Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 08:47 PM

6 posts, read 9,657 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, we're really interested in Glastonbury- we drove around a bit today to get an idea of what the area is like. Can anyone tell me if there are areas to be avoided when buying? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 05:24 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickney723 View Post
Hi everyone, we're really interested in Glastonbury- we drove around a bit today to get an idea of what the area is like. Can anyone tell me if there are areas to be avoided when buying? Thanks in advance.
Glastonbury is a very nice town overall and there are not any areas to avoid that I know about. The area around the intersection of Main & Hebron has some traffic at lunchtime, and during rush hours, if that is something you dislike.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:39 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
There really are no bad parts of Glastonbury, just some that are less desirable than others. We live in the north end in the Naubuc School area which is considered less desirable than other parts of town. To be honest I find this to be a better area. My kids went to Naubuc school which is the lowest performing school in town but it is still WAY above state average on the Connecticut Mastery Tests. This part of Glastonbury has the highest percent of homes where English is the second language as well as the most economically and racially diverse of the schools. To me this is an advantage because our children were exposed to students who lived in much smaller homes, had less and were from interesting families. My kids have friends that are African-American, South American, Eastern European, Asian and Middle eastern. To be honest I now have to think about what their friends background is because I don't even notice it any more. They are just kids. Also being a school with more disadvantaged kids the town has provided the school with more services than the other schools. My kids had 20 minutes of individual reading twice a week, not because they needed it but because this is what the school provided to all students to improve everyone.

My point is you really do not have to worry too much about where in Glastonbury you live. Find a home that you like and suits your needs in your price range. IF you have some neighborhoods you are particularly interested in, I can help you identify if there are any issues there. Jay

Old 01-18-2015, 12:12 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,436 times
I like the points that Jay mentioned. Glastonbury can be a bit of a bubble. If you can offer your kids diversity, it will serve them very well moving on through later in life. You need to learn how to work with different people from different backgrounds and cultures with different points of view and be respectful of all of that. To me this is more important than scoring a few points higher on a mastery test. That part you can help your kids with by helping them stay on top of homework and such after school. I say all of this as a GHS alumn and working down in Stamford, CT which is a much more diverse area. I run into many employers who are about "cultural fit" more than your GPA.

With all that said, I lived in South Glastonbury and still visit. Nothing undesirable about any of the area expect whatever your personal preferences are. It's a more rural area with orchards so a bit more quiet. Otherwise nothing to worry about.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:44 PM

6 posts, read 9,657 times
Thank you all so much for your responses. And great points too. Sounds like any part of Glastonbury would work. We would be looking for a single family home on at least an acre- preferably a neighborhood. Price range 400-600k If you have any great neighborhoods to recommend that would be great! Thanks again for all your help.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:21 PM

625 posts, read 2,050,124 times
More than an acre, in a neighborhood, in that price range may be a little difficult. You'd probably be somewhere in the range of .5 to 1 acres. Possible neighborhoods could be Great Pond in South Glastonbury, Minnechaug by the Minnechaug golf course, Chase Hollow off Hebron Ave, UConn/Trinity/Wesleyan off of Great Swamp to name a few.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:45 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Amy has given the OP some very good suggestions. There are also some small pocket areas too. Jay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut