Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,201 times

Advertisements

Graduated recently and found a job in downtown Hartford, so I am looking at apartments. Not familiar with the Hartford area. The general consensus seems to be is to avoid Hartford because it is surrounded by ghetto. I would like to live close by, like within 5 miles. I read that the West End area is pretty safe area, but it depends where. An apartment I was looking at is located on 891 West Boulevard. Is that a good/safe area? Thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 07:54 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,715,102 times
Look in west hartford.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:38 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,276,215 times
The West End of Hartford isn't that bad. It's actually quite a nice area. The one good thing about the location that you just mentioned is really close to 84, which can be quite handy when commuting. The only parts of Hartford id avoid is the North End and maybe the South End. The North End is worse than the South End. There are many places in downtown that are nice. Downtown Hartford is pretty safe and there are many nice restaurants, bars, and museums. I'm not sure what your budget is but if your working in downtown then you can find a great apartment/condo in many of the downtowns new apartments. The ones on Front Street, Hartford 21, and the old Bank of America buildings are good choices but they range from $800-$2000 a month.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:22 AM

34,636 posts, read 56,391,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codylhe View Post
Graduated recently and found a job in downtown Hartford, so I am looking at apartments. Not familiar with the Hartford area. The general consensus seems to be is to avoid Hartford because it is surrounded by ghetto. I would like to live close by, like within 5 miles. I read that the West End area is pretty safe area, but it depends where. An apartment I was looking at is located on 891 West Boulevard. Is that a good/safe area? Thanks for any information.
I don't think the consensus is to avoid Hartford. I think that is the consensus of people who don't know the city and have an aversion to urban areas. Like most cities, Hartford has its good areas and its bad. It is a small city in area and really covers the urban core of a large metropolitan area. Because it is so small and its suburbs are independent, Hartford often gets a bad rap when compared to larger cities throughout the country. That said there are many nice areas you could live. The West End is very nice as is downtown and most of the South End. West Hartford is nice, as are Newington and Wethersfield. These would fall into the 5 mile limit you indicate. IF you are willing to commute a bit further, towns like Manchester and Middletown are very popular with young people looking for rentals. Good luck and welcome to Connecticut. Jay

Old 01-20-2015, 08:30 AM

70 posts, read 105,165 times
I lived a few blocks from there and still am close by. Best thing going for the area is easy access to the highway and proximity to downtown for work. You must factor in car tax if you move to Hartford, it is extremely expensive. Don't make the mistake of doing your living expenses without that in there. You can move to the other side of prospect and pay so much less in tax.

One more thing, I don't know your personality or style but for the young group it tends to be artsy and what some would call hipsters or hippie like crowd. It is also very diverse in that area. If your a guy, don't expect to get any props from girls when dating for picking that area. I always get "is it safe here or oh I guess it's ok here for a guy." Lots of rats in hartford so be prepared if your place has a large dumpster outside.

There are a lot of stores and that spot is easy to get to the west hartford center and even west farms mall.

Anymore questions just ask. I personally wouldn't live in any other part of hartford. You can also check out over by Uconn law which is also closer to Elizabeth park. I do have friends who live downtown in the Bushnell but pay a lot more for what I don't know.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:11 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,206,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj06117 View Post
I lived a few blocks from there and still am close by. Best thing going for the area is easy access to the highway and proximity to downtown for work. You must factor in car tax if you move to Hartford, it is extremely expensive. Don't make the mistake of doing your living expenses without that in there. You can move to the other side of prospect and pay so much less in tax.
West Hartford is no tax bargain. Comparable on car taxes, maybe even a little higher on real property taxes than Hartford (because Hartford city uses a discounting factor against real property market price before doing the mill-rate calculation).

Old 01-20-2015, 04:13 PM

70 posts, read 105,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
West Hartford is no tax bargain. Comparable on car taxes, maybe even a little higher on real property taxes than Hartford (because Hartford city uses a discounting factor against real property market price before doing the mill-rate calculation).
Never said it was a tax bargain. Just for what Hartford offers sometimes you might as well just live in a nicer area a little farther out. My car insurance costs also went up when I moved a few blocks into Hartford. There is a site which shows the average car insurance rates for CT(not sure if we can post that here)... I am real cheap and if I thought being in my old place was worth it, I would still be there. It wasn't. You can only take living there for so long before it starts to wear on you.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:37 PM

12 posts, read 15,022 times
I've lived in the neighborhood for ~10 years.

I'd check out Clemens Place before moving to Boulevard West (the complex you are considering). It's just up the road, but a nicer place to live. At Boulevard West, you have constant traffic heading to and from 84, more bums hanging around, and a higher likelihood of having your car broken into or stolen. Clemens place has nice laundry rooms, a decent gym, security guards (mostly useless, but helpful at times), gated parking, tennis courts, good maintenance crew, etc. I wouldn't stay forever, but it's not a bad place to live for a couple years after school.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,511 times
I'm in a similar situation, and I found two apartments within budget in the area, one in Hartford, at Broad and Jefferson, the other in West Hartford, at South Main and Thompson. Are these areas relatively safe, or should I look elsewhere?

Old 01-23-2015, 08:36 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,457,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mootoall500 View Post
I'm in a similar situation, and I found two apartments within budget in the area, one in Hartford, at Broad and Jefferson, the other in West Hartford, at South Main and Thompson. Are these areas relatively safe, or should I look elsewhere?
Broad & Jefferson = No, nasty area
South Main and Thompson = YES, close to everything and walking distance to WHC and BBS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut