Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 06:10 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,721,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Utah, North Carolina, Virginia, Ohio, Iowa, Kansas all have good schools and lower property taxes

You might be trying to justify the high taxes because they are necessary for good schools, but this probably is just wishful thinking.

CT could cut spending and still have exceptional schools, other states do
Um, no. As I mentioned above, quality schools are just one of several things taken into account. If you read my previous post again in its entirety, you will see that I mentioned that another reason why the states you mentioned have lower taxes is because their communities are new. Wait a few years when defects in the underbelly become apparent. If it's not a tax of some sort, it will have to be paid for one way or another. There is no such thing as free.

Kansas has good schools? Oh, this is news. I have family members teaching in Witchita and from what they've told me their schools are drained of funds and in shambles, and are about to lose even more funding thanks to the fiscal incompetence of Sam Brownback. And from what I understand, Ohio's schools are nothing to brag about, either.

None of the states you mentioned are ones I would ever living in (except for Virginia). If there's any state CT should model itself after, it's New Hampshire: No state income tax, no clothing or alcohol tax, you can hitchhike, you can drive without a seatbelt, you can buy fireworks -- it personifies the state motto of Live Free or Die. They're fiscally conservative but socially liberal. IMO other states would benefit from their way of doing things, including ours.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 02-22-2015 at 07:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 06:13 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. Utah is nice but there really is not a lot there. Certainly no world-class city nearby. If you can afford to pay that much for a home, then you should be able to fork over a few thousand more in taxes each year. I am also glad you brought up Katy and The Woodlands in Texas. I had seen that home prices there were comparable to some parts of Connecticut and it is interesting to see that the taxes are as well. Sure you can live somewhere with lower taxes and cheaper homes but are they really equivalent? I don't think so. Jay
We have discussed The Woodlands before. It is one of the most affluent cities in Texas. It pretty much their version of Greenwich. You can't just look at a few towns and draw a conclusion. A similar home in an extremely affluent home in the coastal Northeast states would be far more expensive.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:05 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
We have discussed The Woodlands before. It is one of the most affluent cities in Texas. It pretty much their version of Greenwich. You can't just look at a few towns and draw a conclusion. A similar home in an extremely affluent home in the coastal Northeast states would be far more expensive.
No you can't but that is what other posters are doing. The point is that just like anywhere else, there are towns with good schools and towns with bad schools and generally speaking you must pay more for locations with good schools. The Woodlands was mentioned and is one of those places. Jay

Old 02-23-2015, 07:18 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Quote:
Utah, North Carolina, Virginia, Ohio, Iowa, Kansas all have good schools and lower property taxes
LOL, Kansas??? Are you aware of the giant tax disaster that state is currently in, courtesy of Governor Brownback? His excessive tax cuts have destroyed the state's finances. Do your homework before holding up that state as a model for the way things should be done.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:11 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:

You might be trying to justify the high taxes because they are necessary for good schools, but this probably is just wishful thinking.

CT could cut spending and still have exceptional schools, other states have done tis
First of all, you are confusing low cost-of-living states verses low taxes. There is a difference and that difference has to do with location and employment opportunities. Second, except for Utah, none of the states listed are in the top half of states with low taxes. And except maybe for Virginia, none of these states appear in the top for quality of schools on any of the lists I have seen. Jay

Old 02-23-2015, 03:11 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The more affluent area in TX is within Houston itself - the Bellaire section of Houston - I did a comparison here several months back - you get more house for your money in Westport than you do in Bellaire, and with lower property taxes in Westport. Or, the University area of Dallas where the median home price is well north of $1 million (I think it's $1.9 million?)

The Woodlands is more comparable to West Hartford because WH is mostly homes on small lots, like The Woodlands. Though The Woodlands is 105,000 to 110,000 people all in one big subdivision and the homes are generally newer and bigger than WH and the lot sizes in The Woodlands are often smaller.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:00 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
The more affluent area in TX is within Houston itself - the Bellaire section of Houston - I did a comparison here several months back - you get more house for your money in Westport than you do in Bellaire, and with lower property taxes in Westport. Or, the University area of Dallas where the median home price is well north of $1 million (I think it's $1.9 million?)

The Woodlands is more comparable to West Hartford because WH is mostly homes on small lots, like The Woodlands. Though The Woodlands is 105,000 to 110,000 people all in one big subdivision and the homes are generally newer and bigger than WH and the lot sizes in The Woodlands are often smaller.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to get across here. If it's to say there are more expensive areas in Texas than in CT - be mindful that you're cherry picking sections of cities and comparing them to actual cities in another state. If I wanted to do the same, I'd choose Conyers Farm or Belle Haven in Greenwich, where the average home is well north of several million. Similar comparisons can be made using sections of other CT communities as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut