Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 07:20 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
The Yukon. LOL! Btw, my cousin went RIT during that time period. I think he may have graduated 1985/1986. Random thought: I remember visiting him there in the early 80s -- we took him to dinner at a TGI Fridays's. First time I ever ate at a TGIF, and first time I ever had potato skins
I was there for only 85-86 before transferring back to UConn.

I just remember RIT tended to get double the snow CT would get. So, if I called home and my parents said they had gotten 4 inches of snow, Rochester probably got around 8 inches. Not sure if that is true every winter, but I do know that Rochester is also windier than the Windy City of Chicago, so it often felt really really cold there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 10:21 AM

10,059 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Definitely was not the Italian Center, because I have been there once since moving to CT for a Stamford Homeless Shelter fundraiser. It's been driving me crazy trying to figure out where I was all those years ago... Lol

Maybe this place doesn't exist anymore -- it would have been ~1987.
You said that it was a religious retreat. The only place in Stamford that I know is used for retreat is the Villa Maria Guadalupe which is somewhere north of the Merritt. I think its a Catholic place.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:40 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,605 times
I definitely think this is it! I just checked out the website and also looked at the Google street and satellite view. Thanks!

Old 02-06-2015, 06:13 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,001 times
Don't worry, I have no doubt in my mind that you are merely witnessing Gawker in the throes of death, flailing and puking out whatever clickbait it can in an attempt to struggle to survive.

Giving them hits, even to trash articles like this, lines their pockets with ad revenue. It is best to stop browsing them entirely.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:12 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
like our state or don't but what i don't understand is the absolute vitriolic hatred these idiots are spewing. what did we do to them? this is something i'd expect from Bostonites because of their inferiority complex towards NY (and to us re our proximity to the state) but not from NY'ers necessarily. what could they be threatened by - our proximity to Boston? don't think so. never understand why CT is so put upon by outsiders. we're really no different than the rest of the NE states - we're in abundance of NE charm IMO.
New Yorkers treat New Jersey that way all the time. Not surprising that CT, the other nextdoor neighbor, would get its turn at the whipping post.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
NY has bagels, but in is heyday as a restaurant, IMO Lenders freshly made bagels were the best I ever had. I won't buy their store ones; those misrepresent what they were.

Plus, IMO Bigelow makes the BEST specialty teas, despite dealing with much larger competitors.

I love NY, but this is typical neighboring state trash talk. All states have some things that are special.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:03 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
What comes from Connecticut he may ask?

hmm...

Vulcanized Rubber, the can opener, submarines, color television, ESPN, birth of american insurance, the frisbee, vacuum cleaners, hamburgers, the dictionary, the sewing machine, first state to have car laws, first state to have a successful artificial heart, home of Colt, The Beloved Hartford Whalers, birthplace of George Bush, Nathan Hale, and one of the wealthiest states in the country.

How much more could you ask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut