Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 08:01 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
Every state in America depends on the fed gov for funding so your point it null, Texas probably borrows more then CT maybe but thats no big deal.

And no, roads get built and maintained from tax payers monies. You should be mad at your states BS and dont hate on others.
Actually CT gets less than a dollar back from the federal gov't for every dollar it sends to DC, while the opposite is true for Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 08:10 AM

684 posts, read 812,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I lived in Texas for 15 years. Yes, there are excellent schools in wealthy districts. These are exceptions. Let's look at some stats:

SAT Scores:
CT 1525
Texas 1432 (ranked 47th nationally)

SAT Participation Rate:
CT 88.4%
TX 62%

Dropout Rate:
CT 1.9%
TX 2.4%

% of Public School Teachers with a Masters Degree or Higher
CT 80%
TX 30%

Teachers in Texas make 8-10K below the NATIONAL average...

Middle and lower income school districts in Texas (over 600 of them) are suing the state for adaquate fundings so their students have such extravagances as desks, and school supplies.

I know there are exceptions on both sides-- excellent schools in Texas and lousy schools here-- but, on average, schools and outcomes are better in Connecticut.
You can say the same for the ghettos in all states as well, the schools usually are not so great and dont provide much for their students such as school supplies and desks as you claim. Just sayin

Numbers are just numbers, and that doesnt prove much imo. Its up to the child to perform regardless of the ratings. Now, i never said the schools in TX are better, i just said TX does have some great performing schools.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
McKinney and Plano do not have that low of taxes and there is the "hidden tax" called HOA fees which seem to be the norm in Texas in order to compensate for towns offering poor municipal services. A friend lives in a community that requires him to pay several thousand dollars a year in HOA fees to cover road maintenance, private security and common area maintenance on top of is taxes. His taxes are low but the schools are poor and he also has to pay for private schools so that his kids could go to a decent school.

And honestly, by far MOST of the teachers I know here in Connecticut are doing it to help the kids. If they really cared more about their paychecks (and honestly who doesn't), they would have gone into another profession. Jay
HOA fees? Come on lol , i can find HOA fees in many neighborhoods in CT as well as many other states. There are many homes without HOA fees, it just depends what you move into. Well it looks like your fiend wants to be a nimby and yes you will pay for services when you live in a community like that. Thats usually normal for ANY community that has HOA fees. I personally wouldn't buy a house with HOA fees. Yeah i can see how lovely the roads are out on the NE with all of your taxes paying for.. NOT.

The taxes are lower compared to the NE and your money gets you much more in TX then the NE. Thats a fact.

Highlighted in bold is funny considering the type of cities Plano and McKinney are, i lived in Plano for about 14 years and it has come a long way. Sorry but i call the BS flag on saying the schools are poor and your friend is sending his kids to a private school. I think your friend is sending them to a private school just because of personal preference.

Anyways, i will be returning back to the NE at the end of August, and will probably reside in CT. My wife and i had a good run down here but its time for us to come home, we are not southern people and we miss all our family dearly up north. We truly miss the NE , everything that comes with it , and unfort as much as i ***** about the NE , its a price i will pay to be happy

Last edited by MiaMia411; 02-19-2015 at 08:34 AM..

Old 02-19-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Actually CT gets less than a dollar back from the federal gov't for every dollar it sends to DC, while the opposite is true for Texas.

Duh Who said TX didnt ? I know TX borrows more but every state borrows regardless

Old 02-19-2015, 08:33 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
Duh Who said TX didnt ? I know TX borrows more but every state borrows regardless
How do we borrow when we get back less than we send? That is the antithesis of borrowing-- we're a net lender.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
How do we borrow when we get back less than we send? That is the antithesis of borrowing-- we're a net lender.
Sorry, i guess i need to re word my words. Not borrow but yes CT does get back less, i know this and i know TX does leech a bit. Im not sure if or when it will effect them but so far for many years its been doing fine.
You dont seem to look at the bigger picture tho, Texas has been booming for a while now. What has CT been doing? Coming up with more taxes, raising taxes, losing businesses , and the COL is all messed up. What has CT done or offered to boom its sleepy state? Whats the growth levels ? CT is lucky for fairfield county and its big insurance business, otherwise CT would be in big trouble.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:42 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
How can a state so large as Texas, with so much infrastructure and people possibly thrive without tapping into taxpayer funding somewhere somehow? It's not like the roads are being funded by private investment, let alone public education. The money has to come from somewhere.

It is 100% true that Texas is a net recipient of federal taxpayer funds. The state is "leeching" off the federal government. Connecticut is a net donor. Therefore, if anything, some of the funding for Texas infrastructure and programs come from income earned by people living and working in Connecticut. But it's okay really, because we're in the same country. These are federal funding after all. But still, just saying.

In conclusion, Texas is on national welfare, because it doesn't have a large enough state tax base for itself. How ironic. And furthermore, Texas DOES have plenty of taxes. Higher sales tax, county layer taxes, franchise taxes, property taxes, etc.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
How can a state so large as Texas, with so much infrastructure and people possibly thrive without tapping into taxpayer funding somewhere somehow? It's not like the roads are being funded by private investment, let alone public education. The money has to come from somewhere.

It is 100% true that Texas is a net recipient of federal taxpayer funds. The state is "leeching" off the federal government. Connecticut is a net donor. Therefore, if anything, some of the funding for Texas infrastructure and programs come from income earned by people living and working in Connecticut. But it's okay really, because we're in the same country. These are federal funding after all. But still, just saying.

In conclusion, Texas is on national welfare, because it doesn't have a large enough state tax base for itself. How ironic. And furthermore, Texas DOES have plenty of taxes. Higher sales tax, county layer taxes, franchise taxes, property taxes, etc.
The taxes you listed are stupid. That can be found anywhere. Nothing wrong with higher sales tax unlike your idiot buddy Malloy that thinks lowering a sales tax is the answer

I dont pay any taxes on my car here, nor do i have to pay the crazy gas prices you have. No income tax is taken out of our pay checks. So come again?

Well you always seem to want to donate your money so i dont see why you are mad about it?
Texas is a huge state, its growing , and there are millions of people here. The property taxes have gone up compared to before but in the end you do save more being down here. You cant even survive in fairfield county off of your salary, down here you can live like a king but i guess that doesnt matter right ?

Old 02-19-2015, 09:20 AM

879 posts, read 1,660,602 times
Quote:
I will have to disagree with this. I know schools in Plano , McKinney, and Frisco in the Dallas, TX area have EXCELLENT schools as well as some other suburbs in Austin, TX. The taxes are way lower then the NE. The problem is how the state is spending the tax dollars, funding, and pay scale but yet they want you to think you are getting all sorts of greatness for high taxes.

I know back in NJ i was reading an article about how some schools have over staffed schools, there is no reason to have 2 principles for a school and pay them over 100k each. I believe this is the problem in the NE.
Also, i feel like teachers no longer actually want to teach and help kids, they seem more worried about their pay checks.
I graduated from high school in Plano, Texas. I received a good education because I was in the IB program, but not everyone is so lucky. Keep in mind that Plano is one of the wealthiest cities in America, with very few pockets of poverty. That almost certainly keeps test scores high.

One thing that makes me NEVER want to move back and raise my kids there is because of the political involvement in education/curriculum. When I was there, they weren't really allowed to talk about evolution in science class. It was pretty outrageous. And now both TX and OK are showing political opposition to AP History instruction.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:20 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Numbers are just numbers, and that doesnt prove much imo.
So we should take your opinion (or anyone's) over unbiased statistics?

Not sure we really have much left to discuss if you want to ignore the factual in favor of feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut