Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2015, 07:37 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times

Advertisements

911 AM EST TUE JAN 27 2015 ...BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WILL CONTINUE TODAY MAINLY ACROSS EASTERN CONNECTICUT AND LONG ISLAND... CTZ005-009-272215- /O.EXT.KOKX.WS.W.0002.000000T0000Z-150127T2300Z/ NORTHERN FAIRFIELD-SOUTHERN FAIRFIELD- 911 AM EST TUE JAN 27 2015 ...WINTER STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST THIS EVENING... * LOCATIONS...FAIRFIELD COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST CONNECTICUT. * HAZARD TYPES...SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW. * ACCUMULATIONS...ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 3 INCHES.

EPIC BUST.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 07:40 AM

18 posts, read 37,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfromct View Post
They shouldn't be declaring it "Epic" or "Historic" until AFTER it happens.

Well said. Less than 4 inches in southern litchfield county.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:43 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfromct View Post
They shouldn't be declaring it "Epic" or "Historic" until AFTER it happens.
But then they wont get viewers! I agree with you on this statement..that's exactly the problem.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:49 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
But then they wont get viewers! I agree with you on this statement..that's exactly the problem.
They need to hype their annual "Storm of the Century", though.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:52 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,035,382 times
What shocks me is that as late as after 10 last night, WTNH was saying on their newscast that dont be fooled, all this snow is still coming. Shouldn't they have been able to tell by then that it was changing?

Old 01-27-2015, 07:55 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Why. One of the things we say so much days before actually happened.

Why forecasters got the 'monster' Blizzard of 2015 so very wrong for N.J. | NJ.com

For New England, the storm could be historic. But according to the National Weather Service, the storm developed about 90 miles east of previous forecasts and is departing more quickly than predicted. Forecasters said sinking air, or subsidence – a reaction to steeply rising air in heavy snow bands to the east, effectively halted the heaviest precipitation in its westward march to New Jersey last night.

That small shift can mean the world in a storm like this, where snowfall total gradients are often razor thin. In the Boxing Day Blizzard of December 2010, parts of western New Jersey received just a few inches of snow while places like Elizabeth were digging out from nearly three feet.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:58 AM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
If they are embarrased, why is there STILL a indefinite travel ban for every other county? And they are still banning interstate travel in fairfield/litchfield?
He just gave a press conference at 8:30
I guess Malloy is less "embarrassed" than Cuomo or Christie

Interesting FB post from a Long Island weather blogger. I think he's one of those "teenagers" who normally overhypes, but good analysis this time:

"Ok, just gonna go ahead and say it now once and for all. BUST! At least it looks that way west of central Nassau. A few variables didn't quite come together at the last minute and we're only as good as the data that's in front of us. Though there were many different forecasts out there, they all had sound scientific, meteorologic knowledge behind them. It's not an exact science. We all know that. This is a learning experience we can use to help us nail it down better in the future. But in the grand scheme, the 2 foot snow swath was only about 75 miles further east than originally predicted. That's really not much, but the fact there was such a tight snowfall gradient to the west spelled trouble for western forecasts from the get go. You heard me mention several times how I thought NYC was the area where snow totals drop off sharply. On the bright side...SNOW DAY! Send me your pics to be featured on my future website!"

Old 01-27-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Why. One of the things we say so much days before actually happened.

Why forecasters got the 'monster' Blizzard of 2015 so very wrong for N.J. | NJ.com

For New England, the storm could be historic. But according to the National Weather Service, the storm developed about 90 miles east of previous forecasts and is departing more quickly than predicted. Forecasters said sinking air, or subsidence – a reaction to steeply rising air in heavy snow bands to the east, effectively halted the heaviest precipitation in its westward march to New Jersey last night.

That small shift can mean the world in a storm like this, where snowfall total gradients are often razor thin. In the Boxing Day Blizzard of December 2010, parts of western New Jersey received just a few inches of snow while places like Elizabeth were digging out from nearly three feet.
Great analysis ...thanks.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
What shocks me is that as late as after 10 last night, WTNH was saying on their newscast that dont be fooled, all this snow is still coming. Shouldn't they have been able to tell by then that it was changing?
Exactly! Thats the part I don't get.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
And just in the past hour, another green (heavy) band has exploded between Bridgeport and Torrington...
Yea that tongue is now over western CT and is snowing at a pretty good clip..first time all storm in Danbury area..lets see if it drops a few inches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut