Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 09:15 AM

6 posts, read 7,191 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job offer in Enfield. Please point me in some towns that would suit me.

Looking to rent first in a town we could buy in in the future so the children have less change. We are a family of 6... possibly plus

3000 sq feet or more in space including basement
school district of greatschools.net rating of 8 or better in all schools in that district k-12
Home costing under/way under $400K (hoping not to do a house poor thing again)
Area that is very highway accessible b/c his job is in sales and he will be all over

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 01:58 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Congratulations on your job offer.

greatschools.org is not everything when it comes to school quality. I've seen outstanding schools with high test scores and a lot of extra activities rated lower, while so-so schools rated a 9 or 10.

I'd look at South Windsor or Granby when you want to buy. Very good schools in both towns, and pretty close to Enfield, while also giving your husband easy access to Bradley Airport if he needs to travel by air, as well as to Hartford. Home rentals are not as common in the Northeast as they are in other parts of the country, but you may be able to find a few in each town. Suffield could be a good option as well - right across the highway from Enfield, good schools and also easy to BDL, Hartford and Springfield.

Simsbury has outstanding schools, but might not be realistic if you're hoping to get a 3000 square foot home for $400,000

Old 01-18-2015, 02:08 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,277,311 times
How about Enfield?

Old 01-18-2015, 04:15 PM

6 posts, read 7,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
How about Enfield?
I was told to avoid enfield. Or was it only a section of enfield maybe...

Old 01-18-2015, 04:20 PM

1,241 posts, read 902,557 times
I would also suggest looking across the border in Massachusetts at Longmeadow and Wilbraham. Both are close to Enfield, have great schools and good highway access. Based on what I'm guessing his salary would be, given your mortgage range, you will also likely pay slightly less in state income taxes. Things like groceries, gasoline, etc tend to be less expensive in Western Massachusetts as well.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:52 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
I would also suggest looking across the border in Massachusetts at Longmeadow and Wilbraham. Both are close to Enfield, have great schools and good highway access. Based on what I'm guessing his salary would be, given your mortgage range, you will also likely pay slightly less in state income taxes. Things like groceries, gasoline, etc tend to be less expensive in Western Massachusetts as well.
+1.

Look into Western Mass.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:57 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Quote:
Longmeadow can get pretty pricey the last time I checked. Wilbraham might be a good option, though.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:43 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
The only problem I see with going into Massachusetts is that they will have to deal with the income taxes. Living in one state while working in another means you will have to file taxes in both states. This may not be the case if your husband is going to work for a company based in Massachusetts like Mass Mutual. They will just assign him to their Massachusetts office but have him work out of Enfield. A lot of people do this so it may not be an issue but I do not see the need to do this in the OP's case unless there are no other options.

That said, Longmeadow, MA is a beautiful town with excellent schools but it is pricey. I am not sure what you will get there for your budget. I don't really consider Wilbraham to be that convenient to major highways which the OP asked for. I think Suffield is closer, prettier and has arguably better schools.

As NewJeffCT mentioned South Windsor would be a good option for convenience to highways and shopping. I am not sure you will get 3,000 square feet unless you include the basement which homes here usually do not include. Jay

Old 01-19-2015, 12:45 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
They will not pay less taxes if the OP's husband works in Connecticut. They will pay the same but have to file two tax returns, one in each state. Jay

Old 01-19-2015, 04:33 PM

1,241 posts, read 902,557 times
Jay is absolutely correct! Apologies for the incorrect thinking... I really should not post while watching football and enjoying cold adult beverages!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
They will not pay less taxes if the OP's husband works in Connecticut. They will pay the same but have to file two tax returns, one in each state. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut