Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 03:24 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I know someone that was up in New Hampshire skiing in the woods off trail in what little snow is left up there. Not sure where but they do this every year. Jay
Tuckerman's Ravine has snow until June usually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 03:48 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I know someone that was up in New Hampshire skiing in the woods off trail in what little snow is left up there. Not sure where but they (TRY TO) do this every year. Jay
I think you forgot 2 words in there so I added them. LOL. I'm pretty sure nobody was skiing in May in 2011-12 and few other recent years when it barely snowed or was cold enough for the fake stuff to last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Tuckerman's Ravine has snow until June usually.
Probably patches in June and maybe some decent snow in May but on the "good" years and right Spring weather patterns.

Here's a shot May 11 last year .. Not much on the mountains. It's tough for even the New England mountains to hold snow in May. It was 60° at 4000 feet today up to Canada and more of these days coming. So any skiing this year is coming to an end very soon.

https://twitter.com/Philbe_94/status/465588604454969344

Old 05-04-2015, 03:50 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
And Here's April 5, 2014. April for sure some decent Skiing and Snow pack in the mountains but again... All depends on the season/year

https://twitter.com/AppMtnClub/statu...82757651640320

Old 05-04-2015, 08:06 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,944 times
If you live in CT go to Berkshire East in MA or somewhere in southern VT or NH

CT skiing isn't fun unless you are a complete novice

Old 05-05-2015, 06:54 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,908 times
For most of my childhood it was Stratton up in VT. Then it got bought up by a western resort company and has evolved into a playground for the rich. These days I prefer Bromley which isn't too far from Stratton.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
For most of my childhood it was Stratton up in VT. Then it got bought up by a western resort company and has evolved into a playground for the rich. These days I prefer Bromley which isn't too far from Stratton.
Stowe is like that too, but Stowe is far better than Stratton. Arguably the best all round resort in the east. But very rich.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:30 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times
Quote:
Stowe is like that too, but Stowe is far better than Stratton. Arguably the best all round resort in the east. But very rich.
Yeah, Stowe is nice, would be nicer if it didn't take about 400 years to get there.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:55 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Yeah, Stowe is nice, would be nicer if it didn't take about 400 years to get there.
+1 Might as well fly out west for a much better experience than stowe once you factor in the driving time/cost of getting to and staying at stowe. It's clearly not a day trip if you live in CT.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
It's good for an overnight trip. I got a hotel by the highway that was really nice, $95 a night. Took a little over 3.5 hours to get to the hotel, and then 40 minutes to Stowe. It really wasn't that bad actually. The difference between that and southern VT in both terrain and abundance of snow was worth it.

Going out west is something I'd like to do next year, but I'll also make multiple trips to northern VT. At the end of the day, between driving to the airport, paying for parking, waiting for security, waiting for the plane, getting a rental or shuttle, paying a premium for a hotel, and inflated lift tickets - it's WAY more time and money consuming than northern VT.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:25 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,109 times
Quote:

Going out west is something I'd like to do next year, but I'll also make multiple trips to northern VT. At the end of the day, between driving to the airport, paying for parking, waiting for security, waiting for the plane, getting a rental or shuttle, paying a premium for a hotel, and inflated lift tickets - it's WAY more time and money consuming than northern VT.
But the reward is much greater if you ski powder How often do you get waist to chest deep pow on the open trails at Stowe? Never mind that. How about 1 foot or even knee deep untracked? That's routine at many places out west especially at resorts that aren't near any cities like wolf creek or grand targhee. And as long as you stay for 2 weeks you should score unless you're super unlucky.

Flying isn't easy, but when you factor in the amount of driving, the crowds at stowe, the fact that you have to pay for lodging since it's so far, the gas cost, the outrageous price for lift tickets at stowe, the lack of powder conditions compared to western resorts, then it becomes a different equation. You can't really compare driving 1 1/2 to 2 hours to mt snow vs having to get on a plane. But when it becomes 4 hours or more if there's snow or traffic down here in CT AND requires an overnight stay then it becomes a different thing.

Stowe is a mountain for the east coast, but it's a hill for the west. Most of stowe has to be covered with man made snow. The amount of terrain can't be compared. The acreage and lack of crowds are way better than stowe could ever dream of in many western areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut