. They don't work there. The cheaper less profitable ones tend to have owner/operators(usually indians)

Here's some liquor stores: Look at the cash flow of some of these stores
Fairfield County, CT Liquor Stores For Sale - BizBuySell.com

2million sales :400k Net/year liquor store
9,300sqft WINE & LIQUOR SUPERSTORE DANBURY CT: Business For Sale in Danbury, Fairfield County, Connecticut, United States on BizBuySell.com

Do your research. Look what your average mcdonalds franchise does in sales/net income. Look at the money made in the construction business
http://www.bizbuysell.com/new-york/h...BpZD0xJnc9cQ==

Old 01-08-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure on that, I'm more trained in automotive and electrical then plumbing and pipe fitting. I'm skilled enough to know what I can do and when it's time to call a pro, lol.
Hey, if you know how to solder - which I AM SURE you do - half the battles are already behind you JK! Agree that installing boilers, and that sort of thing you wouldn't know how to do, but I do get the sense you won't ever be faced with an "emergency" that you can't at least temporarily fix on your own! lol

Old 01-08-2015, 07:26 PM

While we're on the topic of plumbing, PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT TO EVERYONE: If your kitchen sink is located on an exterior wall, like most of ours are, please open your kitchen sink base cabinet doors now & leave them open all night -- let some of the heat from your kitchen hit those pipes under your sink. Same goes for any bathroom sink fixtures which might be located on an exterior wall (usually they're not, but sometimes maybe?) Stay warm everyone!

Old 01-08-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Hey, if you know how to solder - which I AM SURE you do - half the battles are already behind you JK! Agree that installing boilers, and that sort of thing you wouldn't know how to do, but I do get the sense you won't ever be faced with an "emergency" that you can't at least temporarily fix on your own! lol
Oh yeah we learned pipe brazing in hvac school plus in automotive I've done some light welding tacking up exhaust and stuff, also acetylene torch works well on rusted up suspension and steering parts, the liquid wrench, just be careful not to catch anything on fire lol

Old 01-08-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Because I don't have half a million dollars sitting around to buy a gas station that's netting 250k/year. You need money to make money. It's called market entry. It's how the wealthy keep the money for a small percentage. Otherwise everyone would do it.
Hartford County, CT Gas Stations For Sale - BizBuySell.com

LOL....go look to buy a busy gas station on the berlin turnpike for example and ask them for their net income. A owner that is forced to work at his gas station has a non profitable gas station. You can make millions if you own a busy one. Multiple stations are usually owned by one person, who then hires someone to manage them. They don't work there. The cheaper less profitable ones tend to have owner/operators(usually indians)

Here's some liquor stores: Look at the cash flow of some of these stores
Fairfield County, CT Liquor Stores For Sale - BizBuySell.com

2million sales :400k Net/year liquor store
9,300sqft WINE & LIQUOR SUPERSTORE DANBURY CT: Business For Sale in Danbury, Fairfield County, Connecticut, United States on BizBuySell.com

Do your research. Look what your average mcdonalds franchise does in sales/net income. Look at the money made in the construction business
New York Heavy Construction Businesses For Sale - BizBuySell.com
You don't need millions of dollars to start an automotive business. I'm a ASE certified technician and licensed vehicle inspector and I did a mobile repair business out of a Chevy van I bought for 5,000 bucks and I would go to people's houses and do their brakes and stuff and make like 105 dollars for 3O minutes worth of work.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:41 PM

With a technical skill you can always make money.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:08 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
Quote:
You don't need millions of dollars to start an automotive business. I'm a ASE certified technician and licensed vehicle inspector and I did a mobile repair business out of a Chevy van I bought for 5,000 bucks and I would go to people's houses and do their brakes and stuff and make like 105 dollars for 3O minutes worth of work.
That actually sounds like a really good business idea! Oh yeah. For sure. You'll always make more money working for yourself. Owners(job creators...lmao) will pay the employee as little as possible unless forced to pay more by the government.

Profit margins are through the roof in auto repair and look at how people still get RIPPED OFF all the time by unscrupulous mechanics.(NOT saying you're like that, but they're all over the place) Just shows you how greedy many people are. And those same people ripping you off I GUARANTEE vote republican and complain about "takers/food stamps" all while taking people to the cleaners all the time and stiffing the government in taxes as well by not reporting all income. People who just work jobs don't understand this. Their taxes come right out of their check.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:20 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
That actually sounds like a really good business idea! Oh yeah. For sure. You'll always make more money working for yourself. Owners(job creators...lmao) will pay the employee as little as possible unless forced to pay more by the government.
Owners pay what the market demands for the skill sets required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut