Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 07:05 AM

7 posts, read 13,089 times

Advertisements

Looking at some of the elementary schools in Norwalk, it seems that Cranbury is tops. Within two years, my toddler will be starting Kindergarten. I was wondering if anyone can recommend some apartment/condo complexes in that area. Or does Cranbury allow your child to attend their school if you pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 11:24 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
The Cranbury School does perform well above the state average on the Connecticut Mastery Test. It is one of the better performing public elementary schools in the city. Wolfpit and Rowayton Schools also perform above the state average. I am not sure what areas students come from for these schools and I could not find a district map. I am sure the landlord would know or you could contact the Board of Education but be careful. Some cities will bus students around to achieve certain racial and academic goals so while you could live near a particular school, your child could be bussed to a school in another part of town. While these particular schools are good, I am not sure I would pay to go to them. Jay

Old 02-10-2015, 12:06 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The Cranbury School does perform well above the state average on the Connecticut Mastery Test. It is one of the better performing public elementary schools in the city. Wolfpit and Rowayton Schools also perform above the state average. I am not sure what areas students come from for these schools and I could not find a district map. I am sure the landlord would know or you could contact the Board of Education but be careful. Some cities will bus students around to achieve certain racial and academic goals so while you could live near a particular school, your child could be bussed to a school in another part of town. While these particular schools are good, I am not sure I would pay to go to them. Jay
I remember someone here inquiring about Norwalk a few years ago, and i remember that Cranbury scores were surprisingly off the charts at the time. I know it's a nice area, but i was still kind of questioning the validity of the scores.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:47 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times
You can't pay a public school to go there, you have to live in the Cranbury district and Norwalk doesn't bus students to different areas. There may be a couple of condos that go there near Rt 7, ex. Foxboro and Winnipauk but not sure. The other 3 schools also on the east side of town are good as well and they go to the better middle school than Cranbury. They are the only 3 I would personally use in town.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:38 PM

20 posts, read 36,229 times
Cranbury school is zoned to the upper right corner of Norwalk, where there are more expensive homes and fewer apartment buildings compared to other parts of town. You might be able to find a rental home or condo there. Example of one home currently available in that area : 170 Grumman Ave, Norwalk, CT 06851 is For Rent - Zillow

FWIW, Wolfpit school is zoned to just underneath that area on the map and will likely have more of a wider/affordable selection. In my experience both schools are very good, both have an active PTA, and both have events like family pasta night and fundraising fairs. But remember, your child will be in kindergarten. IMO the elementary school experience in Norwalk is pretty much the same across *many* of the schools in Norwalk. You'd be just as fine with a child at say Fox Run or Jefferson magnet or Rowayton school, imo. It's the middle and high school level where you want to be a little more selective in school choice, if that's your concern.

But you won't have to think about schools for a few years yet. All of what you currently know about these schools could change, or school district boundaries could change, or any one school could suddenly have a staff exodus. There are also 2 magnet schools and a private Catholic school (All Saints) in town if you want other options.

Everyone will have their opinion on this, or some anecdotal horror stories about one elementary school or another. But as a parent, just make sure to get involved at whatever school you wind up at right away and ensure you are helping your child and his classmates get the elementary school experience that they need to thrive. A kid who wants to learn can succeed in *most* of the schools in Norwalk, especially at the elementary school level. Especially if there is parental involvement.

Also, Norwalk is not going to let you pay to send your child to a different school than you're zoned for. They pretty much adhere to zoned boundaries unless there are extreme extenuating circumstances like you move during the school year and you have a 5th grader who is about to graduate, or there is a divorce with shared custody. I know its scary to have a child entering kindergarten and everyone of course wants "the best" for their kid, but in this case it is definitely not necessary to go to desperate measures to get a 5 year old into one certain school, especially if you're just renting and not buying a house. GL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut