Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 07:28 AM

80 posts, read 496,737 times

Advertisements

We have two adopted daughters that are Asian. Will they fit in. How are the schools.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:49 PM

43 posts, read 276,188 times
Fairfield County in general is very diverse. Darien probably a little less than the others though.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:59 PM

3,481 posts, read 9,378,314 times
Darien is seriously lacking in diversity. I lived near there for a good amount of time and have a friend who grew up there. He is brown skinned, and the only non-white person in the high school during his years there. In all honesty, many of the towns in lower Fairfield County are extremely white (Greenwich, Darien, Westport, New Canaan, Redding, Easton, etc...).

Old 12-05-2006, 03:45 PM

144 posts, read 933,438 times
Darien is as white as rice. I don't have anything against black people, but I don't see why it is so imperative for some people to live in a "diverse" area.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:08 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,461,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENZBOY15 View Post
Darien is as white as rice. I don't have anything against black people, but I don't see why it is so imperative for some people to live in a "diverse" area.
Birds of same feather flock together. There are many stereotyping if you do not experience another race.

One interesting thing looking at my kids. Somehow they think if you do not speak eng-a-lish well, you are dumb. I always tell my kids there are more people speaking Chinese and Spanish than the number of people in the US. Have an open mind is important. They should try taking exams in Chinese or Spanish and see if they are as smart. I think there are probably more English speaking Chinese in China than the number of people in US.

Another example. If the computer makers had more females on their design team, they would have noticed that women want smaller form factor and lower power PCs/laptops. They could have sold many more computers years ago. They could have double their market. WE always think we are the center of world. Other opinions do not count.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 9,357 times
Default 30 min by train????

Elaina 121 please tell me what train your taking!!! Mine takes about an hour and 10 min.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:19 PM

58 posts, read 171,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49flyers View Post
Elaina 121 please tell me what train your taking!!! Mine takes about an hour and 10 min.
Well, i think was 30 min.Maybe you know better.But we took several times the train of 8 O clock .It was s.m.th. like express because the last stop was in Stamford and then , the train goes right to the Manhattan.If am wrong,im sorry.I loved New Canaan ,but i think i cant live there because the houses are fantastic but , as i said before , the cheaper is more than 1 milion .

Old 12-13-2006, 08:47 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,385,852 times
Yeah I've heard great things about Fairfield County. I'm planning to make a move from the northern suburbs of Chicago probably to Stamford at some point early next summer. Basically Stamford is my top choice for a suburban location outside of NYC. I'd rather not live in the city at this point for a few reasons. But in any case that express train service to NYC seems like a stellar transportation option (40 minutes to NYC? The commute to NYC probably takes longer from some of the 5 borough's in the city itself), and since I'm a finance / marketing double major, the area also presents many job opportunities, especially in finance. UBS has a huge trading floor right in Stamford, and there are numerous hedge funds based in Stamford and Greenwich. And then of course again there is the easy access to Manhattan via the train if I end up working in the city. Yet I can have access to relative peace & quiet and the beautiful Long Island Sound when I need respite from the noise & congestion of New York. Anyone have any feedback on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENZBOY15 View Post
My grandma lives in Darien which is a great place. Everyone's rich, but who cares. That doesn't make them evil, although the have-nots on this board will tr to make it seem that way, they fail because I see their jealosy. And who can blame them? If you have the money, you can't go wrong with Darien or Greenwich.

I've found the people there to be really friendly, a lot more friendly than here in Southern California. It's also very beautiful with the trees and the sound. One top of that, you're close to NYC.

IMO, that area really can't be topped.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:41 PM

3,481 posts, read 9,378,314 times
just cruising, Stamford is a nice city and I find it very safe compared to other cities of the same size across the US. The downtown is bustling with many restaurants, bars, theaters, etc. and you already know about the easy commute into Grand Central. Just make sure you hop the Metro North express train that goes straight into the city, not the sloooow local train that stops in a million places in New York before reaching the city. I lived in Stamford for a while and it was great. The downfall is the cost of housing whether purchasing or renting. It is steep.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:14 AM

43 posts, read 276,188 times
Stamford is the best deal for your money with a commute of 45 mins. into Grand Central. Has something for everyone. Water communities, very private woodsy 1 acre+ propertites, neighborhoods, theaters, restaurants, transportation, business community, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut