Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:11 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I'll take the "rude" CT Yankees over the "friendly" southerners every day.
Not a surprise. (And the quotes aren't necessary.)

Old 02-23-2009, 10:14 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
People don't just end up in New Canaan - they either know where they're going or know someone in town who can direct them.
If you are not rich or connected, don't go to New Canaan.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:27 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY View Post
I did however see a teenager, yes a teenager, in a Ferrari in NC once. I was shocked.
That kid must have been doing a Ferris Bueller. Daddy doesn't let the wife touch the prancing horse, let alone the kids.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:25 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
If you are not rich or connected, don't go to New Canaan.
Any person familiar with New Canaan knows that, for the most part, no major roads or highways pass through (except for the part of the Merritt that straddles the line of NC and Darien). The town is an enclave set away from a lot of things. That's why I said anyone who is in New Canaan has a reason to be there - they don't just pass through and look for grocery stores. I'm sorry, but reading comprehension must be an issue for you. I'm scared for your college students.

Here's an idea: try having a better outlook on life. You might be happier.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:41 PM

287 posts, read 623,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY View Post
It's funny how you talk about Range Rovers/Mercedes in NC, I mean yes they are def more common there, but It seems I see the same amount in towns all over Fairfield County even the ones that don't nearly have the amount of wealth that NC has. I did however see a teenager, yes a teenager, in a Ferrari in NC once. I was shocked.
It seems that sometimes you see more in the upper FFC towns. I must say, however, that I find the wealthier neighborhoods of Fairfield County to be much more modest. I would hardly compare Fairfield to Newtown. You don't see McMansions filled with snobs in Greenfield Hill.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:51 PM

428 posts, read 831,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabagool View Post
Well
I live in one of these "snooty" towns. I'm NOT a have not. I may not be a filthy rich person, put I can buy what I want for the most part.

Now, "snooty towns" (and I've lived in 4, not all but enough, I think) all have a few things in common.

(Please, there are ALWAYS a FEW exceptions, I give you that, OK?)

1. If your asleep at a light, in a snooty town, and the light turns green....don't worry, no one will beep.....at least not for the first 10 seconds. Less affluent towns...give it about TWO seconds.

2. School are ALWAYS great, and the townfolk NEVER complain about tax hikes going toward education.......even if its for FUR cover laptops. Its good, but nauseating at the same time.

3. I lost TWO siblings in an accident. I NEVER EVER recieved kinder, more giving attention than I did from "snooty" town people. I will ALWAYS APPRECIATE IT. You see, I think these people could EMPATHIZE with losing loved ones.

4. CONTRARY to the above story, I NEVER EVER got such a cold shoulder as I did by the SAME people when I lost my business. As SOON, and I mean AS SOON as I told them I lost my income and had to "downsize" (downsizing is the little "in" word these people use to admitting you are no longer a high earning "beautiful" person. The thought of having no money is UNAMAGINABLE OR HORRIFYING to them.) They ran like I put a M80 in their butts. I was really bumming and then I realized, to these people, living without MONEY is unTHINKABLE. Your relatives can die, it really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with you......but loosing you MONEY? How plebian. And this happened ACROSS the board with my higher earning "friends". As the pay scale went down, the reaction was less crazed.

Rich towns have ALOT of nice things. BUt the NICE things are those that effect your life NOT on a close personal level. Friendships, kinships, are basically based on WHO you are, not WHAT you are.

Money rules these towns, and it shouldn't surprise anyone. You send you son to Bobby Knight to play ball, are you gonna cry when he slaps your kid silly for dropping the ball?? Of course not. ANd in these towns, don't get bummed out if they folks there STRESS MONEY in every SINGLE aspect of their lives. You CAN'T go to school, excel in it, get a high end job, put in mega hours to earn that money and then NOT see the world through the color GREEN. I understand this....I just don't like it.

Hope I explained myself enough.
Looks like someone read Bobo's in Paradise.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:59 PM

428 posts, read 831,401 times
Snooty? I'm not sure what that even means. But I imagine New Cananan has more than its fair share of them, just as every places of means does. I suspect this thread is somewhat of a ruse, no one contemplating moving there would not know and understand this.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:59 PM

3 posts, read 14,336 times
I don't understand why some people seem so concerned about towns or cities being diverse. Statistics show that more diversity means more crime, why would anyone want that?
I'm a white hispanic and when I looked where to buy my home I made sure the local population was almost entirely white, but not because I have anything against any other race.
(Basically less white people = more overall crime -- not a racial statement, a statistical fact)
Quote:
We have two adopted daughters that are Asian. Will they fit in. How are the schools.
No offense intended, but I hope you're asian. If not, I've always wondered why someone would want to have children who don't look like them. I've heard of so many adopted children who always carry a frustrating disparity between themselves, their parents and their own race vs their race's culture. They feel white because their parents are white and have grown up in a white environment, but they aren't and thus feel isolated because they aren't what they would like to be.

I find that it is an ego thing for most people who choose to adopt instead of having their own children (I'm pretty sure only white people adopt other races of kids, I've never seen it the other way around). Basically to me it screams "look at me I'm so kind, good, progressive and trendy because I'm willing to extinct my own race and reach out to the other less fortunate children of the world". If the best interest of the children were in mind, then it would seem that the parents would not want to cause any unnecessary identity crisis by getting kids that look somewhat like themselves. I guess this is an off topic query, but I've never had the chance to actually ask anyone why they choose to do it.

Last edited by chadwick_s; 06-25-2009 at 05:11 PM..

Old 06-25-2009, 10:21 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadwick_s View Post
Basically to me it screams "look at me I'm so kind, good, progressive and trendy because I'm willing to extinct my own race and reach out to the other less fortunate children of the world".
Sorry to continue the thread hijack, but what a disgusting and racist comment this is. Have you ever thought about women who can't have children? Or many other possible circumstances? Of course not, with such a narrow mind and all...

Old 06-26-2009, 09:40 AM

3 posts, read 14,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Sorry to continue the thread hijack, but what a disgusting and racist comment this is. Have you ever thought about women who can't have children? Or many other possible circumstances? Of course not, with such a narrow mind and all...
I should have made myself more clear. First choice would be to have your own and then possibly adopt. But my point was, if you're going to adopt have enough consideration and respect for the children's identity and your own race to adopt a child that somewhat resembles. White people in general are the only ones who have no pride whatsoever in their own race for fear they will be called "racist"--hence why they are voluntarily self-extincting themselves in the world.

And, btw, I'm very open-minded and I'm gay.

Last edited by chadwick_s; 06-26-2009 at 09:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut