Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 02:35 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times

Advertisements

I have a Honda PCX150 2013

It has a displacement of 153cc and a top speed of 66mph and can maintain 63mph all day long. I'm fairly certain it is highway legal in every state. But just to make sure, I want to know if any of you are informed on the subject.

I don't mind taking the backroads if I have to, but I prefer the highway.

edit: Oh and yes, I have a Motorcycle endorsement.

Last edited by wolf39us; 01-19-2015 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 03:08 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
I didn't read the whole thing it looks like your scooter might actually be legal on the interstate, but on Rte 15 in the highway portions, the signs state clearly that scooters are not permitted. If your scooter is considered a scooter and not a motorcycle, you wouldn't be able to drive it on there, simply by virtue of the fact that it's a scooter.

Second - why would you WANT to drive your scooter on a highway? I-95 would be basically asking for death. I-91 not so bad, except near New Haven and Hartford. Considering that most people go WELL beyond the speed limit, you'd be the slow-poke and you're likely to just **** everyone off, and encourage road rage in others - which is something we really don't need more of.

Not to mention that pissed off drivers trying to go 90 in a 65-mph zone, are not going to take kindly to some fancy-looking scooter driving 63 in the lane they're trying to pass on. You'd have to stay in the right lane at all times, endure on-and-off ramp traffic at every exit, you wouldn't be allowed to ride to the side of a car in the same lane to pass it - so if traffic is going slow (like with an accident) and you are caught weaving between cars to get past it or on the shoulder, you'd get a ticket. Plus you'd **** everyone else off.

I wouldn't want to be that guy. I recommend you choose not to be as well.

Last edited by AnonChick; 01-19-2015 at 03:25 PM..

Old 01-19-2015, 03:16 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,095 times
In CT it seems like if the motor is 50cc or greater it can be operated on the highway. It also needs to have brakes, lights, horn, mirror. I would be more concerned with the drivers around here on a highway than whether or not its legal to drive on the highway. At 63 mph max speed you are going to annoy a lot of people even if you stay in the right lane.

The scooter has to be registered as a motorcycle. You will also need to have a title, insurance, and motorcycle endorsement.

Since you are coming from out of state you will also need to have the "VIN verified" at a DMV before registering it. You can drive the scooter to the DMV with your out of state plates though. If you let the registration lapse from the other state you will have to get a "temporary registration and plate" in order to drive it to the DMV. Alternatively, you could also transport the scooter in a van or pickup truck if you don't have a current registration.

I bought a motorcycle out of state before and have gone thru the process.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
In CT it seems like if the motor is 50cc or greater it can be operated on the highway. It also needs to have brakes, lights, horn, mirror. I would be more concerned with the drivers around here on a highway than whether or not its legal to drive on the highway. At 63 mph max speed you are going to annoy a lot of people even if you stay in the right lane.

The scooter has to be registered as a motorcycle. You will also need to have a title, insurance, and motorcycle endorsement.

Since you are coming from out of state you will also need to have the "VIN verified" at a DMV before registering it. You can drive the scooter to the DMV with your out of state plates though. If you let the registration lapse from the other state you will have to get a "temporary registration and plate" in order to drive it to the DMV. Alternatively, you could also transport the scooter in a van or pickup truck if you don't have a current registration.

I bought a motorcycle out of state before and have gone thru the process.
Most of the highways in CT are 55mph zones. If I'm riding between 63-65 mph I would think that the right lane should be fine.

I ride the highways here all of the time and our speed limits are 65-70mph. Just sticking to the right lane!

Jerk offs who drive above 10mph over the speed limit are exactly that and are typically riding the left lane anyway in my experience. I never could stand the idiots who drive 80mph in a 55 zone.

That being said, depending on the level of danger (which I will gauge over time) I will probably just ride main routes to get around since there isn't a single place in CT that I can't access via back roads.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:00 AM

487 posts, read 536,613 times
I do occasional see them on the highway, mainly I-91. I'm an avid rider and would not feel entirely comfortable riding a scooter on the highway unless it was for a very short distance.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:48 AM

I'm going to almost exclusively be on route 8.

Shouldn't be too bad hopefully

Old 01-20-2015, 07:53 AM

487 posts, read 536,613 times
I commute rt 8 daily. You'll be fine during peak rush hour and the normal congested areas. 60mph will be a bit slow but there are plenty of vehicles in the right lane traveling 55-60mph.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davwve View Post
I commute rt 8 daily. You'll be fine during peak rush hour and the normal congested areas. 60mph will be a bit slow but there are plenty of vehicles in the right lane traveling 55-60mph.
Yeah I'm a Seymour native so based on what I remember I don't think it would be that bad. I'm not crazy enough to hop on I-95. I-84 maybe... but 91 and 95 NOPE!

There are plenty of routes that have decent driving speeds that I can take as an alternative to 91 and 95 so no biggie.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:31 PM

Score!! I just got professional shippers on our two scooters. I put up a shipping auction and put both bikes in the description.

Got both bikes shipped from FL to CT for $370. The carrier has 5 star reviews across the board from uship.com. I feel better about doing a pro shipper rather than trying to tie up the bikes in the POD container.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,272 times
In CT anything over 49cc is considered a motorcycle so you'd need to register and insure it as one and have a motorcycle endorsement.
Also those are speed limits on highways NOT speed MINIMUMS. The minimum speed on most (if not all) CT highways is 40 mph. Not to say that you won't put yourself at danger by going that speed or by being on the highway on a 49+cc scooter (or even a car), but that is the state minimum on (most, if not all) CT highways. People confuse speed limit as the speed you have to at least be going, but that is the fastest you're allowed by law to travel. Be safe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut