Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 09:31 AM

468 posts, read 523,733 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure that Malloy threatened to allow grocery stores to sell wine along with beer unless the liquor store owners association agreed to Sunday sales.

When I lived in CA, you could buy hard liquor anywhere- drugstores, groceries, you name it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 05:15 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,857,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamz View Post
I'm pretty sure that Malloy threatened to allow grocery stores to sell wine along with beer unless the liquor store owners association agreed to Sunday sales.
No. He went better than that. The threat was that package store permits would be handed out like candy to corporations, rather than be restricted to just 3 permits(it was previously 2).

Old 02-02-2015, 05:26 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,495,418 times
Personally I think there are too many liquor stores in the state. Just down Washington Ave in North Haven about a mile stretch there are 5 stores. They all sell the same product and have crap variety. The only thing they are good for is Bud Light and other regulars but stay away from the small brews because they probably have been sitting on the shelf for a long time. Plus they are somewhat seedy with half stocked shelves and regular drunks hanging around the counter, no thanks.

I wish BJ's sold liquor like Costco did but I usually stick to the nicer stores like Amity in Hamden, or my favorite Coastal in Branford. Fresh stock, knowledgeable staff, great selections.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:47 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,750 times
In PA where my parents now live, you can only buy beer in cases and only directly from a distributor.

Lots of nonsense like this around depending on the state. Alcohol laws have been screwy ever since prohibition.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:02 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Personally I think there are too many liquor stores in the state. Just down Washington Ave in North Haven about a mile stretch there are 5 stores. They all sell the same product and have crap variety. The only thing they are good for is Bud Light and other regulars but stay away from the small brews because they probably have been sitting on the shelf for a long time. Plus they are somewhat seedy with half stocked shelves and regular drunks hanging around the counter, no thanks.

I wish BJ's sold liquor like Costco did but I usually stick to the nicer stores like Amity in Hamden, or my favorite Coastal in Branford. Fresh stock, knowledgeable staff, great selections.
I think BJ's in Fairfield sells liquor in a separate store. It may be just wine and beer though. Can't remember. Jay.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:49 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,896,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

I always thought it was strange you could buy hard liquor in pharmacies in CT.

In Michigan they have drive thru's at the package stores.

I have never seen liquor sold in a CT pharmacy. Where? It certainly isn't widespread.

I've seen drive thru liquor stores in North Carolina as well.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:09 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,985,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
In PA where my parents now live, you can only buy beer in cases and only directly from a distributor.

Lots of nonsense like this around depending on the state. Alcohol laws have been screwy ever since prohibition.
Yeah. Anyone in CT complaining about liquor laws has no concept how bad things could be - like PA's system. A leading example of state-sponsored monopoly and soviet-style central planning.

I was lucky to have grown up in Stamford, we only had to drive 15 minutes to Pound Ridge or Scott's Corner to pick up beer if we ran out of beer on Sunday. Must've sucked to have grown up in the middle of the state.

It was nice living in Virginia, where the Trader Joes have both wine and beer. I imagine revenue per store for the TJs in CT are below national averages because the ones I've been to that sell wine sell A LOT of wine.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:29 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,495,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think BJ's in Fairfield sells liquor in a separate store. It may be just wine and beer though. Can't remember. Jay.
Unfortunately not close enough for me.

Like I said I stick the more well known and wine oriented stores instead of the ones who have stocks of Miller, BL, and loads of Arbor Mist. Those stores many times look like a convenient store on it's last day of operations with bare shelves, old stripped paint, coolers that barely keep the beer cold, etc. Add to that the fact that there are a multitude within a given square mile and it just gets ridiculous.

I know when we go to OBX you have to buy liquor from an ABC store but wine/beer is available in a big selection from the Harris Teeter on your way to Corolla. When we go on vacations to Jersey or elsewhere we will sometimes just make a trip to NH to get our hard alcohol. Tax free and a much cheaper price, worth the drive for a day too when stocking up.

I'm taking a new approach this year and buying into wine making with my cousin and friends. They have gotten it down to a good formula with a bunch of different varieties and I'd be able to buy my cases at a fraction the price instead of buying the $15-30 bottle here and there all year round.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:04 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I have never seen liquor sold in a CT pharmacy. Where? It certainly isn't widespread.

I've seen drive thru liquor stores in North Carolina as well.
I remember the pharmacy near where I grew up in Fairfield doing this but have not seen that in years. Not sure any still do. Jay

Old 02-03-2015, 07:14 AM

627 posts, read 1,058,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Alcoholics prop up a surprising number of liquor stores, and they don't want to go far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut